Flying with firearms

foundation

Very Active Member
I did a search but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Does anybody know if you can have a handgun and a rifle in the same hard sided rifle case when flying with Delta or Alaska Air. Delta rules talk about a approved rifle case with two rifles or a case with five handguns. It just seems logical to me that I should be allowed to have a handgun next to the rifle in the case. I have flown a few times with a handgun so I know about how anal they are with specific things.

While on the subject does anybody know if a normal sized hard rifle case is considered oversize with Delta?

Since you know which airline you plan to use, call them and get the up to date regulations they have for your firearms. If someone on here gives you wrong information, you might be in for a very unpleasant surprise when you show up at the airline counter with your cased guns.

RELH

Just take the Barrel off the Rifle & throw it all in a Big Suitcase!

Wrap the Pieces with several Wraps of Heavy Tin Foil and Wrap the Whole Suitcase with about 8 Rolls of Duct/Gorilla Tape!

Had an Inspector say:I ought to do a Search on your Bag!

I said:Go ahead,but when you're done it better be Wrapped back up just like you've found it,He gave me some bad looks!:D

That's what I did!:D

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

On your question if you gun cases is considered oversize..If your under 50lbs then no...I flew to Texas with 2 rifles and mine was like 55lbs so I ended up paying like $25 bucks. I flew Delta.

The problem I am running in to is I have got various answers from the airlines when I call. I spoke with some one who said having a handgun and rifle in one case was no problem. My hunting partner called to verify and he was advised more along the lines of what the written instructions advised concerning rifles in one case and handguns in a separate case. So I guess it just depends on what day a guy shows up or who they talk with. Very confussing.

Bess it sounds like your trying to get me on the no-fly list.

Browning thanks. I will have to weigh the case but I should be under the 50 lbs.

I've flown Delta several times with rifles and handguns together. Never an issue, and nobody ever said anything. The big concern, as mentioned, is being under 50 pounds. I will be flying to Alaska again this fall with two rifles and a handgun in a Tuffpak case. I don't expect any issues about the number of guns. But I don't intend to make an issue of it either. I will just declare I have firearms in the case (nobody ever asks how many) and will sign the declaration and take the bag to TSA for inspection. Pretty simple in SLC. Your mileage may vary, but it has never been a problem.
Bill

>The problem I am running in
>to is I have got
>various answers from the airlines
>when I call. I
>spoke with some one who
>said having a handgun and
>rifle in one case was
>no problem. My hunting
>partner called to verify and
>he was advised more along
>the lines of what the
>written instructions advised concerning rifles
>in one case and handguns
>in a separate case.
>So I guess it just
>depends on what day a
>guy shows up or who
>they talk with. Very
>confussing.
>
> Bess it sounds
>like your trying to get
>me on the no-fly list.
>
>
> Browning thanks.
>I will have to weigh
>the case but I should
>be under the 50 lbs.
>

Not at all foundation!

Just offering Experience!:D:D:D

8078cougar.jpg

I've also got Experience crossing the Nellis Air Force Base with Weaponry to get in to the Las Vegas NASCAR Track!

Word of Warning!

There is an Ornery little Bastage that Does Inspections on Shuttle Buses crossing the Nellis Base!:D:D:D

8078cougar.jpg

>>The problem I am running in
>>to is I have got
>>various answers from the airlines
>>when I call. I
>>spoke with some one who
>>said having a handgun and
>>rifle in one case was
>>no problem. My hunting
>>partner called to verify and
>>he was advised more along
>>the lines of what the
>>written instructions advised concerning rifles
>>in one case and handguns
>>in a separate case.
>>So I guess it just
>>depends on what day a
>>guy shows up or who
>>they talk with. Very
>>confussing.
>>
>> Bess it sounds
>>like your trying to get
>>me on the no-fly list.
>>
>>
>> Browning thanks.
>>I will have to weigh
>>the case but I should
>>be under the 50 lbs.
>>
>
>Not at all foundation!
>
>Just offering Experience!:D:D:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
8078cougar.jpg

Well a guy cant argue with experience I guess, even if its a bad experience.

>I've flown Delta several times with
>rifles and handguns together. Never
>an issue, and nobody ever
>said anything. The big concern,
>as mentioned, is being under
>50 pounds. I will be
>flying to Alaska again this
>fall with two rifles and
>a handgun in a Tuffpak
>case. I don't expect any
>issues about the number of
>guns. But I don't intend
>to make an issue of
>it either. I will just
>declare I have firearms in
>the case (nobody ever asks
>how many) and will sign
>the declaration and take the
>bag to TSA for inspection.
>Pretty simple in SLC. Your
>mileage may vary, but it
>has never been a problem.
>
>Bill

Thanks Packer, that information makes me feel better and was along the lines of how I thought it should be. Its interesting that they have never even opened your case up. From Salt Lake I have flown with a handgun a few times and like you sometimes they never open the case, but the last time I flew the guy at the xray machine wanted me to open the case and then he wrapped his big ##### skinners around my 1911 and worked the slide a few times. He was checking it out big time and it kind of made my blood boil because in my mind you don't touch until you ask the owner.

So I hear ya on mileage may vary.

>The problem I am running in
>to is I have got
>various answers from the airlines
>when I call. I
>spoke with some one who
>said having a handgun and
>rifle in one case was
>no problem. My hunting
>partner called to verify and
>he was advised more along
>the lines of what the
>written instructions advised concerning rifles
>in one case and handguns
>in a separate case.
>So I guess it just
>depends on what day a
>guy shows up or who
>they talk with. Very
>confussing.
>
> Bess it sounds
>like your trying to get
>me on the no-fly list.
>
>
> Browning thanks.
>I will have to weigh
>the case but I should
>be under the 50 lbs.
>

I have experienced this same thing when calling to verify what my research led me to believe...
I suggest calling to the very terminal you will fly out of and ask to speak with a supervisor of the highest level available, because chances are you know much more about regs than most who work there. Get something definite from someone there who knows and go from there.

good luck!
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom