Glock G20 carry.

mtmuley

Long Time Member
Looking for a way to carry while wearing a pack. Not a big fan of the drop leg system. I would like to have the holster stay attached to my belt so if I drop the pack the gun is still there. Asking the impossible? mtmuley

I have a great cordura and neoprene holster I got a number of years ago at Gallenson Guns in SLC. I believe it is a safariland, but I honestly can't rememeber.

The cool part about it is that it can be swapped from rh to lh for my bass awkward lefty carry and has very little plastic on it. I archery hunt mostly and am always hitting my release on it and with any sort of plastic in the holster it makes a ton of noise critters can hear from a mile away.

It also completely covers the trigger area so that if I fell into a dead fall or bush, a branch can't go through it and touch one off with one in the pipe.

I carry it hooked to the waist belt to carbon frame tensioner on my Kuiu Ultra pack. Fully available at all times. I can also unhook it from the pack and onto my belt if I drop my pack. It's a pain to get off of there, so I most often just put it in my pocket if I take my pack off.

My buddy Ken carries his behind his ADAK bino case, but it really digs into your chest there and isn't as convenient if you ask me.

Anyway there's a couple of idea's.

Cheers, Pete

g20-carry-pic.jpg

g20-holster.jpg

g20-holster-1.jpg

Chest rigs would be tough with my bino harness already there. Might have to go the switch to belt route if I drop my pack. mtmuley

I use a reverse "fanny pack" pistol carry, that has a quick open tab. My pack is shoulder harness only so that may be a limitation for you.

When I carried a G20 I settled on the Kenai from Gunfighters Inc. It was ideal for keeping the pistol accessible and secure and virtually unnoticeable. I carried it with a backpack and with my AGC bino rig. No issues. At the end of the day I’d dump my pack and bino rig and still have the Kenai on while going to get water, set camp etc. North Idaho is brutal country with even worse foliage. Never an issue with the pistol coming loose in the holster. FWIW I tried various belt rigs on my pack carrying evolved to the Kenai and I wouldn’t go back to a belt or thigh rig under any circumstances.

I attach my holster to either the waist of my backpack or the shoulder strap. Yeah it takes a minute to take the holster off when not wearing the pack but it hasn't been a big deal for me.

Looking for a way to carry while wearing a pack. Not a big fan of the drop leg system. I would like to have the holster stay attached to my belt so if I drop the pack the gun is still there. Asking the impossible? mtmuley
We carry our G20’s on holster with belt clip, usually clip holster to backpack strap then if dropping pack for a stalk attach holster to belt clip.

I wear the Kenai chest holster under my AGC bino pack with no issues. I taped the plastic buckles on both to make sure they are silent.

165C387C-4FA8-4EE1-9C28-E3FD035496B0.jpeg
I was thinking about one of these. It’s called the Raptor system. Other then that I have a Glock 34 and a 43 both in TYvek holsters. Just clip them on where they feel comfortable. I think you can put this on first then put the pack on.

Thanks Robb. It's on the list. mtmuley
That one looks like a thigh holster "what you don't want". Thinking the badlands pack 2200 might be what you're looking for if you plan to use it with a pack. I have a horn hunter and multiple other packs thats very annoying to use with a belted gun holster. If thats the same problem my buddy has a badlands and says there is a buitl-in holster that holds his glock 20 and 21SF "plus other brands and calibers". I don't have one these but I will by next spring.

I recently bought the center chest gunfighters Kenai holster for my 44 as I have an elk hunt in WY grizz country this fall. Here is my take so far:

Positives: It is very comfortable and distributes the hand cannon weight really well. The holster itself only weighs 10 ounces. It leaves the shoulders clear for back pack straps. Your gun is always with you and I don't notice it getting in the way much. It doesn't drag your pants down nor get in the way of backpack kidney pads.

Negatives: I can see it getting in the way of a large binocular harness for guys that use those. I only run small Swaro 8x30's and they sit lower and out of the way of this holster. If I ran 10x40+binocs in a flat brimmer magnet super duper auto close harness with bells and whistles I would be singing a different tune. The holster costs $150 which is pricey! but it's made in USA and is quality

Neutral: Drawing the hand cannon from this is kind of tough and takes some getting used to. I have long arms and Giant Chick Magnet Muscles ;-) so it's not too bad but my dad tried it and couldn't get it out of the holster very well. On the other hand your cannon isn't going to fall out of the holster and the sights and such are protected.

There is my .02

Holster.jpg

Another reason for the chest holster--I have been reading a lot of bear attack stories lately and a common theme is that the hunter had always just set his gun down or it was sitting on the pack a few feet away while quartering an animal or while they sit down to glass. Seems that Grizz are good at giving ya about 2 seconds warning so I wanted something on me at all times. I'm probably paranoid but I will always have time to pull binocs out of a pack but not so much when a grizz steps out. I also plan on strapping bear spray to the holster on the left hand side.

I recently bought the center chest gunfighters Kenai holster for my 44 as I have an elk hunt in WY grizz country this fall. Here is my take so far:

Positives: It is very comfortable and distributes the hand cannon weight really well. The holster itself only weighs 10 ounces. It leaves the shoulders clear for back pack straps. Your gun is always with you and I don't notice it getting in the way much. It doesn't drag your pants down nor get in the way of backpack kidney pads.

Negatives: I can see it getting in the way of a large binocular harness for guys that use those. I only run small Swaro 8x30's and they sit lower and out of the way of this holster. If I ran 10x40+binocs in a flat brimmer magnet super duper auto close harness with bells and whistles I would be singing a different tune. The holster costs $150 which is pricey! but it's made in USA and is quality

Neutral: Drawing the hand cannon from this is kind of tough and takes some getting used to. I have long arms and Giant Chick Magnet Muscles ;-) so it's not too bad but my dad tried it and couldn't get it out of the holster very well. On the other hand your cannon isn't going to fall out of the holster and the sights and such are protected.

There is my .02

View attachment 45175
Would that holster adjust to be below a bino harness? mtmuley

It would adjust to sit lower but the force it takes to yank the gun free, the holster really needs to be snug high and tight to the chest. If it sits too low and is loose I think that could be a problem with your draw. This thing really holds a gun tight and it takes some force to get it out. Double edged sword--it isn't going to fall out on accident but when you need it that holster needs to be tight on the chest and ya got to give it a good yank. Hope this answers your question

I have a FHF Bono harness that I run one of the strap through my Uncle Mikes holster. Pretty much turns it into a very accessible shoulder holster

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom