Good Rangefinder's to look at

tyef350

Ok guys thinking of buying a rangefinder what are you guys happy with? I don't want to spend a ton of cash on one. I hunt with a rifle just looking for something that works good for the money. Thanks guys

Depends on what you are using it for. The Leica's are hard to beat for the money. I use that for most things but also use a Bushnell for archery that compensates for angle.

DTfaM.gif

I would like to get one that adjust's for angle's. I would like to keep the cost down so the wife does not kill me i have spent a few $$$$$$$ this year on new or updated gear.

Nikon 1000 is great. Love the angle trajectory compensation. I am somewhat colorblind and the numbers in a Leica don't show up for me. Highly recommend the Nikon but you cannot go wrong with a Leica either.

I have never looked thru a leica but i do understand that they are excellent. That said, my nikon 800 is a tried and true pretty decent unit...especially for the money. I would recommend one if you can't see spending Leica kinda coin.

Whatever you do, get a rangefinder and work with it in relation to your shooting practice out to the distances you feel, or will find, that you can shoot accurately.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I bought the Nikon Laser 800 camo rangefinder a few years ago from Sportsmans warehouse. It has never done me wrong and ranges out to 800 yards. I don't know if it has angle compensation but it has been dead on when ranging for the shots I've taken. (Mainly spot and stalk) I think I spent 399 for the camo version. Black was 350

I'm sure the Leica is awesome as well but it's a bit more money than what I was allowed to spend. (the wife).

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Bushnell Legend 1200 ARC

This has been a great rangefinder, it consistently gives ranges out to 1200 yds and it has even hit trees out to 1400+. It has a inclinometer, bow mode, rifle mode (calculates bullet drop and hold over in inches or MOA), and is very small and lightweight. I tested it against my dad's Leica 1200 and I was very impressed with the Bushnell. I picked up a brand new one for around $350 and haven't looked back.

I love my Leica CRF 1200. I bought it to replace my CRF 900 that was stolen. I also have a Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000. It is a nice piece too. If you're looking to save some money, I'd cut you a good deal on the Nikon. It's like new. I've only taken it out a couple of times to the range. Never hunted with it. I've been meaning to put it in the classifieds, just havn't got around to it yet.

Don P

I just picked up a Leupold RXi 1000 with TBR and love it. I searched online and found it for 350. It has a red led readout and has settings for bow and rifle hunters. Compensates for angles as well. Also, it calculates holdover in inches, adjustments in mils or moa. Im stoked to take it hunting this year. Out of the box, I ranged a small house at 937 and trees out past 715 yards.

It is a known that Color blindness affects a significant percentage of the male population. That said, be careful of glass that utilizes the red LED readout if you are even partially colorblind.

I am more so than most but found some red readouts totally useless when looking at a medium base background. I have no problems at all with a black readout. just saying...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

If you are colorblind, definitely don't try a rangefinder with a red led... I've had the standard black readout and didn't have too many problems with it at all. For the OP, I'd take a stroll into sportsmans warehouse or cabelas and try some out and see what you end up liking the most.

>I love my Leica CRF 1200.
>I bought it to replace
>my CRF 900 that was
>stolen. I also have a
>Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000. It
>is a nice piece too.
>If you're looking to save
>some money, I'd cut you
>a good deal on the
>Nikon. It's like new. I've
>only taken it out a
>couple of times to the
>range. Never hunted with it.
>I've been meaning to put
>it in the classifieds, just
>havn't got around to it
>yet.
>

What state are you from? Pm me if you want.
>Don P

Check out the bushnell g-force 1300. I just got one a few weeks ago and it is pretty awesome. I got it through SWFA after they did the 10% more price match with opticsdome.com price it cost me less than $320. It has the ARC and I have already ranged over 1100 yds a couple times. Very compact and quick readings. Overall I think this is by far the best rangefinder out there right now under $600.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-12 AT 09:04AM (MST)[p]I have had a bushnell. I will never own one again. I have used a nikon. It was ok. Far and away my leica is the best. They have been great since they came out. More often than not you get what you pay for!

Palehorse....what went wrong with the bushnell? I have never had any problems with mine. Matter of fact I just bought the new Gforce 1300.

Now that this thread has wound down a bit, let me ask a question related.

As i said above, as it happens, i have never looked thru a leica rangefinder. I did look thru my friends leica Geo Rangefinder Bino's and liked the glass but could not even see the distance readout unless looking at a very light background. Colorblind remember? So my question is, do the leica rangefinders all or mostly all have the same type of red LED readout? Thanks!

PS. I bought a early set of Leupold Rangefinding Bino's quite a few years ago. They also had the Red readout and they were unusable for me, i had to return them.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-12 AT 03:32PM (MST)[p]Horn,

I owned one pair and used another bushnell. The optics quickly got darker and darker! The rangefinder struggled to get a reading unless you were very still and pointed it at just the right thing. Under 200 yards they were a bit better but not much.They also fogged very quickly. I have had missed opportunities because I was screwing with the range finder! Not anymore!

My bud has a Leica 1200 CRF, I have a Nikon Monarch Gold 1200. Side by side they are about the same as far as ranging. Leica a bit better as far as optics maybe. Mine cost half as much. As expensive as the Leica is, I'm really not that impressed. Guess that's why I don't have one. mtmuley

Ill rock the boat and say I have a love/hate realationship with my Leica. Just like everything out there, the better the quality the more the retail. I have found the Leica works great 90-95% of the time. Get some snow or rain in the air and at times wont read where like my fathers Swaro will work 99% of the time. The Swaro is a step better IMO. I recently went to the Leopold rangefinder and like that better than my Leica, but not as well as the Swaro. Just my 2 cents.

I just sent my leica back. I abused it accidently got water in it. They replied not repairable, & offered a crf 1000 for $350. I will be buying a leupold, made in the usa & a warranty that you can not beat.

These new rangefinders with the angle compensation and bullet drop calculations are neat and stuff, but I would highly suggest shooting your gun and figuring out where it shoots as opposed to trusting the rangefinder. I use one, but only to measure distance. The rest I've checked out on paper. mtmuley

>These new rangefinders with the angle
>compensation and bullet drop calculations
>are neat and stuff, but
>I would highly suggest shooting
>your gun and figuring out
>where it shoots as opposed
>to trusting the rangefinder. I
>use one, but only to
>measure distance. The rest I've
>checked out on paper. mtmuley
>

Definitely good advice there. The RF's with compensation for rifles are based off of general cartridge data so there may be errors... I think it's pretty neat and would be a blast for long range target shooting, but a hunter should know how his/her rifle performs at certain ranges. The same goes for the scopes with BDC reticles- general idea, but practice, practice, and more practice should be used to know exactly where your rifle hits.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom