good unit?

H

hookncook

I am wanting to put in for an archery elk tag for NM but I don't know what unit(s) to pursue. Could someone give me some information on what units are the best and how long it usually takes to draw. I would greatly appreciate it

Are you looking for a hunt where you can find lots of elk or hunting for monster bulls? Would you shoot a cow or spike , younger bull? Theres a bunch of great units that are here for every type elk hunter. I have friends who persue big bulls and others that don't. I myself have shot more cows with my bow and probably will forever, as well I usually put in for units where 360+ is going to be extremely hard as most big bulls in my units of choice are more around the 300-320 area.But yeah I'd help line you out...

What do you mean by good? Do you want to go to a unit that has a lot of elk but smaller bulls in general or large bulls? It is no secret that any of the sub units of 16 have the largest bulls on average in New Mexico. If you want quantity unit 9 is a sure bet although the bulls are smaller. It will take a while to draw a unit 16 tag, but you never know, you may get lucky. You can draw unit 9 a lot easier. The northern units have a lot of elk too, but again are smaller on average, granted some very nice bulls come out from up north every year.

I am after decent bulls. I am in colorado and have killed alot of cows. Any bull that is over 300 with a bow, i consider a trophy.350 would be outstanding to me. I would just like to know some decent units that i could put in for and how long you might think it would take to draw.

Thanks for the help by the way.

And I consider any elk with a bow a trophy....But I also hear what your saying, if I could just get one of those big bulls to just stand still long enough ...oh yeah gotta find one first lol....Unit 9 has smoker -mammoth bulls! My hunting partners brother killed a bull that is 380+ this year on the bow hunt. Unit 9 is finally coming back and that unit grows elk as big as they can get , heavy wise....

That is a big bull for anywhere much less unit 9!!!! I hunted it hard for about five years in a row back in the 90's and the best bull I ever saw would go about 350". It's good to hear that the size of the bulls is getting better for unit 9. Maybe some of those Acoma bulls are jumping the fence and mixing it up with the bull on Taylor.

4774144f632a8b1d.jpg

47741463638c0d2f.jpg

here is nmhunt's friend's bull....awesome bull..congrats to him!!!

vinihunt

Just want to make sure this is a NM unit 9 bull, not a AZ unit 9 bull? That is a flipin PIG!!!! Hell I might just have to start to put in for Taylor again, although I never really hunted the actual mountain when I did hunt unit 9.

I would agree. NM has some of the best hunting for elk bar none. AZ has bigger bulls, but you only get to hunt every 10 years. In NM you can draw a tag at least every 2 to 3 years and have a good shot at a 350" bull. Colorado has a ton of elk, but in general they are smaller and I think they actual have less on a per sq. mile basis (at least it seems that way). don't know about Utah, but I think it is a hard draw too.

I don't really care for unit 2 for elk bow hunts. It's starting to get more elk in there but still not the better unit for elk. It's top notch for deer but theres too many better units in my opinion.Theres guys who love it though....

RRSNAKE, he wasn't killed up on Taylor. The country doesn't even really look like that up there , he is a unit 9 NM bull though.Everybody just drives right on by .....This area is great for the late season cow hunts as well. Any how this was NOT the big bull of the bunch , but he was killed during the muzzleloader hunt. I don't have the picture of him but am trying to get them too.Unit 9 has jumped right back into contention for big bull country with 15,16 and 13.Unit 17 is a sleeper and 34 , well that country produces some mammoth bulls every year too.There was 390 bull killed in unit 10 as well and I do have that picture but again don't know how to post em, have to get it over to Vini...

I used to love to hunt unit 9. I never went up on the mountain either. I am guessing we hunt the same area. Where I used to hunt you can shoot at elk and praire dogs at the same time. I am guessing you can do the same. I took a 320" bull in 17 back in 2001. That is a very good area, but it is just about as hard to draw as the 16's. Out of the areas you named I have hunted them all with the exception of 34. All hold good bulls. My pick for big bulls is one of the 16's. Quanity I like unit 9. If 9 is starting to produce larger bulls that is great! Well I am off to try and pop some yotes this weekend and deer next.

NM drawing is amazing. We do have the most elk here in colorado by far buy not the quality of bulls as everywhere else. Every once in a while you can find a toad. My hunting partner got a 386 bull last year in 62 but all in all, normally 280-300.
So in everyones opinion, is 9 the best area for me to put in for to go after a good bull for archery. and 9 is in about the middle of the state, correct?

Unit 9 has lots of elk, but in my opinion if you are after a 330-350+ bull put in for one of the 16's. You will have better luck at a big boy in 16, granted a toad can come out of unit 9. If you need more confirmation call the NM Game and Fish. I know a lot of guys that hunt unit 9 here at work and the avg. size of bull is similar to what you would get in Colorado.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-07 AT 02:37PM (MST)[p]I hunted 9 this past archery season. I was there the week of September 15th. Our hunt was tough - warm weather and the elk were still up high. You can't base much on this though because it was my first time there. But, there was that toad killed there the same days that I was there too. The bulls weren't too hot on bugling just yet either the week I was there. I think I was about a week early to hit the rut. All the folks I spoke with while I was there were having a tough time locating elk as well. Here are some pictures of my NM unit 9 hunt this past September. We had a great time on our hunt; although, unsuccessful.

From FS239
47756a8e7abbdae9.jpg

Rain Moving In...
47756acc7b93a9f1.jpg

My Dad sitting at our camp
47756af20a327e41.jpg

Me looking down towards the town of San Mateo
47756b1c0a9b2bf1.jpg

View from FS239
47756bea0e3100ab.jpg

how does hunting code ELK-2-236 sound. That is for unit 16A. Any good? If not, any other recomendations?

Thats the tag I had. I went the last week of that season. I think if the weather cooperates (a little cool weather), the last week should be the rut.

jamaro , your words are pretty much right on, although the northeastern side up towards Raton has seems to be producing quit a few 350+ plus bulls....

You can draw the very best tag in NM your first year, but it is unlikely. Any good rifle tag has odds of under 3%, god bow and your very odds may double. Best rifle tags have odds way under 1%, you can put you, your dad and your brother in separatly for the rest of your life and it is unlikely anyone will ever draw.

Any unit with odds over 10% is not a great unit.

Don...
Good Point... When you are putting in for unit put in for quality hunts.... and IMO don't fill out the ANY TAG area.. I have known quite a few people that burned by putting in for these areas... Sure there might be a few elk in those units but the hunting is hard and if you are a NR Expensive.

j-
www.thenewmexicosportsman.com

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom