For those who have killed Oryx

iccyman001

May I just ask:

What caliber did you use?
How far was your shot?
What range were you practice out to prior the hunt?
How many shots?

Thank you for any information.

Bigger is better imo I would use a 300 win mag.
Definitely solid core bullets no ballistic tips. Practice out to 400 and hope they will be closer. Usually 1 to 3 shots are taken one to finish them off they are tough for sure.these are just what I do not saying something else is not as good but I have done quite a few hunts and always help out buddies. These are just my guidlines.

I killed one and have seen another two shot.All were shot with my baby a 300 win mag savage 110 hs p. 185 grain berger bullets.All 3 shots were 200 yards and closer.Shot placement was good on all 3 that's the key. All 3 died within 50 yards of being hit.

I killed both of mine with a .338. Both less than a hundred yards. If you break both front shoulders, they can't go very far.

My brother and I killed on the same hunt using .300 WSM and .300 ultra mag. Shots were 50 yards and 125 yards - both dropped immediately. I would say the most important thing is being able to find them and judge them - shooting them was not all that challenging. My nephew has a tag for this coming year so I am really excited to get a chance to go after them again.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-15 AT 02:07PM (MST)[p]I have taken three. Farthest shot was 225 all were taken with a 300 win mag. Two animals dropped with one shot, the other dropped and got back up, walked about 25 feet and I put another in her and she stayed down.

I used a 300 Wby Mag. I practiced out to 1000 yards but I do that anyway, not just for this hunt. I shot my oryx at less than 200 yards and one shot is all it took. Bullet placement is key. Put the bullet into the vitals it will go down. They are the toughest animals I have ever seen though.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-15 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]Thank you for all of the feed back.
I am a bow hunter, but drew an oryx tag.

I have a .308 and im good 300 yards and in. I will practice out to 400, just to be extra ready.

I wanted to ask, mostly to see what average shot distances were and if I would be safe using a .308 or if I would need to upgrade my weapons.

Seems like .300 is very popular.

Its talked about over and over and gets old but its really about shot placement. If you look below, all the broadside shots, the oryx didn't run more than 50 yards. All the quartering shots, they ran much further. It didn't matter the caliber, an 8mm Rem Mag at the same distance as a .30-06 and the .30-06 killed it much more efficiently because of the shot placement.

OIL Oryx-
.30-06
150 grain Core-Lokt
257 yard broadside shot
One shot. Through both lungs. Found the bullet on the far side in between ribs and hide. He ran about 50 yards then killed over.

Off-Range Oryx-
.30-06
150 grain Core-Lokt
206 yards quartering away
One shot. Ran about 150 yards before falling over.

Grandfather's OIL-
8mm Rem Mag
220 grain (bullet type unknown)
260 yards quartering away
One shot. Ran about 100 yards away, turned around and ran to about 100 yards in front of him before falling over

Grandfather 1st Off-Range-
.30-.378 Wby Mag
168 grain Barnes TTSX
110 yards
One shot. Broadside dropped it in its tracks

Grandfather's 2nd Off-Range
.300 Win Mag
168 grain Barnes TTSX
241 yards
One shot. Broadside dropped in its tracks

Mine was slowly walking at about 200 yards and I used a 300 mag, shot placement wasn't where I wanted it, but it was luckily a bobble in the right direction, dropped in its tracks, stone dead. If you are going to flub up your shot I can tell you that hitting them at the connection point of the skull to the spine is a very quick and humane kill!(not something I would have tried for) I will say that they provide you with a lot of good info, showing how shot placement is different than where you would normally try on North American game, the heart lungs are more forward and angle upward in comparison to north American game, also they showed how the spine curves down through the neck to make it less susceptible to a lion bite.

I've shot three, recovered two. First (RC) was a 7mmRM @ 25 yards. After a 24-hour track job where I had to leave the base for the evening and come back the next day, I ended up not recovering that animal (probably the worst feeling I've ever experienced on a hunt). The second one (McG) I shot at less than a hundred yards with my 300WSM. This one also ended up being an overnight track job but I'm happy to say that I recovered that one. The third (Off-range), was shot twice with my 7mmRM, the first shot at about 150 yards, then a second shot that knocked it down at about 400 yards. One of these was right thru the shoulder and the other was right in the crease behind the same shoulder (I don't know which shot was which). But then it got up again and started heading towards the dreaded fence. I shot twice more and saw the bullet spray dust just in front of the animal. My final shot, which ended up being a neck shot, was over 700 yards, but immediately anchored it.

I recognize that a big part of this incompetence is 100 percent on me; but still, oryx can be hard to kill.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-15 AT 03:19PM (MST)[p]Sample of 2 from a year ago...no harder to kill than an elk from what I saw.

My buddy shot his at 220 yards with a 257 weatherby and 100 grain tsx...one shot in the shoulder, 10 yards and done.

I shot mine at about 150ish or so with a 7RM and 160 accubond, broadside tight behind the shoulder, went 40-50 yards and done.

I personally wouldn't "upgrade" to a 300...the 308 will work fine.

I was not the shooter but a guest and saw 1-killed by a 30-06 168 NBT. 1st shot too far back it ran and required a second neck shot.250-yards #1, #2 further. Not the calibers fault.

Second was a .338WM and 210 NP my handload with H4350. Dropped in its tracks DRT. Shot was in the front shoulder. 150-yards or so.

Last one I was witness too was a young kid and a .308 with 150gr Rem Corlockt, 1-shot done in the shoulder around 75-yards.

IMO it's all about bullet placement and bullet penetration. Go with controlled expanding to break bone.

Been a part of 10 Oryx kills.

6 - 270 150 grain nosler partition
4 - 30.06 180 grain nosler partition

Farthest one that ran was with the 30.06, about 100 yards. Bullet placement was a little high on that one. Shot my first bull with the .270 at 250 yards and it broke both shoulders. Never went anywhere.

Travis

i have been on enough hunts to know that it is all shot placement and not the size of the bullet. you have to break them down through the shoulder period. I have tracked lots of them and had a lot of folks one shot a lot of them. all one shot kills were through the point of the shoulder.

gf took this cow with two shots from a 7mm-08 using 140 grain Nosler accubonds...I agree with others above stating it's placement not the size of the rifle...if I draw a rifle tag I won't hesitate using this caliber...I don't like my shoulder feeling like crap after shooting a rifle...bigger isn't always better...

8358imagejpeg_0_8.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-15 AT 11:07PM (MST)[p]It is all about shot placement, on oryx it's the point of the shoulder and not the crease. That being the case I would suggest the most caliber you can shoot accurately. Mine went down in 30 yrds with a .338 WM (250 Nosler Partition) it's an incredible combo if you can handle the recoil. I shoot with a muzzle brake practicing and pull it off in the field. Never felt any recoil with game in my cross hairs lol. They are a tough animal....period. The more medicine the better busting through shoulder

It looks like I drew for the first time so I'm already starting the over the top keyboard research, lol.

When you guys say point of shoulder, do you mean higher, towards the blade (point 3) to break it and anchor the animal or inline with front leg, over the vitals (point 2)? I know point 1 is a no-no.

m7rfba.jpg

(Source: Africahunting.com)

>It looks like I drew for
>the first time so I'm
>already starting the over the
>top keyboard research, lol.
>
>When you guys say point of
>shoulder, do you mean higher,
>towards the blade (point 3)
>to break it and anchor
>the animal or inline with
>front leg, over the vitals
>(point 2)? I know point
>1 is a no-no.
>
>
>
m7rfba.jpg

>
>(Source: Africahunting.com)

I'm in the same boat, time to start looking into as much as I can and shooting as much as I can.

Thank you again everyone for all of your help.

Not an expert on oryx, but I can tell you that I shot this one tight behind the shoulder and it went 40-50 yards and died. I caught the back 1/3rd of the shoulder blade on the entrance side. Exit was, well, you can see it.

I don't believe the lungs sit that much more forward on oryx as most claim, as the lungs on this one had a nice hole through both of them.

I could be wrong though, as I've only shot one and seen another shot. IMO/and limited experience, shoot them tight behind the shoulder and you should be good.

IMG_1522_1_.JPG

In between #2 and #3 is perfect. A shot in #2 or #3 you will have a dead oryx as well. Aiming in between the two will give you some wiggle room in case it's a little high or little low.

I can't help much. Used a 7mmRM practiced at 200 yards, shot at 50 yards and it ran 3 yards and piled up. Hit it in the #1 spot.
Mike

That's beautiful, I hope I get a shot at any oryx if I did in fact draw the off-range hunt. Something like that would be a blessing in addition to good eating!

Vitals are a little more forward on all of African game, Oryx is certainly included. Assuming the animal is broadside, your aim point should be straight up front leg and the bottom 1/3 of the animal.

300 Win, 180 gr bullets
Around 200 yard shot
Shot 2 times

In between #2 and #3 is perfect. A shot in #2 or #3 you will have a dead oryx as well. Aiming in between the two will give you some wiggle room in case it's a little high or little low.

My first one was a cow that came to me after a tough hunt on the White Sands a few years ago. I took her with a 200 grain Nosler Accubond from my 300 RUM broadside through both shoulders at 100 yards. I had done a ton of research on killing those supposedly bullet proof African animals, and it was the textbook shot but she just kinda looked at me and wobbled around a bit in a sickly kind of manner. I couldn't believe she took that and as she turned quartering away I put another in her right flank that stopped just under the hide on the opposite shoulder, and she lay down and died.

The second one I shot was with a 30.06 that I borrowed from my PH in Botswana in 2012. I was shooting 180 grain Norma Oryx ammo and just as I was getting set up for the shot, a cow spotted me and bolted, taking the whole group of Gemsbok with her. I continued to aim and swing with the big bull as he sped away and when the sight picture got right I made my squeeze and felt good with the shot. I did not quite realize how quickly these animals can build speed and the bullet, although angling forward, hit a bit farther back than it needed to. Of course, this was all made evident to me after a worrisome tracking job that my Zimbabwean and Bushman tracker actually made look a lot easier than it really was.

Like stated above, shot placement is crucial! I was within 150 yds. of both the oryx I harvested. Both animals were on the ground with one shot. The first oryx was hit straight on a little high through the neck and exited the side of neck after hitting the spine. the second was on a full run about 100 yds. and I hit her square through the front shoulders. The bullet went completely through and she did not get up after the first shot. I was shooting a .338-378 Weatherby. It was overkill but there was no tracking invovled. I shot both of mine in the early evening.

A few days later we spotted this freak hanging out all by himself and not exactly acting like your normal Gemsbok. After knocking him down with one good shot in the shoulder off the sticks at a couple hundred yards with the PH's sweet shooting custom Mauser '06 we approached him and observed that the horn had come full circle and pressed against his forehead so that it actually split the horn. I am a big fan of collecting freak horns and antlers of all types and this one is at the top of my favorite list!

This exceptional bull fell to the little lady's well placed crossbow bolt from the smokin' PSE TAC Elite a couple of years ago back in Botswana. Although shot perfectly through both shoulders at a waterhole from a blind at about 25 yards distance, the tough critter covered a lot of distance before expiring and didn't leave the kind of blood trail that you would have expected.

Savage 270, 150 grain bullet, shot twice, 1st shot broadside at 250yds pulled the shot hit far back, second shot 300ish yards broadside hit him in right above black stripe up front leg, he went 10 yards dropped, shot thru the heart.

I was told 270 to small of a caliber......ok

Shot placement is the key, just like on any other animal. I practiced at 250-400 yds.

30-06 (180 Barnes TSX, 56 grains Ramshot Big Game Powder)
542 yards
practiced up to 450 yards
2 shots

Shot this in 2013 at 1:30 PM Sunday of the WSMR Rhodes Canyon. Would not have taken such a long shot but it was getting to be "desperation time". It was a nice 36" female. After the hunt, I went home and bought a 300 win mag and a night force scope. My advice: is practice out to 650 yards and hope to shoot one at 150 yards.

The wife and I both used a .338 WM 210 gr Nosler Partition. She hit hers at 301 yards on the sweet spot at the point of the shoulder, broke both shoulder and down in 20 feet. I shot mine behind the shoulder at 285 yards and took two more to finish it. Walked about 100 yards after the first shot.

I like the Partition on oryx. Your .308 will be fine with 180 Partition.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

The heart is forward of our North American game. You need to shoot thru the shoulder blade if the animal is broadside.

If you drew Rhodes I have some good advice. It took me mid way thru the second day to figure it out. It's can be a stressful hunt. I felt like they needed a big countdown clock posted.

Here's my 2 off-range oryx, both with a .338 win mag. and 225 gr. A-frames. Anchored both on the spot.

offrange.jpg

08oryx-1.jpg

My son's two off-range oryx were taken with a .30-06, 180 grain A-frames. Both of these oryx also anchored on the spot.

DSC01015.jpg

oryx1.jpg

Unbelievable, I knew I drew Oryx but now I confirmed it is the badged hunt in February!!! Just gotta confirm my buddy got his badge in time.

>Unbelievable, I knew I drew Oryx
>but now I confirmed it
>is the badged hunt in
>February!!! Just gotta confirm my
>buddy got his badge in
>time.

I drew it for Feb too!!!!!!!

Stallion range

>>Unbelievable, I knew I drew Oryx
>>but now I confirmed it
>>is the badged hunt in
>>February!!! Just gotta confirm my
>>buddy got his badge in
>>time.
>
>
>I drew it for Feb too!!!!!!!
>
>
>Stallion range
Stallion range January, should be a good hunt.

>>>Unbelievable, I knew I drew Oryx
>>>but now I confirmed it
>>>is the badged hunt in
>>>February!!! Just gotta confirm my
>>>buddy got his badge in
>>>time.
>>
>>
>>I drew it for Feb too!!!!!!!
>>
>>
>>Stallion range
>
> Stallion
>range January, should be a
>good hunt.

Good luck!
Save me one to shoot!

Shot placement.

10-year old daughter used her .243 to drop a 31" cow in her tracks with a 90-yard shot. Not a spine hit; right in the lungs exactly on the X provided by WSMR/NMG&F.

Would I recommend a longer shot with the .243...no. But then again we like to get close anyway.

Whatever gun you shoot accurately will do just fine.

Carl

Shot placement is key. As Aaron pointed out, point of aim should be between #2 & #3 on the one picture.

I think shot placement is a bigger deal than bullet size, but I also think the bigger bulls tend to be the ones with the stronger will to survive...the ones the stories of tuffness are about. The smaller bulls and cows do not soak up the lead like the big ones tend to.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-15 AT 04:58PM (MST)[p]>Shot placement is key. As
>Aaron pointed out, point of
>aim should be between #2
>& #3 on the one
>picture.
>
>I think shot placement is a
>bigger deal than bullet size,
>but I also think the
>bigger bulls tend to be
>the ones with the stronger
>will to survive...the ones the
>stories of tuffness are about.
> The smaller bulls and
>cows do not soak up
>the lead like the big
>ones tend to.
-------------------------------------------------
I ended up shooting a 42" Gemsbok Oryx in 1992 that was just a toad, but beautiful as they are. The distance was 498 according to the range finder. 300 Winchester with a 165 Hornady Ballistic tip boat-tail did well and I found it under the skin on the opposite side of the animal. Animal wise they are about the size of a spike bull elk, although mine was more like a mature bull elk.
I wouldn't classify the as any harder to stop than a elk, they are a thin skinned African animal with hide more like the thickness of a deer rather than that of a elk.
I do recommend the magnums .300 or 7 mag because of the distance you will be shooting it is very likely over 300 yards.
At that yardage many shooters start falling out in the skill to hit the target every time. Also at that range even if you don't think there is wind, your wrong, there is and the wind sped close to you affects the bullet more than the wind speed close to the animal.
My 2 cents.
Thank-you
Greg
Greg Merriam
Senior Hunt Locator
Master Hunt Broker
Master Land Owner Voucher Broker
Discounted Hunts LLC
Outdoor Writers LLC
Pro-Staff Dead Down Wind Scent Products
Pro-Staff Benchmaster Shooting Accuracy Products
1204 Button Rock Drive
Longmont, Co 80504
303-776-7528 Voice
303-746-1214 Cell Phone
Email: [email protected]
Web Page: http://www.discountedhunts.net
Web Page: http://www.ColoradoElkHuntingOutfitters.com/
Utube: Discounted Hunts
Web Page for Vouchers This is the Link to the land Owner Voucher List
http://www.discountedhunts.net/Pages/LandownerVouchers.aspx

Shoot, I just found out my buddy didn't get his badge info in on time. Now I'm scrambling through my list of friends of friends for the Feb badge hunt in order to meet the July deadline.

Just a little excitement and then 6+ months of waiting!

Have killed 23 of them myself in Namibia, on 3 trips. 3 trophies to export and the others to cull numbers or sell for biltong. Have been along on maybe 2 dozen other gemsbok kills with friends. I personally prefer my 375 with Nosler 260 gr AccuBonds for all around use, but have shot a couple with the 30-06 and 180 gr. softpoints. Have seen 7Mag, 300Mag, 338 used with equal effect. Put them in the front end, or you will have a miserable day chasing a wounded one.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom