GMU 80/81

M

mtnview

I am looking for any general information about GMU 80 and 81. I am looking to register some family land for landowner vouchers in the southern portion of Conejos County and am doing the research to see if it is worth trouble. My research suggests the deer herds are not large, but it appears the deer hunting is good. The elk hunting seems is more difficult to evaluate. It appears to be OTC tags for the 2nd and 3rd seasons, with an either sex for the 1st and limited bull and cow for the 4th. Is this research on point? Can anyone tell me about the elk in 80 and 81? I see there are no other landowners drawing for the elk in these units. The success rate for elk in 80 and 81 would seem to be skewed because of the OTC tags and number of hunters.

I have hunted central Colorado many times and will be there in another GMU with a 4th season bull tag, but have never been down to the family land in Conejos County. I may have been missing the boat for years. I only recently learned it would qualify for landowner apps and received family permission to move forward on the concept.

Any general information would be appreciate. Not looking for honey holes, just a barometer in which to evaluate the elk in 80 and 81.

I live there and hunt only these two units. With the conejos canyon being my primary spot. The elk are there. Not as many as most people would think. The muleys are coming back. I have seen some monsters around the area. I think the main reason many people do not have landowner tags is that it is not a big deal in this part of Colorado. There is way too much public land for people to deal with landowner tags. Not too mention that there is really not much difference in the quality of game on private vs public. Anyone with a lot of land that has game on it usually has family and friends with OTC tags that hunt it. By the way what part of conejos county does your family have land I might know where it's at or them?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom