G-7 MOUNTAIN GOAT

3feathers

I finally drew mountain goat. After 17 years. Unit G-7
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I hope to harvest with a longbow. Or compound if needed. Thank's Mark

Congrats on the goat tag! Historically G7 was a great spot to goat hunt but unfortunately the CDOW has hammered the CR&P out of the goats in that unit the past 5-7 years. There are a fraction of goats....and mature billies there once were. I certainly wish the CDOW would offer more nanny tags than either sex tags to allow some of the billies a chance to reach 4+ years old. They have tried nanny only tags in G16 and I really believe this does what it is designed to do...keep goat numbers in check while relieving the pressure on billies. This year there are 28 either sex goat tags in G7 and I know for a fact that there are not that many 2 1/2+ year old billies left in the unit! The number of mature billies harvested in G7 is a fraction of what they were in the early 2000's. Sorry about the venting but as you can tell I've been super upset with the CDOW's management strategies for goats in Colo!

Obviously if you drew one of the early seasons the goats will be more approachable with long bow than the later seasons after they've been chased around a bit. Goats are a species that is doable with bow and the more time you spend in G7 the more likely you'll get a feel for where the goats tend to hang out...and what goats are available. I would practice shooting severe uphill and downhill angles! If you have time, patience, and are in decent shape you ought to do fine w/bow.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom