Generator suggestions?

Swivelneck

Howzit goin all?
Getting started on the interior buildout of a fire rebuild on the families old hunting hideout. We lost the original structure in the August fire a few years ago. We decided to build back with a 1,500sqft. metal building and build it out into a barndominium of sorts.
So my question is, do any of you have any suggestions on a good choice for a generator to power the place?
Generator will live in a shipping container 200' away from the building and will primarily run on propane, but we would like to have the option of gas as well. I see that this is fairly standard these days.
The generator will primarily run interior and exterior lighting, maybe a TV and standard power tools. We will likely have a 30amp receptacle in the garage to run a small buzzbox welder for emercencies, but the load will not be like some residences, with AC/Electric stove etc.
We want the generator to be able to be started remotely.
Price is always part of the equation, but we are never against paying a little more for something that is genuinely worth it.
I have been digging around on the interweb and have read some reviews on a few makes and models, but I'm hoping that maybe some of you guys have had some real life experiences either good or bad that you wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks in advance!
Mike

Look into Onan. I installed one for my parents a few years ago supporting a 200 amp service. Cant remember exact model number.

We've run camp on a Predator generator, camp lights, 7 trailers plugged in, for 8 years.

Does nice job, and, if the Brandon voters help themselves, or burn down the forest again, your not out thousands

Make sure there is someone local to service it. I have a Kohler 25 kw and it’s damn near impossible to get someone out to work on it and when you do it costs a fortune.

In a pinch, you don't need much. I can run my fridge, freezer, and pellet stove on a Champion 2000w. I thought about putting in a switch so I could go from the generator to the grid with the flip of a switch. My 2000 is dual fuel and runs as good as Hondas that I've had in the past. It can also be stacked with other Champion generators to increase watts. The only thing it won't run is my shallow well jet pump for spring water, which is not a big deal because I can use an RV pump directly from the spring box that is conveniently located inside my utility room in my house. Yes, my house is weird, but it is incredibly energy efficient and I own it outright.

Quite a few good ones out there. The key is to run them every month or so and stay on top of maintenance. Our camp doesn't have a huge draw so we went with a Predator 3500. Quiet and cheap but likely not what you are looking for. As mentioned above, Generac are solid.

In your shoes, I would contact the closest generator service company and see what they recommend. Might be a good idea to buy from them if they are a dealer so you get the service perks associated with that.

In the community I live in there are dozens of Generac home back up generators. They are natural gas and fully automatic. Some are twenty years old and I never see anyone working on them but they only run a few minutes per week. They are weatherproof and just sit outside beside the house.

There are several companies around that sell them and work on them.

I don’t have one because I don’t think the electricity is off enough to justify one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom