Good books

NVMDF

I don't know about most of you, but I read a lot in the morning having by cup of joe in the when everyone's sleeping. what are some good reads out there?

Im reading a book now called "Eating Stone". It's about a woman in Southern Utah that spends a year with a band of Desert Big Horn sheep, but gets into the human / animal relationship.

Check it out.

NVMDF

i was gonna say, sounds like a book about slammy....aside from the part about it being a woman having a relationship with sheep....LMAO!!! Im sure its a book that would uuuummmmm, "perk" his interest at the very least!

4b51f9eb019b017b.jpg

This thread ought to be good!

You mean like, a NOVEL?

Half these guys can't/won't do the hunting regs PAMFLET!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-11 AT 06:28PM (MST)[p]I am currently reading a book called "Shadows on the Koyukuk" Its about a Alaskan Natives life, living along the Koyukuk River in the bush of AK. He has stories about trapping and hunting as a means of survival. So far it has been a very interesting, neat book. I highly reccomend it if you ever come across it, buy it! By Sidney Huntington (as told to Jim Rearden)

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

Elisha Wallen the Longhunter is a true story about a hunter that lived during the time of the birth of our nation. Amazon sell it for $30 plus shipping.

Vince Flynn! Vince Flynn! Vince Flynn! A friend of mine introduced them to me and I am hooked. It's a 10 or 11 book series and they are awesome to read.

It's always an adventure!!!

Last of the Breed
Sackett's Land
To the Far Blue Mountains
Jubal Sacket
The Warrior's Path

All are Louis L'Amour novels. The last four follow frontiersmen through two generations. Good stuff.

i just read a book by w.f. drannan called 31 years on the plains and in the mountains. it is a true story of a boy who was basically adopted by kit carson. he worked his way through life as a mountain man, army scout, indian fighter and hunter. its a good read if you enjoy history. i also love anything by patrick f mcmanus. he used to write a humor column for outdoor life and has several books out. all of them are good and funny. just remember if you order any books by him that its patrick F mcmanus. there is another writer named patrick mcmanus (without the f). if you buy his stuff you get some very poor poetry written by some british hippy. also check out a book called orrin porter rockwell, man of god son of thunder. its another great true history book

To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth
Jeff Cooper

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

I don't read too many books written by women but "Half broke Horses" and "The Glass Castle" are a couple of good reads and you should read them in that order. They start out in the turn of the century and then go into our great depression and what life was like in the West at that time period.
Driftersifter

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-11 AT 07:18AM (MST)[p]For those who enjoy FICTION, take a peek at the books by C.J. Box (http://www.cjbox.net/). His Joe Pickett series is about a WY game warden in the Bighorn Mts. who is bit out of the ordinary in that he does a lot of detective-like work, with most of it involving murders. In other words, they are mostly murder mysteries. His sidekick is a hippie-type loner with a hobby of falconry and a deep love for his .44 mag pistol, which often eliminates a problem situation.

Box does very well with his research for the most part. I've read all of the books and noticed only one factual error where a poacher supposedly killed a trophy 6x6 bull in JULY and had it back from the taxidermist in Sept.

BUT..like other series novels, the Pickett tales tend to build off the previous ones for story and character development, so it is probably best to read them in order. Below is the list by publication year, earliest at the top:

Open Season Jul-2001
Savage Run May-2002
Winterkill May-2003
Trophy Hunt Jun-2004
Out of Range May-2005
In Plain Sight May-2006
Free Fire May-2007
Blue Heaven Jan-2008
Blood Trail May-2008
Three Weeks to Say Goodbye Jan-2009(not Joe Pickett but good read)
Below Zero Jun-2009
Nowhere to Run Apr-2010
Cold Wind Apr-2011 future
Back of Beyond Aug-2011 future

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-11 AT 07:11AM (MST)[p]I read a lot, everything i can get my hands on, but recently came across W.E.B. Griffin's stuff. The guy can tell a story with the best of them. So far i've read his "Brotherhood of War" series and i couldn't hardly put the books down until i had them finished. I'm now in the second book of "Presidential Agent" series. So far, also great reading.

The guy obviously knows what he's writing about, Military-Secret Service stories mostly, which is a bit refreshing after reading these guys who just crank them out in a hurry for money based on their famous name or a past success or two.

W.E.B. Griffin, try him!

Joey

>Vince Flynn! Vince Flynn!
>Vince Flynn! A friend
>of mine introduced them to
>me and I am hooked.
> It's a 10 or
>11 book series and they
>are awesome to read.

+1 on Vince Flynn - I have read all of his books, always entertaining and you gotta like his Mitch Rapp character.

I also read several of the WEB Griffin series books, the Presidential agent series been my favorite.

Another favorite of mine is Micheal Connelly and his LAPD detective series with Harry Bosch... Good stuff

CRAIG JOHNSON,he lives in ucross wyoming and writes mystery thrillers based in the big horns.i read alot because all the garbage on t.v.his books are awesome reads like modern day western.all his books are centered around walt longmire a wyoming sheriff.they can be found at all the major book stores.if you like cj box youll love these books.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-11 AT 09:00AM (MST)[p]I received a 'Kindle Book' for Christmas 2009 and it is the coolest thing.

An "expensive" book from the Amazon library is $9.00 and there are a million of them that are free!

I keep it in a tackle folder for bass lures and thus can take it anywhere.

You have access to the Amazon library and can get a new book on the thing in seconds. I have 80 books in my 'library'.

I don't even know all the other functions of this thing, but it is seriously connected to the Web, your email, etc.

About $159.00..........

Larry McMurtry, who wrote "Lonesome Dove", has many other books in the same genre. The other 3 books that deal with Call and Gus are excellent.

Some great books mentioned.

Could I recomend the Patrick Obrian Series starting with "Master and Commander"

Or the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell

I listen to audio books when I am alone and traveling. Much better than the same old music, talk radio, etc.

Have been able to listen to a ton of books that I have always wanted to read.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-11 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]Currently I am reading the following:

El general en su laberinto by Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez
Paradiso by Jos? Lezama Lima
Literatura Puertorrique?a Negra del Siglo XIX Escrita por Negros - ed. Roberto Ramos-Perea

And - that is just for a couple of projects I am working on. For fun I recently read:

The Poacher's Son (The first of the Mike Bowditch Mysteries) by Paul Doiron

and The Tin Roof Blowdown (A Dave Robicheaux Novel) by James Lee Burke

The first three I would never expect anybody besides me and a few other people who study the same things I do to ever read, but the last two are actually good reads. Took me a couple of days to read them both over New Year's. James Lee Burke is one of my favorite authors. He writes formula stories much like Louis L'Amour but fills them with rich characters and lots of action and beautiful scenery. The Dave Robicheaux novels are set in Louisianna, mainly in Iberia Parish but also in New Orleans. The Tin Roof Blowdown takes place in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and though it could be argued that at times Burke purports a very liberal ideology, it is nonetheless a truthful account of the tragic occurrences in that area during that time periof from someone who actually lived through it. A good murder mystery. The Doiron book is kind of in the same vein, but it is the first in the series so I don't know how formulaic the rest of the novels will be, but I am definitely intrigued and will definitely be looking for the follow up. This book tells the story of a new Maine State Game Warden who happens to be the son of a poacher. It is also a murder mystery and I really enjoyed it. These were the first couple of books that I have read in English in a while and not had to feel that I shouldn't really be spending my time reading them so I enjoyed them thoroughly.

And if you do want to know more about the first three, I would be happy to discuss them as well.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Lonesome Dove is pretty much the best book of all time. The other books in the series are good too, but not like L.D.

Glass Castle is excellent too. It reminded me a little bit of the Grapes of Wrath which is also one of my favorites.

If dont mind reading long books, Texas, Alaska and Centennial by James Michener are good historical fictions.

Pillars of the Earth is another great fiction by Ken Follett.

Im in the middle of the Stieg Larsson series right now and am enjoying it.

If any of you are on Goodreads, drop me a PM so we can hook up.

the first book by craig johnson is cold dish and then leads to other book in order.you can google craig johnson author and his web site will appear.you won't be dissappointed.

Some of you guys really get into it.

I just read junk like the new Tom Clancy "Dead or Alive". Some classic Clancy special ops action right from the get go.

Cheers,
Pete

Monster Hunter International &
Monster Hunter Vendetta

By Larry Correia

You can read the first 7 chapters of MHI here for free. Larry is a Utah resident, firearms instructor, and awesome author. His books are filled with guns and action, and the firearms details are second to none.

Point of Impact
By Stephen Hunter

Awesome book about Sniper Bob Lee Swagger, made into the movie Shooter. Action-packed and awesome read.

a good fiction read is the "Conqueror Serious" by Conn Iggulden About Ghengis Khan while reading i even started researching his life to check facts and the books are pretty true for all the major events. For what the Mongols did in Ghengis's life they were definitly the most succesful conquerors ever.
I read all 4 of the books since christmas on the Barnes and Noble Nook my wife got me. Its a cheap way to by books anytime anywhere.

Undaunted Courage by Stephen E Ambrose, its about the Lewis and Clark expedition. He also wrote D Day the book used as referance for the movie, Saving Private Ryan. Both books are excellant reads.

Great question, I'm going to read some of those that have been referred. Thanks.

A few I might suggest, if you like history.

John Alton Peterson, "Utah's Black Hawk War" is a powerful read on a little known period in Utah's past.

Dale L. Morgan," Jedediah Smith, and the Opening of the West" another great read on the early history of modern American West.

I wanted to research what kind of thinking was going on in American's minds in the 20/30 years before 1776, that brought about the revolutionary war. I found a comprehensive history in Robert Middlefauff's "The Glorious Cause", that I'm currently reading.

I don't much like novels because I've found history is far more interesting and inspiring, I've found real life experiences are far more amazing than anything anyone can make-up but about anything that James Michener wrote is fantastic. My favorite is "Alaska". Reading Alaska motivated me to read two non-fiction books by Ella Lung Martinsen "Trail to North Star Gold", and "Black Sand and Gold": A True Story of The Alaska-Klondike Gold Rush or the True Alaska-Yukon Gold-Rush.

I'm a Stephen Ambrose fan too, his stuff is almost history. To add to the list from him, after reading "Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad, 1863-1869", his book on the building of the railroad across the Sierra Nevada mountains, I will ride the train from Sacramento to Ogden so I can see their work first hand, asap.

Once you finish these, we'll give you a few hundred more on amazing people and the amazing lives they've lived.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11 AT 06:51AM (MST)[p]Another of my favorite fiction writers is John McDonald. Several of his books have become movies. One many of you might have seen is Cape Fear, which was based on the book, The Executioners. It was first done in 1962 with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum, and a remake, starring Robert DeNiro, was filmed in 1991.

My favorite McDonald books are those in the Travis McGee series.

Travis McGee, the "salvage consultant" and "knight in rusting armor," was all of that. McGee made his living by recovering the loot from thefts and swindles, keeping half to finance his "retirement," which he took in pieces as he went along. He first appeared in the 1964 novel The Deep Blue Good-by and was last seen in The Lonely Silver Rain in 1985. All titles in the 21-volume series include a color, a mnemonic device which was suggested by his publisher so that when harried travelers looked to buy a book they could at once see those MacDonald titles they had not read.

The McGee novels feature an ever-changing array of female companions, some particularly nasty villains, exotic locales in Florida, Mexico, and the Caribbean, and appearances by a sidekick known only as "Meyer," a retired economist. As Sherlock Holmes had his well-known address on Baker Street, McGee had his trademark lodgings on his 52-foot houseboat, the Busted Flush, named for the poker hand that started the run of luck in which he won her. She is docked at Slip F-18, Bahia Mar marina, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

McGee also drives a homemade pickup truck that was originally a Rolls Royce.

More on McGee:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_McGee

Again, the books should be read in order of publication. Here's the list of Travis McGee novels in chronological order:

*Note: each one has a color in its title.

(1964) The Deep Blue Good-by
(1964) Nightmare in Pink
(1964) A Purple Place for Dying
(1964) The Quick Red Fox
(1965) A Deadly Shade of Gold
(1965) Bright Orange for the Shroud
(1966) Darker than Amber
(1966) One Fearful Yellow Eye
(1968) Pale Gray for Guilt
(1968) The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper
(1969) Dress Her in Indigo
(1970) The Long Lavender Look
(1972) A Tan and Sandy Silence
(1973) The Scarlet Ruse
(1973) The Turquoise Lament
(1975) The Dreadful Lemon Sky
(1978) The Empty Copper Sea
(1979) The Green Ripper
(1981) Free Fall in Crimson
(1982) Cinnamon Skin
(1985) The Lonely Silver Rain

Brief synopsis of each title:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rufener/books.html

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Joey,

You need to get the W.E.B. Griffins series, "The Corps", I liked it better than the Brotherhood of War series.

My last book that I read was bought online at Amazon.

Might not be the one for everyone but if you were in the service in Vietnam then it would be interesting as to what really was going on over there.

THE KHAKI MAFIA

I knew a few of the ones mentioned in the book although the names were changed to "protect the INNOCENT" lol

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 07:00PM (MST)[p]>>>>i also love anything by patrick f mcmanus.<<<<

how is rancid crabtree? and we must not forget rancid crabtree :)

grrr whoops meant to say retch sweeney lol

Anything by Tom Clancy, his best is Red Storm Rising, his worse is The Teeth of the Tiger with maybe Red Rabbit tying the bad category.

Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt Novels are pretty good.

David Baldacci has some good ones as well. I was introduced to his books while on Deployment in Kuwait, by one of my team leaders and have been reading all of his stuff since. The Camel Club novels are realy good.

Brad Thor has a few good ones as well.

Whoever brought up W.E.B. Griffin really hit the nail on the head, his Presidential Agent novels are hard to put down.

Just got done reading the book "Last of the Brown Bear Men". True store about the fathers of guiding for Brown bear on Kodiak island. Unbelievable stories and first hand accounts of living on that island in the late 40's throught he late 70's. I would recommend this to anyone. Awesome read.

Another book I read is "Lone Survivor". Also a true store about a Navy Seal and his team and his story of survival. It is one of the best books I have ever read. Amazing book.

another + for CJ BOX. I've enjoyed reading those books.

Outdoor Writer
Nate shoots a .454 Casull I believe.
When I first started reading these books I hated the fact that I regarded myself as smarter or better with weapons and animals but as I've continued to read I've come to appreciate the "regular" guy and not someone that has all the answers all the time. CJ BOX did a good job.

>
>Another book I read is "Lone
>Survivor". Also a true
>store about a Navy Seal
>and his team and his
>story of survival. It
>is one of the best
>books I have ever read.
> Amazing book.

I read this book myself and totally loved it. There is one thing that made me raise an eyebrow though. He talks about how many times he fell down a cliff while losing his rifle only to find that his rifle ended up right next to him. Not only is that miraculous, but to think that the scope was still shooting straight after all those tumbles is really quite a miracle. Pretty amazing story, but I gotta wonder about some of those specifics. Did you wonder about that at all while you read it?

Yeah I did wonder at times. Many times I caught myself thinking "how much can he actually tell us". As far as how much is or was he willing to tell us without getting into trouble with the government. It was a covert ops mission, so I am sure we got the bread and butter version. Even though the bread and butter version was really good.

Question: Would you have shot the sheep herder or let him go? I kept going back to that situation many times in my head. I would like to say I would have killed him, but I knew the the outcome of the situation. That would have been a tuff situation to be in.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom