German Wirehaired Pointer

alp75

Very Active Member
I'm looking at getting one in the next 6 months or so. Anybody have any contacts?

Thanks.

I have a litter of German Shorthair Pointers coming in april if you might be intersted in one?

If not checkout utahbirddogs there's a couple guys there that run them and can help get you setup with a great hunter.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

vdd gna do a google search.

You get one of these dogs from this breed organization, you are guaranteed mom and dad, and every one up the line "do the work". Every dog certified for breeding is tested and judged on the work. Its just up to you get them to the field.

Smoke Creek wirehairs out of colorado. He has some Marie Laveu blood lines...top quality hunting dogs.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Wow, thanks for the responses. I have some homework to do now. Getting excited for a new addition to the family.

I should have said, these aren't just upland bird dogs. They are evaluated for natural ability first, then the breed certification test covers the pointing, nose, search, and cooperation like in the natural ability, then retrieving of fur and feather, upland and water, as well as search behind a live duck.
If you want to test through VGP(utility test), blood tracking is also thrown in, along with some 36 different identifiable tasks.
Some are then tested on a 20 hr old 1000 meter blood track, and then a 40 hour old 1000 meter blood track.

Some of these top shelf utility dogs in the VDD are unbelievable.

All done inside of the German testing system.

I just spent the last hour or two reading up on the site you suggested. Sounds like the exact dog I am looking for. I like to know that the dogs have strict requirements to remain as breeding stock. Do you have any reputable breeders you recommend inside of utah?

If I was going to get a dog in the near future in UT, I would look at Lynn Whitely or Jason Wilde.

There are a TON of breeders any more. One of the things that I liked about the club, was very few breeders. Things have definitely changed.

Look at the letter of the litter, that will give you a clue as to how long they have been breeding. IE, your first litter, the names will start with "A", second litter "B". Not saying that a first time breeder didn't do his research, etc. But the long time guys usually have a plan for the type of dog they want to produce, water strong, upland, grit, long coat, shorter coat, boot lickers, big running, etc. Call em and talk.

You can get pics of the dog they produce too, the natural ability scores of litters they have had, etc.

Oh, and you aren't required to do any of the testing. You can take your dog and run. But for the sake of the breed and the breeder, its good to know what you are throwing out there.

You can also contact Laura Myles at Inverness Kennels up near Seattle. She's really big in the GWP community and I got Baxter from her summer before last. Without a doubt, THE best damn dog I've ever had! Hope you're ready for the sticker shock, though. They're not cheap anywhere. He's my second one and they're great dogs for sure!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom