Gila Archery

tayhot

What do you guys think of the first Gila archery season? I drew the second season last year and was curious what the bulls are doing on the first hunt? Are they vocal?

I had the first hunt last season, I was disappointed.
I heard a few bugles, but they went quiet fast.
I passed on a couple of cows, only saw one big (330) bull, at 250 yards.
Hundreds of other hunters and people scouting for later hunts.
It seemed like every body who had a tag bought their whole family and ten friends. It felt like a Colorado OTC tag.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 00:24AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 00:22?AM (MST)

That sounds like AZ! My buddy Les had a turkey tag last fall (draw only of course). Between the archery elk hunters, archery deer hunters hunting or scouting for the next season...nevermind the early rifle hunters...he said it was a ZOO. Can't forget the "bird watchers" wearin birkenstock sandals and driving VeeDub buses too. I guess that's what I like about the NM tags I've had so far...peeps you see or either hunting or cutting firewood.

Tough decision...hunt WAY before the rut and scouters, or try to draw a later tag.

I hunted 1st season this past year and can confirm that they were bugling but would shut down very quick after daybreak which was frustrating. Prolly had more time to work them in the evenings. Unlike the other post here though, I rarely saw another hunter, had multiple shot opps and killed a 350 gross bull. Like anywhere you hunt it depends on where you are. I scouted a few places the couple of days before the season opened and saw all those people mentioned previously. That made me keep looking. I wasnt willing to set up in the middle of all that and fight everybody. It wasnt a slam dunker of a hunt and took 6 days of hard/smart hunting but it can be a good hunt on the first season. I've hunted the 1st season twice and 2nd once down there and i dont know that I have seen much difference between the 1st and 2nd. JMO. Im sure there are guys though that would disagree with this but it goes back to where you are. Good luck.

I would think first season if you can find water getting hammered 4+ miles off the road, you will just about have it to yourself. I killed my rifle bull 12 miles from the truck, made for a looooong night.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom