Gentlemens Hunt ??

OldJake

My dad is a nonres and will be 77 this year. He has 8 points for elk. I am looking for ideas on possible units that would be a great experience for him. Hiking is difficult for him, and riding a horse is actually easier, but the last time I took him back in more than 5 miles was pretty hard on him.
Do you guys have any ideas on an "easier" elk hunt? Obviously, I would just like a good experience for him and a few grandkids.
Doesn't have to be this fall, but who knows how many hunts will be in the future.
Thanks guys :)

8 points is really a bad spot! No mans land... To many for lower unit, not enough for a top unit. That being said, can he shoot open sights? Does he have a Muzzleloader? For me I would think an earlier hunt with nicer weather and the rut would be the best bet! While I will not give up my spot or unit, I have hunted archery season for the last 12 years now and have killed 10 bulls and not one has been further than 800 yards from a road. I would think that just about any unit in the state with a muzzy tag could be similar. Look for units with lots of public ground, decent road access then spend lots of time in the truck on the roads with spotting scopes and listening for bugles. I would suggest looking at unit with some lower elevations and not hunting the high dark timber but looking more in the oak, mountain mahogany lands. Nearly any unit to the east of meeker, around Craig, steamboat, etc. fit this bill. Use the rut to bring elk to him and not necessarily him to the elk!

I'm not worried about the better units with his 8 points. I'm just hoping for ideas on what units would be "easier" on him. The unit I usually hunt is too steep and rough. He has shot more than a few bulls in the past with a muzzleloader. The rut muzzy hunt would be preferred. I understand that guys wouldn't want to give up their favorite units. I don't expect trophy units either, just something that wouldn't be too hard on him. I have drug him into spots in the past that I wouldn't dare take him into now. Also, he doesn't archery hunt anymore. Archery isn't an option for him. Burning his 8 points on a unit that takes less isn't a worry either. Thanks for your reply elks96.

No problem! I am very familiar with the NW section of the state. I could help you with information in any of those units. I would tend to think a person could do decent in most units. I particularly would look at unit 12, 23, 24... 32 is an option, as well! They all have good road access and with a little looking at Google earth you could probably find areas where people will drive past over look etc.

It is always hard to determine what is a proper unit for someone else etc. I will shoot a pm with more!

I have hunted 1 of the highest areas within 50 miles of Craig first season the last 14yrs. After first season there are few elk left up there. There all on private. Some trickle back in but it's pretty slim pickins.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom