Frustrating Archery Elk season

elkshooter

All,

I gotta whine a little about elk season this year and my personal lack of success - AGAIN!

I was up in unit 231 with 3 buddies the second week of the season and damn it was crowded. Tons of out of staters all hudled together in a small area. Throw in the sheep herders pushing sheep around and there was hardly an animal to be seen.

We did manage to get on one cow that I shot and hit in the front shoulder. After several hours of looking and not finding any blood we gave up the track and figured she was coyote food. I found the arrow and it only went into her just about an inch beyond my steelforce broadhead. She broke it off in some trees right at the ferrell.

I then hunted the last weekend of the season and heard/saw nothing in unit 15/231.

I've been bow hunting elk now in Colorado for about 6-7 years and am yet to close the deal and am starting to get frustrated. I've been close every year...blown stalks, wind changing directions and seeing nothing but white behinds, stupid mistakes on my part, etc have all lead me to come home year after year without an animal in my truck bed.

I know that's the beauty of bow-hunting and that's part of the challenge. I've shot elk with a rifle and it's great for the meat, but it really isn't the same as getting 5 yards from one and beating it at it's game - the thrill of the bow. I just wish I had some meat in the freezer to show for the boot leather I've worn out over the years.

I heard all kinds of stories about how many elk people have seen in 231 and saw a few lucky guys with racks in the back of their trucks. I must conclude that I must be doing something wrong, or some people are full of stories...perhaps both.

I know the state average for bow hunters is 10% or 1 every 10 years...maybe next year. I figure the law of averages has got to shine on me the next couple of years.

I've bow hunted mostly in the Steamboat area, backpacking in the Zirkel wilderness area, units 141, 231, 15, etc ...thinking maybe next year I'll head southwest. I keep hearing that the DOW says that there are more elk in the NW part of the state than anywhere, but darn if I have seen them over the years. Don't know...still just waiting to see that big bull at 20 yards...like everyone here.

Just wishing/hoping the good lord sends me some good luck next season and puts me on a collision course with a big boy.

I'm sure you other guys feel the same way....

Signed,

Scott the no elk meating guy again this year!

Sorry for your misfortune.
It could be guys are telling you stories to keep you hunting in one area
I'm not perfect I have done this so guys don't find the heard I've found.But most of these guys that are asking "where the elk at" are road hunters and don't deserve it if their not willing to get out of the truck and hunt.
Don't over look the units in North Park.I hunt units 161,171,16 and 6 and find elk in all those units.
Since I started bow hunting again in 2003 I've killed 2 bulls,2bucks and 1 cow in these units.And I've had a chance the years I didn't get one just made yard judgement errors.So don't give up.
It will happen when you least expect it.

Sorry for your 07' season. Mine have followed in your footsteps. I don't know which area of 231 you were, but there is some quality areas I could direct you to if the snow hasn't crusted up. Everything I have hunted is 3-4 miles in though.

I'd be up for hearing about some good areas in 231 - 3-4 miles in doesn't scare me at all...anything to get away from the crowds.

Want to send me an email at sahussey12@yahoo, or send me a private message here.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom