Frame packs

Riley7/08

I know this is probably not the right place to put this but I was wondering shat everyone thinks is the best frame pack? I'm needing to get one

Check out Seek Outside. Call in and talk to Nathan and have him explain their pack system. If he doesn't answer his extension, leave him a voicemail and he'll get back to you pretty quick.

I also love my Kuiu. The new Pro suspension is much better than the previous version.
Stone Glacier, seek outside and Kifaru make great packs also.
Frame size/belt size and fit is key to a comfortable pack. If you can find a friend or store with a few different packs try them on and figure out what fits you best.

Ghsnks guys. I've been looking at the new badlands varo but I'm not sure I want to spend that much and the Eberlestock just one and the horn hunter full curl, but I'm not sure

>Buy once cry once. Is this
>a pack for multi day
>trips into the backcountry or
>just a day pack?

Multi day use

>Ghsnks guys. I've been looking at
>the new badlands varo but
>I'm not sure I want
>to spend that much and
>the Eberlestock just one and
>the horn hunter full curl,
>but I'm not sure

Eberlestocks are a bit heavy and horn hunters are junk. I have owned both. Its just like glass, spend as much as you can afford. They will last a long time my man.

>>Ghsnks guys. I've been looking at
>>the new badlands varo but
>>I'm not sure I want
>>to spend that much and
>>the Eberlestock just one and
>>the horn hunter full curl,
>>but I'm not sure
>
>
>Eberlestocks are a bit heavy and
>horn hunters are junk. I
>have owned both. Its just
>like glass, spend as much
>as you can afford. They
>will last a long time
>my man.

Copy. I was curious how well the horn hunter is made, I have a day pack of there's that's been ok I've owned it for years

For multi day use
Kuiu Pro
Stone Glacier
Kifaru
Seek outside
All of these setups have interchangeable bags also. I use a few different bags on my Kuiu depending on the gear/days. I even use my Kuiu as a day pack and training pack during the off season.

I have owned and used Badlands, Kuiu, Kifaru, and Exo along with countless other cheaper brands of packs.
For me personally, Exo had been the best pack i have used to date. It fits me the best and is the most versatile pack for my use. I have a first run 3500 and currently use the 2000 for day pack purposes.
I will say my Kifaru Late Season is the most comfortable pack i own but it doesn't have detachable pack hauler capabilities like my Exo and Kuiu.

I would highly recommend either Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Barneys. Their frames are designed for 100+ lb, bulky loads. I would also suggest a bag over 7,000+ cu inches. If you look up Kifaru reviews you'll notice how people rave about the comfort of their belts and harness system. They are specifically designed for your particular body size/torso length. Kifaru also has lots of additional accessories, lids, etc that you can customize your bag. I often use a smaller Kifaru bag for scouting, truck hunting and quickly change over to a larger bag for multi-night hunts/hauling game. My larger bag is possible to cinch down tight when unloaded so still works very well for scouting.

I would warn about Kuiu, badlands, and other packs mentioned above....many of them aren't designed for extreme loads. I would much rather have overkill than a frame not designed for extreme loads! The new materials used with Kifaru/SG are so light and and compact that it's definitely worth going with an oversized rather than undersized frame/pack!

I just went through this same process and ended up pulling the trigger on Seek Outside. I did a ton of reading, watching videos and research on each of them, called in and emailed each company and drilled them with questions. After all of that I narrowed it down to Initial Ascent, Kifaru, EXO and Seek Outside. For me, I was looking for a pack that was lightweight and could handle a heavy load really well.

Honestly, I think all of them--as well as some of the other packs mentioned on here (Stone Glacier, KUIU, Mystery Ranch)--would be packs most people would be happy with and you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

I've used EXO, Eberlestock, Tenzing, Badlands, Kelty, Osprey and now Seek Outside under heavy loads and the Seek Outside was hands down my favorite. EXO was also very nice. There are a few good forums on rokslide about different packs as well that were pretty helpful. What pushed me over the top to pull the trigger on Seek Outside was the following:

1. The fabric they make their packs out of (X-Pac) is a premium durable and waterproof material. This means no need for a pack cover and no blood stains with easy washing. You can actually take the bag off the frame and put it in a front load machine if you want.

2. Their suspension system/frame. Instead of using the same frame idea that is already out on the market and trying to improve it, they started over from the ground up doing their own system. The frames are very well built...they can support 300lbs in vertical load yet weigh only 6oz. They are also very versatile in that you can have multiple pack bags and switch between smaller and larger packs if needed. I ended up doing a custom build and took certain things I liked from a couple different pack bags. But it's nice to know I could just buy a different pack bag and switch it out if needed.

3. Lightweight. Starting at sub 3lbs, all their packs are sub 5lbs.

4. Adjustable frame height. 24, 26 or 28" frame height. Having the ability to adjust your frame to be taller if you get an animal down makes the pack out easier.

5. Very configurable. Not only are they good for hunting, but you could use them for backpacking, pack-rafting, ski mountaineering, etc.

6. Excellent Customer Service. They have treated me very well and are super nice and helpful.

7. Made in the USA.

Speaking from experience, their packs can be a little bit of a challenge to fit sometimes because they have a ton of adjustments built in. But once you watch the videos on how to fit it to you and when you make the right adjustments and it's fitted right it'll probably be the most comfortable pack you've had on your back. I thought the EXO I wore was comfy till I used this one.

Just my two cents. Again, all of the other packs mentioned on here are super nice and you probably can't go wrong with any of them. Seek Outside just checked off the most boxes for me and what I was looking for. I've been very pleased with my decision so far.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom