G3/Goodale Hunts.....??

Wiszard

Long Time Member
If you've had a G3/Goodale tag, lets hear your thoughts on the hunt. Was it what you expected? Obviously these days, no unit is what it once was so lets get that out there now so it never has to be said again. LOL. Did you camp or hotel it? Did the amount of deer you saw exceed your expectations? How many days did you hunt? If you could do it over again, what would you have done differently? Did you hunt only roads or did you get out and get to those areas that road hunters couldn't glass? Thanks in advance.

I hunted it about 8 years. Of course, everyone was saying that it is not what it used to be, but what unit isn't? We decided to hotel it, and it worked out very well. We saw plenty of deer, only nothing that was larger than a couple 25"-26" 3x4's. We did see a nice, unique, cactus buck down with massive bases though. I did most of my hunting on foot, hiking up to higher elevations. I did to trips from LA and hunted for 7 days. Some big deer are definitely there, you just need to work hard to find them. I will send you a PM with my observations.
I have been going up to Goodale & Round Valley for years now. Ever sense my son and nephew got drawn for Round Valley over 20 years ago. Love looking at all the deer!

Hunted it 7-8 years ago during the extreme drought California was in and it was rough turning up a buck that took that many points to draw. I scouted roughly 6 days before the hunt and covered most of the unit. The year I hunted it we had no snow which meant hunting it on foot and gaining as much elevation as possible. I camped both in a tent and trailer but just as easily could do the hotel route, its doesn't take long to get into hunting areas. There are a couple spots that having a ATV might be helpful but most trail heads you can get there with a truck.
You will see lots of deer and bucks most with just be big forks or 2-3 with a few weak 3-4 pts mixed in. There are a few nice bucks in there and a good snow can change things but these deer have been chased with Bows for over a month and rifles for another month so some of the bigger deer get taken during those seasons without a good snow to push deer down into the unit. I ended up taking a heavy 4-4 about 25inches that went about 160. Nothing special but it was the biggest deer I saw after 6 days and had my son next to me. Nothing I did was from the truck. Packed the deer 2hrs back to the truck.
If I had the tag again I would 1st change my expectations. Its a good hunt to see lots of deer, be in the best mountains California has to offer, and good times with people. Hoping to kill anything over 160 would just be something that could happen but probably wont. They are there but its few and very far between. Its not the same unit of 20 years ago.
I would start talking to hunting partners now and see if I could get 3-4 guys who would want to go that I enjoy being around. Having a couple guys that hunt hard and can access some other areas will help locate more bucks and can report back to you.
I would not worry about scouting unless you have lots of time and can still dedicated 7-10 days for the hunt. Show up Thursday and drive around on Friday to get a feel of the land and then hunt a solid week. Plan on doing an extended weekend the last weekend of the season. This way you will really get to enjoy the whole experience. Pretty much what you see the 1st few days you will be able to see the the last few days. No need to rush it. There is not much difference between a 120inch deer and a 130inch deer which is more than likely what you will be seeing. If its a true shooter 160plus then pull the trigger.
Good Luck

I've had the pleasure of accompanying others on this hunt in the recent past and can echo some of the previous comments. There are still PLENTY of deer. Finding a true mountain monarch is very much still a realistic possibility...however, you most likely won't harvest one driving the main roads and glassing areas within easy walking distances. If this is truely your goal, expect long days of glassing great distances, followed by BIG, ROUGH, STEEP hikes at high altitude. Although bucks could be considered mature at 4 years of age, a truely BIG buck has to survive for a minimum of 6+ years to attain the size that most would consider to be a giant. To do so, a buck has to avoid harvest year after year....a difficult task if you winter within easy striking distance of hunters. Just like other behaviors (ie. migration routes), avoiding hunters is learned. Those that learn survive, those that don't perish. Simple. What we have witnessed is that the does migrate to the lowlands first, followed by smaller (1-4 year olds). The BIG, "experienced" bucks are always the last to arrive in the zone, but, for the most part, do not come as low as the does, instead opting to stay at higher, often snowbound, elevations. As does come into estrus, their scent is carried upwards by thermals where mature bucks can detect it and then decend to initiate breeding. If a doe is not receptive, the largest bucks we have spotted typically do an about face and retreat back to some of the highest elevations in the zone...they just dont stick around. Unfortunately, this behavior often occurs during nightime hours. We have witnessed bucks in the earliest morning hours, with barely enough light to glass, climbing upwards of 2000 ft before bedding up for the day. And, once bedded, these bucks may not get back on their feet until right before dark. This makes them extremely difficult to find, let alone hunt successfully.

Hunters "in the know" are all too aware of this described behavior. So, why is it that more giants arent harvested in G-3? I belive there are 2 main factors involved: First, the population of the majority of max-point holders, in which 90% of the tags are drawn, is aging...most max point applicant are approaching or have exceeded 60 years of age. Very few hunters of this age are in the type of shape necessary to meet the physical requirements to be sucessful in taking the largest bucks. Personally, as I grow older myself, I have fewer and fewer friends either available or even capable of helping pack a large buck any kind of distance in rough terrain. This can be a very real issue leading to hunters staying closer to their own vehicles/roads which plays right into the survival instincts of the largest bucks. Secondly, the G-3 hunt occurs at a time when there are lots and lots of deers easily spotted from roads. This presents the issue of having almost "too much of a good thing." It can be overwhelming for many hunters that have not had the opportuniny in their past hunts to witness deer around every corner. Having to look through so many deer thinking that they will eventually find "the one" at first can be very exciting, but as the days go on, it can also be tiring, and demoralizing. It's very difficult to leave concentrations of deer to seek out areas of lower animal density where the big one tend to be. This leads to a bit of "burn out" which can result in a hunter settling for just a "nice buck". In these times of "instant gratification", having the persistence to grind it out for multiple days of realy difficult conditions has become a true rarity. Most hunters aren't even aware of how soft they have become....and if they are aware, admitting it publicly probably won't happen. It is just too easy to save face and find excuses like, "The weather was uncooperative" or "No bigs bucks exist in the zone anymore", etc.

This year it will be my turn to test how capable I am in taking a trophy buck from G-3 as I am a tag holder for the 2023 season. I am definitely older. I also have fewer friends capable of providing support, and, like most everyone else, I too may grow weary of "the grind".

Nevertheless, I have a personal goal: To push myself to a point that exceeds what even I think I'm capable of. If I am fortunate to be blessed with what I deem to be a trophy buck, I want to know that it came to me from hard work and mental toughness....not solely luck. That is what hunting is to me...It's a way to personally "check in" with oneself and truely see where I stand both mentally and physically.

So...after all that previous gobbly goop...in response to the original post, my thoughts at his time can be summed up as follows:

I BELIEVE THERE IS A GIANT IN G-3 AND THAT I AM CAPABLE OF FINDING AND HARVESTING HIM!

Positive thinking. No excuses.

Last edited:
I can hear the song by Queen slowly start to play...."Under Pressure." Tons of rutty bucks on does, sounds like a good time to me.Go and have a great time, pull the trigger when it feels right. Those bucks ain't super human, hunt hard and know, on any rut hunt, a great buck could chase a doe right in front of you.

I've had the pleasure of accompanying others on this hunt in the recent past and can echo some of the previous comments. There are still PLENTY of deer. Finding a true mountain monarch is very much still a realistic possibility...however, you most likely won't harvest one driving the main roads and glassing areas within easy walking distances. If this is truely your goal, expect long days of glassing great distances, followed by BIG, ROUGH, STEEP hikes at high altitude. Although bucks could be considered mature at 4 years of age, a truely BIG buck has to survive for a minimum of 6+ years to attain the size that most would consider to be a giant. To do so, a buck has to avoid harvest year after year....a difficult task if you winter within easy striking distance of hunters. Just like other behaviors (ie. migration routes), avoiding hunters is learned. Those that learn survive, those that don't perish. Simple. What we have witnessed is that the does migrate to the lowlands first, followed by smaller (1-4 year olds). The BIG, "experienced" bucks are always the last to arrive in the zone, but, for the most part, do not come as low as the does, instead opting to stay at higher, often snowbound, elevations. As does come into estrus, their scent is carried upwards by thermals where mature bucks can detect it and then decend to initiate breeding. If a doe is not receptive, the largest bucks we have spotted typically do an about face and retreat back to some of the highest elevations in the zone...they just dont stick around. Unfortunately, this behavior often occurs during nightime hours. We have witnessed bucks in the earliest morning hours, with barely enough light to glass, climbing upwards of 2000 ft before bedding up for the day. And, once bedded, these bucks may not get back on their feet until right before dark. This makes them extremely difficult to find, let alone hunt successfully.

Hunters "in the know" are all too aware of this described behavior. So, why is it that more giants arent harvested in G-3? I belive there are 2 main factors involved: First, the population of the majority of max-point holders, in which 90% of the tags are drawn, are aging...most approaching 60 years or older. Very few hunters of this age are in the type of shape necessary to meet the physical requirements to be sucessful in taking the largest bucks. Personally, as I grow older myself, I have fewer and fewer friends either available or even capable of helping pack a large buck any kind of distance in rough terrain. This can be a very real issue leading to hunters staying closer to their own vehicles/roads which plays right into the survival instincts of the largest bucks. Secondly, the G-3 hunt occurs at a time when there are lots and lots of deers easily spotted from roads. This presents the issue of having almost "too much of a good thing." It can be overwhelming for many hunters that have not had the opportuniny in their past hunts to witness deer around every corner. Having to look through so many deer thinking that they will eventually find "the one" at first can be very exciting, but as the days go on, it can also be tiring, and demoralizing. It's very difficult to leave concentrations of deer to seek out areas of lower animal density where the big one tend to be. This leads to a bit of "burn out" which can result in a hunter settling for just a "nice buck". In these times of "instant gratification", having the persistence to grind it out for multiple days of realy difficult conditions has become a true rarity. Most hunters aren't even aware of how soft they have become....and if they are aware, admitting it publicly probably won't happen. It is just too easy to save face and find excuses like, "The weather was uncooperative" or "No bigs bucks exist in the zone anymore", etc.

This year it will be my turn to test how capable I am in taking a trophy buck from G-3 as I am a tag holder for the 2023 season. I am definitely older. I also have fewer friends capable of providing support, and, like most everyone else, I too may grow weary of "the grind".

Nevertheless, I have a personal goal: To push myself to a point that exceeds what even I think I'm capable of. If I am fortunate to be blessed with what I deem to be a trophy buck, I want to know that it came to me from hard work and mental toughness....not solely luck. That is what hunting is to me...It's a way to personally "check in" with oneself and truely see where I stand both mentally and physically.

So...after all that previous gobbly goop...in response to the original post, my thoughts at his time can be summed up as follows:

I BELIEVE THERE IS A GIANT IN G-3 AND THAT I AM CAPABLE OF FINDING AND HARVESTING HIM!

Pretty much sums it up.

Hunters "in the know" are all too aware of this described behavior. So, why is it that more giants arent harvested in G-3? I belive there are 2 main factors involved: First, the population of the majority of max-point holders, in which 90% of the tags are drawn, are aging...most approaching 60 years or older. Very few hunters of this age are in the type of shape necessary to meet the physical requirements to be sucessful in taking the largest bucks. Personally, as I grow older myself, I have fewer and fewer friends either available or even capable of helping pack a large buck any kind of distance in rough terrain. This can be a very real issue leading to hunters staying closer to their own vehicles/roads which plays right into the survival instincts of the largest bucks. Secondly, the G-3 hunt occurs at a time when there are lots and lots of deers easily spotted from roads. This presents the issue of having almost "too much of a good thing." It can be overwhelming for many hunters that have not had the opportuniny in their past hunts to witness deer around every corner. Having to look through so many deer thinking that they will eventually find "the one" at first can be very exciting, but as the days go on, it can also be tiring, and demoralizing. It's very difficult to leave concentrations of deer to seek out areas of lower animal density where the big one tend to be. This leads to a bit of "burn out" which can result in a hunter settling for just a "nice buck". In these times of "instant gratification", having the persistence to grind it out for multiple days of realy difficult conditions has become a true rarity. Most hunters aren't even aware of how soft they have become....and if they are aware, admitting it publicly probably won't happen. It is just too easy to save face and find excuses like, "The weather was uncooperative" or "No bigs bucks exist in the zone anymore", etc.

Would you shoot the buck in your avatar on this hunt? Just curious…

Would you shoot the buck in your avatar on this hunt? Just curious…
Probably not. Already have a couple of those. He was a 25" 5x4 with eyeguards. Just a "nice" buck. Ive seen many iin G-3 better than that. I'm not necessarily going to be looking for a high scoring B&C typical...rather, I'm hoping to turn up something unique with mass and trash.

Last edited:
I hunted it in 2006, 2008 and last year 2022. It's a great hunt and it is what you make it. It's going to change every year. Feel free to give me a call and you can read my story from last year. 5599703177

Mike

I hunted it in 2006, 2008 and last year 2022. It's a great hunt and it is what you make it. It's going to change every year. Feel free to give me a call and you can read my story from last year. 5599703177

Mike
Hunted with others that have drawn? Or golden state tag ?

HighSierra is for sure gonna get a life time deer outta there.
If really depends on weather or hiking up in elevation with that unit.

This is what you are looking for. This lady shot this buck in 1980 on G3 with a .243 rifle. Don’t let her out do you. ??

79BBB8F0-4BF0-4A16-94CD-A650F6464F01.jpeg

This is what you are looking for. This lady shot this buck in 1980 on G3 with a .243 rifle. Don’t let her out do you. ??

View attachment 113745
.243 was the first caliber I used on blacktail. A well placed bullet, regardless size or weight will kill something of size. :)

That is a great deer. I will be looking for one like it. It is big country....googleearth makes it look tame. It's when you view pictures taken from 8500 feet that you realize that stuff is steep and rough!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom