getting my son in to hunting... any advice??

alinrut

So I've hunted for years, I've taken my son out a few times. He usually carries his bb gun so that he can learn how to handle a rifle and the basics.
He now has a .22 and I'm getting him into the 4H shooting club to learn the finer points of shooting.
I'm looking at getting a shotgun for kids and starting him off on rabbits and pheasant this spring, maybe even turkey.
Then leading into possibly antelope and finally elk/deer next fall.

My question to ya'll...
1) I've never hunted rabbit/pheasant/turkey... am I biting off more than I can chew or is this a good place to start him off?
2) If it's you in my shoes what would you do different?
3) Any final advice on starting someone into hunting?? I think as long as I'm patient with him, tolerate the additional noise, let him have fun, and get him opportunity to shoot stuff he'll enjoy it

thanks in advance for your input,
al

Start him off slow & EASE in to it!

Teach him there's more to life than KILLING stuff!

If I had to buy the Bullets I Spent when I was Younger now I be in trouble,nothing wrong with Target Practice & Plinking & hunting!

When He gets old enough check in to Youth Big Game Hunts/Permits!

Teach him there is more to life than the Opportunists way of thinking!

You'll do fine,but I think I'd work up to the Gobblers!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!
What Voltage of Cordless Sawzall are you running & what's your quickest Drive-By at hackin the Horns off of RoadKills?

Making it a group effort might be a good idea. Do you have another friend with a boy that hunts? If you all went out as a group of friends it might add to the fun.

The local trap and skeet club. Mostly structured supervision, with high emphasis on safety, people with like interests and lots of targets.

Alot of them have youth programs, training and discounts.

The friendly competition never hurts either.

I would agree start him off slow and ease into it. Teach him hunting is about being with family and friends and being in the outdoors and not all about the kill. Gosh i remember those days i was a kid and would go hunting with my dad i think sometimes he wanted to kill me for making so much noise. When i was a boy my dad took me and brother hunting pot guts, I was about 12 and my little brother was about 10. That day he shot a pot gut and it was a female with babies when we walk over to see if it was dead it was laid open so you could see and the babies, he is 28 yrs old now and that was the last day he touched a gun, lets just say his lifetime hunting license doesn't see a lot of action. Take from that story what you would like it was just a little food for thought.

If you have some where close that you can practice, maybe shoot ground squirrels, jacks, crows, and a dove hunt in a good spot would be a great first year.

Good advice from all and it's appreciated, he's excited about the thought... he's never been around when I've killed a deer so he's very interested in the insides, but that is a good point about the shock effect if he's not ready.

I totally agree with making it more than about the kill, as a kid the only time spent with my dad was when I was hunting, in trouble, or workin' around the house. So you can see the most fun I had was hunting with him.

I'll ease him into it, get him out shed hunting this year so he get's used to being out and about, hopefully some squirrels and birds present an opportunity for him. Thanks for the input....

I'm looking forward to growing in the woods with him and I'll check out the local clubs. Group huntings isn't an option yet, as we just moved here this year. As far as I know, none of his friends families hunt (that he's made thus far).

thanks again,

al

It is always good to hear about a Father starting his son out on his first hunts and adventures in the field. We are doing this right now with my Grandson only 9 yrs old. Teaching him the basics as he follows along behind us as we hunt. We put together local special hunts specifically to teach him the ropes as well as to track game.

I agree with everyone's posts....teach your son everything you can about the outdoors, teach him slowly, teach him to be a good hunter as well as to be an ethical sportsman...there is a difference. Teach him to only take ethical shots, firearms or bows and to ALWAYS BE SAFE IN THE FIELD with his weapons.

"Kids will make mistakes" check his chamber yourself. Stop him in the field during hunting/shooting and look at the position of the safety. Kids like to play with safety's because they are kids. If he messes up, let him know the right way it should be done "don't yell" then make him physically do the chambering and unloading to make the weapon safe for handleing. It is your obligation to keep everyone in your hunting party safe because you have someone in training.. Until you are comfortable with your sons weapon handling. For me "there are to many distractions" for your son hunting with other youth near the same age while he's just starting out....Do that later.. Safety wise as well as teaching methods differ, don't confuse your son. You want your son to focus on you and only what you tell him so he is clear on every issue every step he takes while he has a weapon in his hand.. Personally, I don't want to be distracted or have my child distracted as well need to watch the other youth out of the corner of my eye and his safe handleing of weapons. Plus I do not want our youth picking up any bad habits..or being confused by the other adult and what he does/tells his youth if it is not correct or not in your hunting philosphy..

This year in our area we had an 11yr. old boy shoot and kill his Grandfather accidentally when the Grandson had a loaded shotgun discharge while exiting the pickup pheasant hunting. This was the Grandson's first hunting trip. Happened the week prior to Thanksgiving. Stupid Adults created this issue and now the child will have to live with that image forever.

Safety, Safety, Safety...What you put in your son's mind now will teach your son "ethics in the field" and SAFETY and that is the way he will act later in his adult life. Teach your son why you are killing and harvesting the game....Teach him it is not just about killing an animal. If you don't like a specific type of game meat don't kill the animal just for the killing....

I brought up my family backcountry hunting and we ate plenty of tag soup because it wasn't always about the killing..Teach your son that sometimes you need to pass on smaller game to allow them to grow and multiply unless you need the meat.

Ground squirrels, rabbits, then as he progresses into game birds and big game teach him the ethical stuff and where in the games body to place an ethical kill shot. To take the game quickly and cleanly to limit wounded and lost game as much as possible.

))))......>

Got to support what's already been said.

I raised 5 and now have 9 grandkids, so far, all love the outdoors lifestyle.

Youngsters love to be with their Dads. The only thing they love more is their Moms.

What ever they see Mom and Dad do, they want to do. They want to copy and emulate the humans they are bonded to and they want to please you by showing you they can do what you do.

Then they are little (3-6) they naturally love the outdoors and the never ending discovery associated with interaction in the sights, sounds, and smells of mother earth. (If you wait much past 4 or 5 years of age to get started outdoors they find other interests and actually dislike the more "harsh" natural environment.) Fear is a result of encountering something that is foreign and unfamiliar, the older they get the more fears they develop. Generally the only thing a really young child fears is something that hurts them. When they are little they will plow head long into most anything, eat worms, hold snakes, kiss fish, walk thru fires, crawl under a rotten stump, roll in the mud, wade a creek, climb a tree, whatever. They want to see, feel and taste everything in their new and wondrous world. If they are never allowed, with the watchful eye of a cautious but understanding Dad or Mom, to wallow in the arms and legs of the wild outdoors, at a very early age, they will grow up to fear and dislike it. If you wait until they are 8 or 9 years old, for many, it's too late because they have already developed a great many believes of what's satisfying and what's not. By 8 they not going to put a worm in their mouth to feel the texture!

By the time my kids were 4 they were shooting a Red Ryder BB gun and a fiberglass bow and arrow. By the time they were 6 they had fired thousands of BB's at every imaginable target, release a thousand arrows at the same targets. They'd spent entire days, from sun up to sun down being my little hunters in our backyard and in our camps on the mountain. During these early years I watched them like an old bad tempered bear, to protect them and protect what they might bounce a BB or a field tip off.

From the time they were 2, then I was "road hunting" they were in the truck, glue to the windows, they spotted a great many rock and stump deer, I checked every one, "there a deer Dad", they called out, I encourage them to keep it up, never discouraging them when they mistook a sagebrush for a buck. They were there when I pulled the trigger, saw the results, learned to love and respect life and the reality of death and appreciate the hunter/game dance. They learned to love all aspects of man and nature and man's duty to protect and preserve the wild side of the world.

As they grew older 8-10 and demonstrated more responsibility and understanding of the consequences of their actions, I moved them up to pellet guns and let them take a few shots with a .22 rifle, always within arms length, every coaching and restricting if necessary as they learned to use more powerful weapons. We bought them bigger bows and gave them more freedom as appropriate. I allowed them to shoot sparrows, blackbirds, starlings, squirrels and on occasion a few rabbits. I told them not to shoot robins, meadowlarks, and other song birds and when they did I let them know my displeasure and we talked about the difference between nuisance species and desirable species. (Yep, I know all species have value and belong in the eco-system and all life is valuable and we had many, many talks about that too.)

As they grew older (8-12) I took them on off road hunting/fishing trips, over night camps under the stars, away from the roads and down in the canyons, I tried to be careful no to demand too much or let them get too cold but they learned the difference in road hunting with Mom and they younger kids and putting on the packs and heading out for a couple of days. Some times they couldn't take the snow or cold wind and wanted to head for camp early, I usually called it quits early if they'd had enough but as they got tougher we'd stay out longer.

By the time they were 14 they were spending every after school evening in the back yard shooting 200 arrows in a stack of hay bails and bagging to shot clay pigeons with the 20 gauge we'd given them on their twelfth birthday. Saturdays were the same, arrows and pellet guns, off to the surrounding hills on their own, by now I trusted them to take off on there own so long as I knew the general area they were in and when to expect them back. They had already, by 14, learned how to be comfortable in the outdoors.

I took them to Colorado so they could hunt deer at 14, hauled them to New Mexico to hunt elk at 16 (They had the tags, I didn't, I was the camp master, chauffeur and the financier.)

By this time my sons had attended many Wildlife Board Meetings, learned the regulations and the logic behind game management. They were committed to the life style. Dated young ladies from families that had common outdoor experiences,
purchased appropriate vehicles (pickups) and spent their limited dollars on outdoor equipment.

In addition to hunting and fishing they were all involved in school sports, (State Championships) dating, after school jobs, attended their church services, visiting Disneyland, going to boring family reunions, etc. My youngest son worked enough during his sophomore and junior years of high school to save $5000 which he spent to go on a caribou hunt in the North West Territories of Canada before he was a high school senior. He paid his own airfare, his own outfitter, and tipped his own guide without a single dime from his Dad or Mom. I'm not attempting to brag on my kids but I just wanted to make it clear that, besides being immersed in hunting and fishing everyone of them enjoys and participates in all the other "normal" activities that most of our youth enjoy.

There were many, many times when I could have left them at home, it might have been easier, I might have stayed out longer, I might have spent more time with my buddies but I wanted my children to love outdoors and have a lifetime commitment to the way of life that comes from understanding and respecting the real world so I made the investment and in my mind it has paid off. They are now carrying my back pack and looking out for me, I respect them.

So..........to answer the original question, start from the minute they can eat solids, be their mentor, don't leave it to anyone else, give them your time, give them more time, take time, make time, take them BB gun hunting without your .22, take them fishing without your rod, when they're with you, dedicate your time to teach them how things work, how to make it happen safe and make it easy. Make the outdoors comfortable and familiar by frequent opportunity.

I've watched a lot of MMers post pictures of their children engaged in hunting and fishing, i've read stories of their experience with their children and I'd bet you a rib-eye they have raised their children in a very similar way. There's not much of a mystery how to get kids to love hunting but it does take your commitment to the family. Rare cases when children pick it up on their own, good for them if they do, but you can sure improve their odds if "you" do the work.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm tooting my horn, I feel fortunate that I've had the opportunity and wish you and your children the very best from your outdoor adventures.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom