G&F Emails

505Hunter

Well we got lucky and drew for a deer rifle hunt up in 2B. New unit to me and my family, but have heard some great results about the unit as well. Do plan to do some scouting up in the summer to come, and also hope to gain some knowledge from you fellow MM'ers on the unit as well. Still hopefully waiting on elk but I don't think we got it.. Any who good luck to all who drew!

congratulations on the draw. I drew it the last two years. Tough hunt buddy, not what it used to be. Not sure a guide helps much either, unless you've never been in the unit. Realistic expectations will be the key to having a fun hunt. True trophy's are nearly non-existent in the unit during the dates of the hunt. But hunting there is better than sitting on the couch and you never know, may just get lucky..

Good luck

I am by no means a true trophy hunter yet, so I will basically take the first mature buck I see. I know the weather plays a role with the unit cause of the bucks in CO come down when it's cold and snowing. I've heard road hunting is a nasty habit up there, and that the oil drilling is getting obnoxious. However I plan to get off the main road an hike up some where high and just glass. I've done a lot of research on the unit, do you have any pointers you would like too add? We have never hunted up here before and most likely will be camping with a 37ft 5th wheel, so where would a good place to camp be?

I hate to rain on your parade but thats a tough hunt anymore. May want to start thinking legal buck, not mature buck, or stay home. Seriously its that bad.

Get away from a road up high? Good luck. You hardly can walk 200 yards without hitting another road. I don't understand how that unit is still standing with all the drill rigs sucking everything out of the ground every 10 feet. The bow hunt can be awesome, but the other hunts are hard unless you really know the unit or get really, really lucky.

I share those same sentiments. There is no such thing as get away from the road in unit 2. You will hunt to the sound of compressors, pumpjacks and oilfield traffic. A once great unit has taken second fiddle to oil and gas. Best of luck. It is beautiful country. You'll see some game. Bring your best.

As far as camping goes, DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAMPER UP ROSA ROAD!! Thats my best advice.

Dang, is it really that bad up there? I have read a lot on the roads being every where up there, but I've also read that if you get up near the CO border you have a better chance, as well as playing the odds north and south of 64. What are your guys thoughts? I'm open to any suggestions - also feel free to pm me. Not asking for honey holes, just some info am insight on a new unit.

It is that tough. They give so many tags, that the hunt has been declining for the last 10 years to the point that we didn't even put in for it this year. The fish and game needs to do something. Anyway, no you cannot get away from the roads very far, but you can get away a little bit, which will make a difference. As far as mature bucks, easier said than done. Lots of 2 and 3 points though. The second hunt is much harder than the third hunt as far as deer numbers, but there are a few less hunters on the second. Pray for snow. You'll see more numbers in the north and maybe, I stress maybe bigger bucks in the south?

That's a shame that game and fish don't so a very good job on managing such great potential units. But anyway, yeah I don't plan on taking a trophy (as it would be nice) I plan on taking the legal limit. Where would be some good areas to start scouting at? I plan on doing half and half, start out in the south and if nothing, head up north. Or vice versa

+1 Tooele

You'll see more numbers in the north and maybe, I stress maybe bigger bucks in the south?

Thats right on with my experience. Only you may go days without seeing a deer south. Btw tracking deer to locate is No FUN!

Test out my luck in the south and then head up north if nothing is going good in the south. I have a good starting list of where to try. Seems to me that the consensus is more deer up north, less but bigger deer in the south.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom