General Deer Help

Mooretitan

Trying to figure out if I split points with my son U16, does he go into the youth points portion of the draw or does he have to go into the main draw with me. I know the points required are different. For him he can draw with 1 or 2 but for me its 4-5 points.

I have read the regs just could could not find it

Thanks

In order for your son to take advantage of the 20% allocation of general season deer tags for youth, your son must apply alone or with a group of YOUTH ONLY applicants. Do NOT apply him with you in your party if you want him to take advantage of that extra youth allocation.

Here you go from page 35 of the Big Game application guidebook:

Youth-only groups
If you will be 17 years of age or younger on July 31, 2023, you can participate in the youth drawing for general-season deer permits or the draw-only youth elk permits. You can submit an application as an individual hunter or as a member of a youth-only group.

When you apply in a youth-only group for the general-season deer hunt or the draw-only youth elk hunt, all hunters must meet the age requirement or the application will not be processed with the other youth applications.

Thanks - not sure why I could not find that. Maybe we will wait another year so he can get the tag. He split with his brother last year and drew in the youth pool and got a buck. His younger brother unfortunately missed but over a good trip.

I would put the youth in every year while they are able to as a youth and take advantage of it. 50% of the units have youths draw with zero points. When you draw your sons very well may draw also that year. If not you can all go and enjoy the hunt with one tag. Just my opinion. Good luck with the draws.

Put your kid in regardless and if he does not and you do go and get a mentor endorsement so your kid can kill a deer using your tag if the opportunity arises. He can carry a gun and hunt with you and maybe a situation comes up where you let him fill your tag. At least this way he has skin in the game and would be hunting by your side. The Utah mentor program is pretty cool.

I looked into the mentor program and the minor has to be a utah resident from what I read. Maybe that has changed.
As far as not putting them in there are different reasons
I am trying to line as many hunts that they can share with their grandpa also how they do the hunt draw is important in Utah. My youngest is trying to draw something that is after the general deer draw so he wants to just get a point this year and try for that tag.
I have a week to figure it out

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom