Flying Out of LAX w/ Rifle

CFMuley

I’m likely headed to Kyrgyzstan next month to hunt, and flights are about $1400 less out of LAX than they are out of SLC. I’m planning on getting a cheap flight to LAX and leaving from there, but wanted to know if there’s anything I should be aware of flying into and out of there with a rifle and ammo.

A quick google search makes it seem easy enough, I just wanted to make sure there’s nothing I’m missing. Thanks in Advance.

so i don’t have experience flying from there with ammo and rifle BUT the air port is kinda a cluster and depending what terminal you land at and on how soon your connecting flight takes off/ the terminal that flight leaves from. if it’s not in the same terminal and a quick connection your luggage might not make it.

this was a few years ago so maybe it’s change but i mean it’s LA so….
best give your connecting flight some time in between? my flight was domestic to international and i remember taking a bus between terminals
what are you hunting there?

Last edited:
You thinking connecting flight or separate airline? I would definitely plan an extended layover. I think a connecting flight might be less of a headache. What are you hunting?

You thinking connecting flight or separate airline? I would definitely plan an extended layover. I think a connecting flight might be less of a headache. What are you hunting?
Separate airline. I’d be flying Turkish Airlines from LAX. Flying from LAX I’d have one stop in Istanbul, where as flying from Salt Lake most flight options have 3 or 4 stops. I’d be hunting Ibex.

so i don’t have experience flying from there with ammo and rifle BUT the air port is kinda a cluster and depending what terminal you land at and on how soon your connecting flight takes off/ the terminal that flight leaves from. if it’s not in the same terminal and a quick connection your luggage might not make it.

this was a few years ago so maybe it’s change but i mean it’s LA so….
best give your connecting flight some time in between? my flight was domestic to international and i remember taking a bus between terminals
what are you hunting there?
If fly a separate airline and give myself quite a bit of time. Flying from Salt Lake has me nervous due to numerous connections.

I would call Steve Turner with TWG (Travel With Guns) and get the correct and up to date info. Might also get a better deal on flights. I have used them multiple times in a dozen countries and have been impressed with their service.

It’s worth $1400 to not have to go thru LAX.
The price is one factor, but not having so many connections is the main one. I’m fairly concerned about getting over there and not having my luggage. I plan on flying with enough gear in my carry on that I could still hunt so long as I could scrounge up a rifle to borrow, but I hope it doesn’t come to that.

I would call Steve Turner with TWG (Travel With Guns) and get the correct and up to date info. Might also get a better deal on flights. I have used them multiple times in a dozen countries and have been impressed with their service.
Thank you, I’ll give him a ring!

The price is one factor, but not having so many connections is the main one. I’m fairly concerned about getting over there and not having my luggage. I plan on flying with enough gear in my carry on that I could still hunt so long as I could scrounge up a rifle to borrow, but I hope it doesn’t come to that.
I feel ya. I just don’t have a very good track record thru LAX. I used to have to go thru there regularly. I kinda feel like the little airports who handle hunters regularly are the best for not sending your gun to Hawaii without you.

Dulles is the other one I make every effort to avoid. And LGA of course.

Last edited:
I've flown with guns on Turkish Airlines out of LAX with no issue multiple times. Just give yourself a lot of extra time to check in. It really depends on the airline and Turkish Airlines deals with firearms all the time. Make sure that you lock the case with non-TSA locks and have the key handy. Usually, an agent will walk with you from the check-in counter over to a different security area where they check the case, maybe have you open it, and then throw on the belt around the corner. If possible, I have the bolt packed out of the gun (its own little slot in the foam) and no extras packed with the rifle. Give them as little to complain about as possible. I do agree that the small fee paid to Steve at TWG is a lifesaver if anything goes sideways. No brainer for me when flying overseas for a hunt.

Another thing I wish I had done a lot sooner... Get yourself a pack of Airtags and throw those in all the checked bags. If anything gets delayed or doesn't show up, they become invaluable.

4-pack for $100

flying with a gun is pretty simple and the airport or the state doesn't really have an affect or jurisdiction over how TSA handles them. once ts claimed and checked its just baggage. i check a hand gun all the time when flying, and not to hand gun friendly places (family in Seattle) . spend a lot of money on a good case

I would do the cheap flight from SLC and overnight near LAX. That gives them a day to correct the things that may go wrong. (Late flight, canceled flight, missing luggage, etc.)

There is always a risk flying multiple airlines. If the first airline makes you miss your next flight the second airline doesn’t care. They didn’t cause it so it isn’t their job to fix it.

These web sites like Expedia do that a lot. Expedia will try to straighten things out but you will be dealing with Expedia, not the airline.

Like Bobby 7321 said, you can’t use TSA locks, they have to be a lock that only you have the key to.

Carrying ammo in your gun case varies. Most domestic carriers you can have ammo in the gun case. Some foreign carriers you can’t, Air Canada for one. I had my guns out in the middle of the floor in the Vancouver airport getting my ammo out of the case and putting it in my luggage. No one payed any attention to me waving guns around in the middle of the airport.

You can’t carry ammo on and some places you can’t have it in the gun case but I have never had it in a locked box or declared it. Just in my luggage with my clothing and other gear.

Another thing I wish I had done a lot sooner... Get yourself a pack of Airtags and throw those in all the checked bags. If anything gets delayed or doesn't show up, they become invaluable.

4-pack for $100
Good call. My cousin had AirTags in his rifle case and luggage when we flew to Alaska this year. It was reassuring to know that we had at least one rifle with us in case the other got lost.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I fly somewhat frequently with a rifle and always do a hard case with a non TSA lock in every spot. I just wasn’t sure about the ammo because I normally just put a couple boxes in with my rifle. Sounds like I should separate it and lock it up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom