Getting Started Question

Warrior10

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-18 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]New guy here so bear with me. I am not searching for secret spots, handouts, etc. I am just looking for the starting point. I have spent the last two weeks pouring through message board forums and I was thrilled to find this site. I have read more useful information on here in 1 hour than I did in days on the other sites. I plan to continue pouring through the past information on here.

I have never went through the Colorado points system so I am starting 100% clueless. Here are a few general questions I have, and feel free not to answer if you prefer not to:

Few details about my search: Young and in good shape, we are not afraid to get off the beaten path and work during the hunt. Prefer high country, but will very much consider other terrains (Not sure I have many choices w/0 points). Depending on the time of year prefer to camp, don't need a cabin/etc. Personal preference of mine would be opportunity at seeing few 150+ bucks vs a bunch of deer general, I guess quality > quantity is what I am saying. I look forward to the experience and seeing bucks 150+ will just be a bonus. Trip length would likely be 8-9 days. Wouldn't mind getting off the beaten path and spending those 8-9 days away for "society".

1. Obviously I have zero points built up, are there any reasonable units I have a chance of drawing 3rd season rifle? Don't want to waste time researching 3rd season if chances are slim/none.

2. If the answer to #1 is "no", any with better chances for 2nd season or archery that one would suggest?

3. Any other general suggestions for a rookie just looking to begin the process?

I understand I don't have much to contribute for others as far as information, however if/when I get a hunt under my belt I will be sure to share what I can. Any tips/help is appreciated, but not expected.

Your best bet with zero points is going to be archery, very few rifle hunts with even a chance to draw. There are a few archery hunts with a 60% chance to draw with zero. I think a chance of seeing 150 class bucks is pretty good in most units. Putting an arrow in one is another matter. The unit I hunt has a lot of high country wilderness with lower elevations mostly private. I'm too dang old to pack into the wilderness at 67, so I rely on OnX to help me navigate the private.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

>Have you thought about elk hunting?
>

Honestly just something I do not have interest in. I have a lot of buddies that enjoy it, I just don't have a desire to. Thanks though.

Appreciate the info/thoughts sagebrush. I figured archery would be the easiest and then try to build up from there. I do bow hunt so it is an option. I prefer rifle, but am open to researching archery. Is archery hunting pressure heavy, from my experience pressured deer are tough to stalk?

Overall I am hoping to choose a unit where we can use our age (25) to an advantage. I would need a little guidance as far as weather but we are open, and probably prefer, to camping in the unit and getting deep into the country. Hoping this would allow us to get away from other hunters and the opportunity to cover more ground/see more deer.

Forgive my ignorance here but I found a chart that mapped minimum points needed per unit in 2017. This chart provided at units like 11-211 at a above 50% draw for NR 2nd season rifle. Is this something worth pursuing or would you recommend sticking to higher probabilities. Maybe this chart is B/S also.

Appreciate the thoughts so far, have learned a lot in the last two hours reading past threads!

Warrior,
Some units like 11 are more migration dependent than others so in those units, the earlier hunts (second season) are not near as good as when the deer are on the move to lower country.
Since you are young and willing to hike, I'd consider some of the high country hunts, especially archery. You may have to build some points to get into a rifle hunt, but study the odds. Lots of guys have been building points so you may have to be patient to get into a good unit, but there are always a few decent bucks in every unit, if you know where to look.
Best of luck

Thanks littlebighorn. Spent most of last evening researching further on this site and on the game and parks site and that has helped a lot.

Thanks for the heads up on migration, not something I had previously thought about as it is something we don't deal with at home.

I am struggling understanding CO Game and Park's odd's sheets compared to a couple other states I have looked at, but I am sure I will get the hang of it.

I understand with 0 points I likely have to put in my time, I don't expect to jump to the top of the list. I am understanding correctly my best chance of building points is to put in for a lower odds hunt, perhaps rifle as Choice 1, then a more realistic odds archery as Choice 2? Then if I get drawn, unlikely I know, on Choice 1 I can be happy to take the hunt and build 0pts...but if I get drawn for Choice 2 or not drawn at all I can pocket a point?

Really do appreciate the info. I have a buddy in Unit 7 right now, so I will try to provide any update/tips I can back to the board.

Not sure if you are a resident, but you could always hunt a 2nd choice and build points for a year or two and find a decent hunt with those points. Like has been said, all units can and do hold a 150+ buck, so you always have a chance. Even with a unit that takes a few years to draw, no guarantee to see a big buck.

CO gives the tags to max point persons in the draw, so you have a pretty good idea if you are going to draw a given unit based on historical drawing odds.

Good luck to you.

Thanks, Trevor.

Finally figured out how to understand the Draw Statistics today. Now I understand as a NR w/0pts drawing a 2nd choice tag is unlikely in most units, which is fine.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a newbie feel free to comment or PM me. I believe I am going to look at archery hunts so any info there would be appreciate, however not expected. Thanks for everyone for the input!

There are absolutely units available for second or third season with 0 points needed. Some are available in the second choice pool. Some of these units are vast and will require tons of homework but it is extremely feasible to hunt Colorado every single year and pack in 5 miles if you desire. There will be a couple year learning curve to get meg semi figured out but some of these units produce giants on occasion but 150 is an absolute chip shot.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Appreciate the feedback. Doing my 2nd/3rd season drawing stats research now.

What you described above is the exact situation I am looking for.

Thanks.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom