Gila 16 Guides

crcountry

Hello All:

With the reduction of NR tags, and the diminished chance of gaining a tag without the use of an outfitter, I'm certainly thinking of applying in NW with an outfitter this year (for the 1st time ever).

Who is a well respected, knowledgeable, backcountry elk outfitter who uses horses to access 16A/D, 15 or 17? Obviously these bow/MZ tags are primo tags during the heat of the rut, so if I choose an outfitter and get drawn, there's no going back....time to research now just in case I'm one of the lucky ones to draw.

I was considering calling the Carter's, but I wanted some opinions from local folks first.

Thxs-
Chris

Any outfitter suggestion for 16B? I'm plugging away on-line now, and the odds aren't too bad for those that apply with an outfitter....after 6 elk hunts in CO (5 being successful in an OTC unit), I've never even considered an outfitter....but the odds for DIY hunters in NM is getting tough
Chris

Upfront Outfitters are really good, I used them on my Muzzleloader hunt in 17 two years ago! and this last got someone a 386 bull on the second muzz 17.

You need to contact G.T. Nunn with Frontier Outfitting. Hands down one of the best in any of those units!!

I'm researching G.T Nunn now....thxs for the lead. I haven't found anything bad about this outfit, and will pursue this lead.

GT Nunn Frontier Outfitters...He is a great guy , just a good honest cowboy who will work his tail off for you,Outfitting is his life, he rides mules/horseback all year in his areas and has successfully killed mule deer and bulls for gov tag holders.He is top notch! Another guy if GT is fully booked at that time , Bill Lewellen One on One adventures/outfitters. This guy is another tough cowboy who I think is part mtn goat and knows his areas well and offers true back country hunts in the 16s' with good livestock to get you in and your trophy out...Both these guys are 2nd or 3rd generation outfitters and just great cowboys, will work like heck to get you on quality animals and give you a true back country adventure...PM and I can share more if you'd like, but you can't go wrong with either of these guys...

Give Jim and Kelly at JFWRC a call.
505-294-7861
www.newmexicobiggamehunting.com
I have used them and they have always did 110% for us.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Lots of guides in the Gila. Only a few standouts who live and die by the Gila in my opinion and have laid more monster bulls to rest than the others. Do your homework unless you just want to pay someone to apply on their outfitter number.

GT Nunn/ GT

Beaverhead Outfitters/Jack Diamond and family

Limestone Outfitters/ Daryl Welty and family

www.streamflies.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-12 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]What about richie hogan from impact trophy hunts. The dude is a walking encyclopedia on the gila. He is also responsible for more 400 inch plus bulls than anyone else over there.I was having a tough time in the gila one year on a 16 A archery tag finding a bull over 370 and was lucky enough to run into richie on the road going back to town for gas. I decided to check my pride at the front door and expressed my frustration to richie and he told me to go look at a certain place. Long story short, 2 days later i was the proud new owner of a 384 gila monster. Hands down richie is the best guide in the gila, without a doubt. If i was going on a guided hunt in the gila and i wanted to be knee deep in giant bulls i would hire richie. There is only one best and that's good ole richie. Good luck to all this year in the draw.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-12
>AT 08:55?PM (MST)

>
>What about richie hogan from impact
>trophy hunts. The dude is
>a walking encyclopedia on the
>gila. He is also responsible
>for more 400 inch plus
>bulls than anyone else over
>there.I was having a tough
>time in the gila one
>year on a 16 A
>archery tag finding a bull
>over 370 and was lucky
>enough to run into richie
>on the road going back
>to town for gas. I
>decided to check my pride
>at the front door and
>expressed my frustration to richie
>and he told me to
>go look at a certain
>place. Long story short, 2
>days later i was the
>proud new owner of a
>384 gila monster. Hands down
>richie is the best guide
>in the gila, without a
>doubt. If i was going
>on a guided hunt in
>the gila and i wanted
>to be knee deep in
>giant bulls i would hire
>richie. There is only one
>best and that's good ole
>richie. Good luck to all
>this year in the draw.
>

Hogan clients killed some big New Mexico Gila bulls in the glory days of the 90s, no doubting that. Lots of big Arizona bulls too. Not too easy to find bulls over 370" these days though (I would love to see some pics of your 384, much less some recently killed 400" Gila bulls).

However, there is only one Gila outfit who guides what is likely the most star-studded clientele in the state for one reason.

www.streamflies.com

I thought 1 of the giants richie guided for that was around 420 was killed around 2005 in 16A archery. I also saw a picture of a bull killed just this year i believe in 16 on his phone when i ran into him in the kaibab late hunt this year that was in the 380 range with at least 20 inches broken off. Not trying to step on anyones toes over there, and im sure there are a few other guys over there that know the gila really well, but richie knows every nook and crany over there. Once you know the gila, you know the gila so to speak, and richie knows the gila inside and out. On top of him knowing the gila, he has got to be in the top 5 best hunters i have ever had the honor of meeting. You could drop richie off in any unit blindfolded and he would still muck out a giant for his client. I dont post pics of my animals, so there isnt a chance of him(the animal) being attacked for some reason. I killed him in 2005, and he is a 7 by 7 with 56 inch main beams. Thanks richie for the tip dude.

No worries man, no doubting his skills as a Gila guy. Not to mention that an outfitter willing to help an average DIY joe deserves some real respect. I think that 420 was killed before 2005 if I remember correctly (assuming it's the same archery NT that was on the cover of Eastmans magazine back in the day)? And a 380 bull from the 16s in 2011!? Wow, if so that is likely the largest bull killed in the New Mexico portion of the Gila all season.

I respect not wanting to show pictures of your bull, but I don't know of anyone that would attack a picture of a 380+ bull on this forum, we all love know and love our big Gila bulls. Sounds like Hogan rightfully garnered a ton of your respect putting you on a monster like that as nothing more than a mere favor. A rare and impressive favor indeed.

Also, I think Ross Johnson (RIP) put more 400+ bulls to rest in the New Mexico Gila region and in New Mexico in general than any other outfitter ever has or will.

www.streamflies.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-12 AT 07:51AM (MST)[p]Nmelktrout, i sure wished i lived in new mexico these days. Drawing an elk tag in arizona is all but over. I love the gila more than any other place to hunt elk. I would take a prime gila tag over arizona almost any day. 2 of the 3 bulls over 370 i have taken with my bow have been from the gila since 2005. The gila doesnt have as many top end bulls as arizona, but the country in the gila is the best. There isnt another place like the gila that gives me the feeling i get walking into the woods on opening morning. The gila is a mystical place, and with the lack of roads its also a very private place also. I have known richie for close to 17 years, and everywhere he goes giants are left taking dirt naps in his wake. Since i have known richie, he has always been a very sharing guy with hius spots, probably cause he knows he can just find another big animal to hunt other than the one he is willing to share. I rarely put another hunter on a pedastal, but richie is deserving of the pedastal. I have met or guided with alot of the biggest names in the guiding world, and richie is a standout for sure. I will look for some pics my bull, and if i can get over my fear of posting pics, i will try to get them up.

couesmagnet, it's clear from how you describe them that we share the same passion for the incredible elk and country of the Gila. It's a hunt every elk hunter must experience at least once. And, you are fortunate to have crossed paths with someone of Hogan's class and to have harvested 2 Gila bulls of that caliber. It's rare that chance encounters turn out that way and I only wish it were more commonplace these days.

Don't worry about posting pics, I would love to see some big Gila bulls and anyone who knocks a picture of a big bull has their own issues. Doesn't detract from the hunt or the animal in my opinion.

I'm thinking that with some good spring rains this just might be a great year in the Gila...good luck to all in pulling some tags!

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

>>LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-12
>>AT 08:55?PM (MST)

>>

>
>However, there is only one Gila
>outfit who guides what is
>likely the most star-studded clientele
>in the state for one
>reason.
>
>
>
>www.streamflies.com

Hey NMelktrout, I'm curious as to who the outfitter is who has the biggest "starstudded" clientele? I mean, Lee and Tiffany and Waddell have hunted with Tuffy Barnett, Realtree guys with the Diamonds, Audrey McQueen always has the HS specialty guys and the she-safari gal,Perry Hunsaker has accounted for bulls for Waddell and the Bone collector bunch Pat Reeves, Chris Bracket and Blanton. The Weltys have had primos guys and realtree in camp,GT with the long range guys.... I'm sure I"ve missed A BUNCH of celebs and outfitters and I apologize if I left off someones favorite!!!. The point that I'm making is there are a bunch of GREAT AWESOME outfitters that operate down there, some you never hear of. Most of the time these celebs are just looking for cheap hunts and the the outfitters are looking for advertising(Again not that they aren't awesome!!!)But that's the reality.Sometimes smaller is better.....

You are right Pistolero, my posts do limit the list to a couple of outfits while there are a lot of good, hard-working guides and outfitters in the Gila. I pm'ed you with more specificity as to your post above. And I should have added Tuffy and Perry to that list, they are proven producers for certain. I think my main point is to do your homework and go with the best, whether it be a hard working up-and-comer or a salty legend. Most of the above-mentioned hunting celebs do in fact have one outfit as their first choice. The hunts are far from cheap and the guy doesn't need to do any promoting. His outfit quietly hammers monster bulls year in and out.

So, who are the up-and-coming or top notch small crews? Let's give them some credit here.

www.streamflies.com

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom