GMC 4x4 Forum

Not sure of any forums, but YouTube will probably have a few videos of what you’re looking for and you can go to the comments section to see a discussion of such task.

It sorta depends on what kind of truck it is. I use Diesel Place for my truck questions, which is a GM specific forum, but it's obviously geared toward the HD trucks with diesel engines. They have a lot of suspension, steering, chassis etc. type threads which would apply to HD gas trucks. There are plenty of truck and car forums out there so I'm sure you'll find one that fits your needs.

I had that same make and model and year. The only problem I had with it was the EVAP filter system on the gas tank. It was constantly giving me the check engine light and was a big battle with different gas caps and cleaning the filter. I ended up getting rid of it a few years ago while the price of used trucks were high.

That deal with dropping cylinders....you want to get rid of that. AFAIK, nobody has been able to make that work, w/o killing cylinders.

This used to be a pretty good forum.

Chevytalk.org is good, but it doesn't really specialize in O-R stuff.

You have a specific question Joe?
Hi tailchasers, I hope all is good with you and yours! My question is I’m wanting to lift my truck 5” in the front and add just an inch or two in the rear. The rear sets up already about 2.5”-3” higher then the front it needs more in the front to clear the tires plus I like the front to sit a little higher then the rear if I can. If I use a 3” leveling kit it won’t be enough for the front to clear 35x12.5x20 BF Goodrich tires. I can raise the front 5 1/2” to 6” with a spacer on top of the struts and 2” to 2 1/2” at the bottom of the strut then just use a 1”-2” leaf spring block to give the extra height for the tires which should work. So my question is wil this work without messing something up. I figured I can keep the transfer case the same angle if I use a level to calculate the angle drop of the stock set up that should work shouldn’t it? When I watched the Youtube video the bushing on the passenger side in the rear of the case must be a total pain to the butt because they didn’t show them putting it on. This way it wouldn’t cost very much at all compared to a 6” suspension lift, which would cost about $2,500 for the kit and $600 to $1,500 to have it installed. If I go to a 4wheeler shop their not going to tell you anything expect it’s not going to work.

I would recommend sporting the extra $ for the lift. I have a 2002 gmc 1500hd and tried going with the leveling kit first when it was almost new. It made it ride rougher than an old cab over tractor! Made it a few thousand miles like that and had a 6" lift put on it, the ride was vastly better! The only problem I was having with the lift was a bit of bind in the drive shaft because of the steeper angles, so I had a spacer made to drop the carrier bearing down about 5/8". I got rid of the chatter/vibration on a hard acceleration. It has 260,000 miles on it now and it does go through cv axles and idler arms frequently, but those can be changed out in minutes once you do it 6 times in the 22 years ive had it. That truck is my beater hunting rig now. It has been good to me even though I have put it through hell.
1711866059885.png

Last edited:
That’s a good story and a good looking rig thanks for sharing. I’m going to look at 6” RC lift
Thanks brother

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom