general craig area questions

JimmyA

Looking at hunting the Craig area for OTC bull third season this year. This will be my primary focus.

Is it worth applying for a buck tag for this particular season for a zone in this area?

I'm o.k. with just building a point for deer this year.

Also, I've never hunted in this area before. Can anyone suggest a rough idea on where to stay? Campground? NF access? Not looking for any honey holes, just a rough idea on a general area to stay in the Craig area. Typically we will travel with a truck camper and a 5' x 8' trailer with a utv.

I've hunted in the Meeker/Buford area in the White River NF, so I am semi familiar with the altitude/weather/terrain. Can I expect some of the same near Craig?

Thank you for your help.

JimmyA

While on vacation last summer , we saw some decent bucks in the area mostly on private land.If you plan on hunting private land I would say yes .Public land I would question buying a tag.It is always nice to have a tag but good bucks on public land are hard to
find.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-15 AT 12:32PM (MST)[p]Whether to invest in a deer tag depends a lot on where you intend to hunt. Generally, the 3rd season is excellent, but not if you're intending to hunt NF high country. If you're going to hunt in the foothills or plains, I'd definitely go for deer. There is plenty of BLM in both habitats and private would be even better. Units 3 and 4 north of Craig have very good deer hunting in 3rd season, but elk success, with a few exceptions, depends on snow in the high country. Deer move down early, but elk movement is very weather related. Be flexible.
It looks like you're planning to camp. If you're not worried about power or water, you can camp close to your hunting area. If you want a campground, use the internet. Craig Chamber of Commerce site has listings.

Are you a resident? There are plenty of deer in the area, but I don't think that it would be my first choice. If you are going to build points, then you are going to apply, so you might as well put the area down as a 2nd choice.

You haven't said which unit or area. A lot of people hunt the lower elevations, which is poor for elk...they have had to have migrated by then. I have hunted the 4 Mile Ranch...I saw elk, but was limited on time. The outfitter said that they have some folks in there every year chasing cows. They do an OTC bull, between there and Bear's Ears, and after they get their bull, they come and get their cow.

There are plenty of wide spots in the road to camp in the area.

Just east of Craig, on US40, is Yampa State Park. Tis about $10-15 a night, they have showers, hook-ups and out-houses. Tis a nice place.

It is closer to Hayden than Craig, but tis plenty accessible in 10 minutes.

The weather will be about the same as the Meeker area...cold.
John 14:6

You haven't said which unit. There are plenty of wide spots in the road to camp in the area.

Just east of Craig, on US40, is Yampa State Park. Tis about $10-15 a night, they have showers, hook-ups and out-houses....nice place.

The weather is about the same as the Meeker area.

You haven't said which areas you plan to hunt, the sage flats/hills are for after the migration and can be spotty.

The mountains...I've never hunted them.

You haven't said which unit. There are plenty of wide spots in the road to camp in the area.

Just east of Craig, on US40, is Yampa State Park. Tis about $10-15 a night, they have showers, hook-ups and out-houses.

The weather is the same as the Meeker area...more or less.

And the sage flats/hills are huntable after the elk migrate...somewhat.

I don't know much about the mountains in the area.

Just east of Craig, on US40, is Yampa State Park. Tis about $10-15 a night, they have showers, hook-ups and out-houses.

The weather is the same as the Meeker area...more or less.

And the sage flats/hills are huntable after the elk migrate...somewhat.

I don't know much about the mountains in the area.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom