Game Bags

Cheap pillow cases. Clip the folded over corners and slip in a 1/4" rope draw string. King size slips over elk hind qtrs and regular work well on deer and elk front shoulders. Three to four usually does the trick with both front shoulders fitting in one, each of the hind qtrs in two others. I then use an extra case for the neck and other meat. If you bone out at the kill site, three will get you through an elk without much problem. They are easy to carry and just throw them in the wash with a little bleach when you get home.

They breathe, allow drainage and keep the flys off while in use. A little pepper on the outside my help keep the flys away completely. If one or all are too stained to go next year, they are cheap, buy new ones and wash before packing them.

I sometimes fold and roll them up into a tight ball and zip tie them for easy carry in my day pack. A twist with a small pair of pliers break the tie when you need the bag. I carry a small leatherman for this and other uses. FYI - Trying to break the tie with a knife can be hazardous and can be difficult.

Has worked for me on several occations, but I am sure there are plenty of other bags that work just as well or better.

lkhtr

I have numerous large mattress cover bags in heavy cloth and they have worked for me over the years. Soak them in COLD water when home and let hang to dry. Some are over 30 years now....thanks to CDF for them...LOL No ID either also have some that I have won at RMEF & MuleDeer Banquets as raffle prises.

Bought some Alaskan Game bags a few years back to make for a lighter load and they work great too.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

extra large pillow cases, or if you are hanging the whole animal use Bed sheets sown on one end and one side.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Plus 1 on the alaskan game bags. I took my quarters, back straps/loins/neckmeat in to the processor. As I was filling out my request card I told the operator I want the game bags back. Too late. One of his employees unloaded my quarters and cut the bag to pieces before I finished with the request card. They were good bags and worked well for the one time I used them.

I like the pillow case idea too.

Take 2 twin flat sheets sew (have someone) the sides and bottom securely. thread a heavy string or shoe lace through the the finished top of the sheet to use as a draw string(a couple of slits will be necessary to thread them all the way. Pull it inside out like a giant marble bag. you can pull it over the largest buck or good sized elk and close the draw string. Wash and reuse.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom