Fishlake elk

Oaktree25

I haven’t been able to make it to Fishlake to scout this year, how’re the elk looking after that winter? How’re they sitting on population, size, and age?

If you have a late season tag, you still have time to get down there... I haven't seen anyone report on Fishlake at all this year on MM.

Good luck to ya.!

If you have a late season tag, you still have time to get down there... I haven't seen anyone report on Fishlake at all this year on MM.

Good luck to ya.!
Oh I don’t have the tag this year, I just usually try to make a trip down in September every year to see how there doing and I was only able to make it down in June and July so I couldn’t see how the growth did. But thanks for the kind words!

Lots of people and lots tree folks driving around and UTV tours for fall colors.. the elk numbers are there but they were chased hard in the 5 day hunt window, followed by the muzzy.. I ran into bulls in areas that only antelope hang out as to chill away from pressure. But the fall colors was nice with great weather

Lots of people and lots tree folks driving around and UTV tours for fall colors.. the elk numbers are there but they were chased hard in the 5 day hunt window, followed by the muzzy.. I ran into bulls in areas that only antelope hang out as to chill away from pressure. But the fall colors was nice with great weather
Sounds about right, I’m getting real sick of Pumpkin spice Twátés and their Subarus being all over the place.

Check out my last 2 posts under 2023 Hunt Adventures - All good things come to.... Fish Lake Mid season report 11 days...

Spent around 20 days scouting July, Aug, and Sept. Was able to make it down during the archery, early rifle, and muzzy. Rolled in the Weds before the Mid Season opener and spent 13 straight days. The number of people this year was unreal to say the least.

Elk report: Actually a few more cows than I expected to see during the summer. Not anywhere close to the Fishlake glory days when the Blue Light special took place, but I did see more than I expected going into this year. Looked at somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 different bulls this year. Age class seemed way down. I saw 2 bulls all summer that I thought would break 350. Some 320-330 bulls but most where in the 260-300 range. The rut was pretty slow and seemed to really hold the elk on the CWMUs this year. Hunted the first nine days of the Mid Season and saw 39 bulls total. Saw 9 bulls I thought would break 300 and 3 I thought would in the 330-340 range. We covered sage and cedars up to 11K.

I don't like what the Division has done with this unit and I think its sad. With proper management you could easily triple the amount of big bull permits and keep or improve the quality. Fishlake is the place I have grown up hunting elk and I have watched the ups and downs, I would say its fairly level and below potential on quantity and quality...but I think its exactly where and what the Division wants it to be.

Spent around 20 days scouting July, Aug, and Sept. Was able to make it down during the archery, early rifle, and muzzy. Rolled in the Weds before the Mid Season opener and spent 13 straight days. The number of people this year was unreal to say the least.

Elk report: Actually a few more cows than I expected to see during the summer. Not anywhere close to the Fishlake glory days when the Blue Light special took place, but I did see more than I expected going into this year. Looked at somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 different bulls this year. Age class seemed way down. I saw 2 bulls all summer that I thought would break 350. Some 320-330 bulls but most where in the 260-300 range. The rut was pretty slow and seemed to really hold the elk on the CWMUs this year. Hunted the first nine days of the Mid Season and saw 39 bulls total. Saw 9 bulls I thought would break 300 and 3 I thought would in the 330-340 range. We covered sage and cedars up to 11K.

I don't like what the Division has done with this unit and I think its sad. With proper management you could easily triple the amount of big bull permits and keep or improve the quality. Fishlake is the place I have grown up hunting elk and I have watched the ups and downs, I would say its fairly level and below potential on quantity and quality...but I think its exactly where and what the Division wants it to be.
Yeah sounds about what I’ve been seeing the last little bit. Damn, I was really hoping for something better this year with all the water we got this last year and was hoping to hear about and see some bigger bulls.

Yeah sounds about what I’ve been seeing the last little bit. Damn, I was really hoping for something better this year with all the water we got this last year and was hoping to hear about and see some bigger bulls.
I know there were a couple bigger bulls on the unit, I just never saw them. I thought the antler growth would be up too but it really was not from what I saw. I also think that age class is just down over all. The bull my wife killed I believe is 10-12 years old but he was an anomaly from what I saw this year.

I know there were a couple bigger bulls on the unit, I just never saw them. I thought the antler growth would be up too but it really was not from what I saw. I also think that age class is just down over all. The bull my wife killed I believe is 10-12 years old but he was an anomaly from what I saw this year.
Nice bull! I really hope it’s up and the size is getting better when I finally draw the tag, been scouting this unit for way too long.

I hunted it in the early rifle season this year. had fun but both the quality and quantity of bulls were not what I had hoped for, and I wasn't expecting that much.

Saw about 20 bulls probably, nothing much over 300". a few 350 type bulls were taken but the net would have been somewhat lower.

I took a decent bull the last day , was a little let down until I ran into a guy that bought a tag and ate it. was a tough hunt if you were picky.

And What Did Most Do?

Just What They Always Do!

They Don't Find What They Were Hoping For And The Last Day Or Two Something's Going Down!

After waiting 15 years to draw most people at least want some meat to take home. It’s their hunt and should be able to fill their tag how they want.

You Boys Can Do What you Want!

I'm Just Telling It How It Is!

No Different Than Somebody Waiting 3-5 Years To Draw A General Deer Tag!

What's The Attitude With 95% Of Them?

HINT:

I'm Killin Something!

Yup but it’s their right to do so. I haven’t harvested a deer in the last 15 years but that’s my choice. I’m not going to tell someone what they can or can’t shoot as long as it’s legal.

Yep.Bess is right that's what happens..today's the last day of Utah's general deer hunt now that 80% or so of the yearlings are killed off the public land anything that pops up today with a little bone on their head will be history... and that's just what happens

I've eaten plenty of tags, but after 25 years of applying I wasn't going to pass a good 6x6 the last day so someone in the next couple seasons could take him.

In my opinion this isn't a trophy unit, so if that's what you're holding out for either redefine trophy or get a tag soup cookbook.

EASY There 440!

We're Not Mad Abut You Shooting A Bull!

But We Have Heard You Mention The 25 Year Wait!

Ya It Hurts!

And It's A Big Chunk Of A Guys Life!

I've eaten plenty of tags, but after 25 years of applying I wasn't going to pass a good 6x6 the last day so someone in the next couple seasons could take him.

In my opinion this isn't a trophy unit, so if that's what you're holding out for either redefine trophy or get a tag soup cookbook.

No problem, mainly I'm just saying to anyone hunting this unit keep your expectations realistic. and from what I see in the new UT elk plan this is going to be the case in most units if not now real soon. that's why I chose to burn my points now.

The Mid season elk hunt was ridiculous ! The DWR gave out 80 mid season tags this year compared to 40 last year. Then all of the mid season big bull tag holders brought their buddies with spike tags to hunt with them. I was with a Multi season hunter Thursday and Friday as the all rolled in it was crazy how many rigs. People everywhere ! What Syncerus1 was talking about . We call the **** show. I have video on the first Sunday of the hunt. Someone shooting at a bull about 800 yards out for five minutes. They where hitting 30 to 40 yards low every time. The bull and his cows finally figured out they where shooting at him and left the area. My hunter asked if he could use my gun and go to the **** show. I told him no ! Thats not a place to learn to shoot long range even if the rifle can .

I was afraid of that happening with so many tags. I'm telling you I think this new elk plan is a big mistake.

I can think of a whole list of units worth 25 points. Fishlake is nowhere close to being on that list.

Me too. but if you were a NR you'd understand. there was only 1 NR preference tag in the unit this year and I got it by 1 point.

Assuming I lived to be 113 I could have possibly drawn one of the units I applied for the last 25 years.

Me too. but if you were a NR you'd understand. there was only 1 NR preference tag in the unit this year and I got it by 1 point.

Assuming I lived to be 113 I could have possibly drawn one of the units I applied for the last 25 years.
And how did you do ?

300 type 6x6. I saw 1 a little better before season but nothing better during. 5 day season just isn't enough I wish I'd had more time.
I spent 3 of the 5 days down there…I’m glad we had the 13 day Mid Season for sure!!!

I think the same issues occurred in the Manti this year.
I had a mid season tag and even packed in 4 miles, there were lots of hunters. Opening day I heard 8-10 bulls and saw 5. The 2 of interest were a 6x6 and a 5x6. The 5x6 was much heavier and I took him. I love mass. Even so the fronts on this bull were incredible. He scored in the 310 range and I am very happy with him.

That said, this was by far the biggest bodied bull I have ever killed. I hunted with Apex outfitters and would highly recommend them. They put no pressure on me to shoot this bull. I made the call and am very happy with it.

It makes sense to me that antler development this year happened this way: the heavy snow up high delayed the access to upper elevation forage and lush growth by about 3 weeks this year. When they did finally get there, their fronts grew great, but they ran out of time on the back end to finish well in the back. I have no doubt on a regular year my bull would have finished out at least 20” better. I am sending in a tooth and suspect he is an older bull. They were worn but not enough that he was ancient.

I think the same issues occurred in the Manti this year.
I had a mid season tag and even packed in 4 miles, there were lots of hunters. Opening day I heard 8-10 bulls and saw 5. The 2 of interest were a 6x6 and a 5x6. The 5x6 was much heavier and I took him. I love mass. Even so the fronts on this bull were incredible. He scored in the 310 range and I am very happy with him.

That said, this was by far the biggest bodied bull I have ever killed. I hunted with Apex outfitters and would highly recommend them. They put no pressure on me to shoot this bull. I made the call and am very happy with it.

It makes sense to me that antler development this year happened this way: the heavy snow up high delayed the access to upper elevation forage and lush growth by about 3 weeks this year. When they did finally get there, their fronts grew great, but they ran out of time on the back end to finish well in the back. I have no doubt on a regular year my bull would have finished out at least 20” better. I am sending in a tooth and suspect he is an older bull. They were worn but not enough that he was ancient.
I am curious to get the tooth data back this year as well. My wifes bull was wore down to the gum line . Here is a pic of the Ivories next to last years AZ bull that was aged at 5.
IMG_9473.jpeg
IMG_9474.jpeg

The Manti bulls were also shedding last year's antlers almost a month later than normal in many instances.

I was educated a little bit recently on how much testosterone and energy it takes for a bull to shed and then begin the process of re-growth. So while in my naive head I saw all this water and thought "this is going to be an epic antler growth year," the reality is this was a recipe for terrible antler growth in most places, and it played out that way.

Hunting is really fun even if the inches don't stack up to record levels. I'm glad you all are pleased with your bulls!

image.jpg
image.jpg

My bull’s ivory. And he only had one. Could be mine was older than I thought. I am very pleased with my bulls antlers. After 20 yrs of waiting you wonder. You roll the dice and take your chances. I am very pleased with my results. Watched him bring his herd from 600 yards (my limit is 400) to a broadside shot at 330. Watched him bugle numerous times as he followed his cows. That will stay etched in my mind forever.

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom