Good sign

Wyo_Roadhunter

Yesterday we was able to get the 3rd muley for the season and I can't believe the size of the bodies these bucks have had this year! Not sure if this just means they are healthy or if winter is going to hit hard. Either way I've never seen fat on deer like these besides on late hunts. The pictures are of my buck and I wish I would have taken a picture of the tape before I caped him but to me his ears and head seemed huge so I decided to measure and with his ears laid flat out they was 27" wide! I know they don't lay them all the way flat but I thought it was pretty interesting! I usually reference their ears to be 23".

20221003_194914.jpg

20221003_221432.jpg

Last edited:
Both our bucks this year were super fat. Mine had 26 and 1/2 inche ears flat. Huge body and loads of fat. They were low country sage bucks… which usually are not nearly as big and heavy…

Out of curiosity... Was you buck harvested in a an area where they recently pulled wild horses? You can answer in a PM if you like. I hunt in some HMA areas at different times and I feel like the shift in horse numbers has really improved the range conditions, and the end result has been better feed for all animals... ELk, Lopes and Deer... Of course there were also some really good water conditions this spring etc. But I would love to see a study to see how much of an impact a decrease in horses had on body condition and health of the wildlife...

Out of curiosity... Was you buck harvested in a an area where they recently pulled wild horses? You can answer in a PM if you like. I hunt in some HMA areas at different times and I feel like the shift in horse numbers has really improved the range conditions, and the end result has been better feed for all animals... ELk, Lopes and Deer... Of course there were also some really good water conditions this spring etc. But I would love to see a study to see how much of an impact a decrease in horses had on body condition and health of the wildlife...
There isn't any wild horses in this area but I agree 100% that there needs to be less wild horses! I've even noticed everywhere I used to put trail cams on water where livestock didn't used to go and now do there is hardly any deer or elk using that water.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom