Found things

feddoc

Long Time Member
That thread about the body/barrel in Lake Mead reminded me of this.

Back in the very early 90s, I was stationed at Corpus Christi. Flew a lot of SAR stuff and did a couple of drug runs with the USCG. I also got to know the base Dog Doc, who was married to one of the nurses on base. He, the dog doc, and I got to talking about drug searches along the border.

He told me that one of the dogs he took care of was kinda famous.

BP or Customs, or whoever had reason to stop a tank truck from coming back into the US. The dog alerted, so they drained and purged the tank and inside they found several small propane cylinders, which had several pounds of cocaine inside. They had all been welded shut.

I never have much of anything but I have a right nice Winchester Model 270, pre-64 a friend of mine found in a down town grocery store parking lot. It was in a hard case, laying in a parking stall. He turned it in to the Sheriff who ran the Serial number on it numerous times, over a 8 or 10 year period. Years later they brought it over and gave it to the fellow who’d found it. He sold it to me, twenty five years ago.

I Found Where Somebody Was Digging what appeared to be a Grave!

Late Fall & Cold!

They'd Dig on it at Night & Then Throwed Blankets & limbs/Branches in it to prevent Frost I Think!

It Got Turned In & There Was Law Official of Every Type in Groves Last Time I Drove By it!

Never Did Hear much about it after that!

2lumpy,

My dad drove away from the house after leaving a .22 pistol on the roof of the car. Looked all day for it and never found it.

I was working on a cleaning some dead debris from the river a few years ago when I saw an old kids golf bag tucked into some shrub, thought it might have some golf balls, pulled it out and found a sawed off benelli nova, pretty rusty, there were probably 30 shotgun shells in it. Turned it in and hoped that I’d at least get the shotgun shells

2lumpy,

My dad drove away from the house after leaving a .22 pistol on the roof of the car. Looked all day for it and never found it.
Tri, I’m like your Dad. Many many years ago, I was on the mountain doing a little target shooting with my Ruger .22 pistol. Set it on my bumper and drove home……. 5 minutes after I got in the house my neighbor rang the door bell and handed me the pistol………. Said he saw it fall off. Good folks around here.

I found a dead guy on a deer hunt.......not pretty. His wallet was empty too
From a post a while back:

Although it wasn't a span of many years, I had the unfortunate experience of finding someone dead a while after they went missing. It happened when I was living at Vallecito Lake near Durango & guiding hunters & anglers in the Weminuche Wilderness.

It involved a young male backpacker who went missing in 1977. After his dog returned alone to the trailhead to Granite Lake on the Pagosa side, they conducted an extensive search that included bringing in the National Guard and divers. They found his pack and stuff in the lake but never found him.

Several weeks after, I had a family of five at the lake to fish. Around noon, I went to gather some wood to cook lunch. There was a pile of dry stuff wedged between a small spruce tree and large boulder. I picked up several pieces and then saw the tip of a boot sticking out. A few more pieces revealed a dark blue tarp that was covering the backpacker's body.

I pulled the tarp part way off the head end. What was left of him wasn't a pretty sight. I could clearly see a bullet hole in the skull, and his jaw was agape & filled with maggots. I nearly tossed my cookies.

After explaining the situation to the husband, I took a bunch of photos of the site. We them rode back to our base camp, which was about 1/2 hr. away on horseback. We immediately sent our wrangler back down the mountain to Vallecito to inform the authorities.

The victim was the son of some VIP back east who had friends in Congress. That's how they got permission to bring in the NG via helicopter, which is normally a no-no in a designated wilderness.

What amazed me was how they could have missed finding the body. It was less than 50 yards from the lake in a fairly open area with few trees and almost no brush. It would be a good spot to set up a camp. I was also surprised other backpackers hadn't found it because of that.

I later provided 8x10 B&W prints done in my darkroom to the Pagosa Springs sheriff's office. As far as I know, the case has never been closed. A few weeks after he went missing, someone used one of his credit cards one time in Las Vegas, but I don't think anything ever came of it. I never followed up on it after that.

This is the lake where it happened...

granitelake.jpg

I Found Where Somebody Was Digging what appeared to be a Grave!

Late Fall & Cold!

They'd Dig on it at Night & Then Throwed Blankets & limbs/Branches in it to prevent Frost I Think!

It Got Turned In & There Was Law Official of Every Type in Groves Last Time I Drove By it!

Never Did Hear much about it after that!
They were digging for gold bars the Indians buried when they killed the Spanish from the rhoades mine. so your the one that screwed me up.

There’s a number of people who drowned in the river and presumably washed into the lake. Prolly fossils by now though.

a hole is just a hole until a body is thrown in it......what did you expect the cops to do?

I Didn't Call The Cops!

Me & A Friend Kept Checking on it!

When a Few Others Found Out about it they Said GRAVE!

I Said:Doubtful it be a Grave That Close To The Road!

Now I Gotta Find Out a Little More on The Gold!:D

a hole is just a hole until a body is thrown in it......what did you expect the cops to do?

Received a 1934 series Twenty Dollar Bill yesterday in change..It looked Brand-new...must of been in some-ones old book and the siblings decided to spend it..
Or someone's house got robbed and they don't know what they are spending or just don't care.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom