Got a couple questions

C

c86man3

I have a general bull tag, and where I am planning on hunting is pretty far back. Depending on just how far back I am, I will either be quartering the elk or totally deboning it to hoof it out. I read in the regs that you must leave the tag with the biggest proportion of meat. So what exactly does that mean? If I debone the elk, I leave the tag with the carcass until whichever trip causes me to have more meat in the coolers in the truck than on the carcass? Seems kinda silly.

Second Question:
The regs say proof of sex must remain attached to the biggest piece of meat. So do I need to take out a whole back quarter with the genitals attached? What if I want to cut that meat (the back legs) up to pack out more manageable loads. Obviously I'm not leaving the head attached to the biggest piece of meat.

Third Question: Does anybody know how to get the tenderloins off an animal using the gutless method? I know how to do the backstraps and all legs but have not figured out the tenderloins. A link to a video would be nice.

Fourth Question:
Between my three hunts I have this year, hopefully I'll have at least one animal I want to get a Euro mount (I'm a poor college student), anybody recommend a good taxidermist in Logan?

>Fourth Question:
>Between my three hunts I have
>this year, hopefully I'll have
>at least one animal I
>want to get a Euro
>mount (I'm a poor college
>student), anybody recommend a good
>taxidermist in Logan?

Randy Stoker, Full Curl Taxidermy

LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-11 AT 10:57AM (MST)[p]I've always cut the tag and kept it in my pocket. I've talked to officers on 2 different occasions and no problems either time. They wouldn't help me pack it out though.... A holes.. Lol.

Just gut it, its easier in the end and your gonna be dirty by the time its over anyways... IMO not gutting doesn't save any time at all...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Don't gut it. it is much easier doing the gutless method. Just cut along the backbone behind they ribs and you should be able to find them pretty easy.

Good luck on the hunt! Keep the tag with you, you don't want to run into a ranger with meat or head and not have a proper filled tag. Going with
either method, you will detach the head which requires you to leave the nuts attached to meat for evidence of sex. There is mo easy way to get the tender loins without gutting the animal. The best way however is through the back under the straps. Get to the last rib and cut in there, be careful not to punch the guts,ove the inards the best you can and cut them out. Good luck!!!

Ps. I wouldn't gut it either!!! It does save time and effort if you do it right. I would also debone on the spot, you end up with more meat with a lot less effort. And a lot less chance of meat spoiling. Get it cooled quick though, hang it up in a tree if you don't get it out in the first trip, it will help.

Thanks for all the responses. I do plan on using the gutless method for sure. I can get the legs off and the backstraps off in 20-30 minutes. I've just never been able to get the tenderloins off without gutting. I'll see if I can figure out how to do it (well, hopefully I'll get to try).

I scouted this morning and they were bugling where I'm planning on hunting. Hopefully they are still bugling in a week.

C86, I will try to video for you next time I do it, but I'll try to explain it here.

The tenderloins are the last part I take, mostly because they are very easy to get to once you removed the backstraps and the hindquarters. I remove the hinds by boning them to the pelvis and through the hip joint all the way to the spine. (gutless method)

You should easily see the tenderloins against the spine, beginning in front of the pelvis. The trick is keeping the belly out of the way, but I do it just as if I was gutting, ie, pushing down on it with one hand and working my knife around the loin next to the spine. Works even better if you have a partner to pull up on the ribcage while you push on the stomach.

It usually pulls out fairly easily once you get it going.

If we get a cow next weekend, I'll be sure to take some pics for you.

Pred

Just used the gutless method yesterday. By far the easiest quartering job I have ever done. Once the hind quarter and back strap is removed the tender loin is easy to find, just inside the cavity behind the last rib. Removal is easy just watch out for the guts, like others have said.

Good luck on your hunt. I hope to be using the gutless method on my own elk next week also.

"You should easily see the tenderloins against the spine, beginning in front of the pelvis. The trick is keeping the belly out of the way, but I do it just as if I was gutting, ie, pushing down on it with one hand and working my knife around the loin next to the spine. "

Agreed. I've also been known, if the animal is starting to bloat up, to stick a knife in the centerline of the gut and let the air out. Then the gut sack pushes down easy.

Also if your deep in the backcountry and you choose to bone your elk out. You might want to pick up some of those Alaska Game Bags that hold elk quarters. They work great for carrying out boned out meat.

))))------->

a nice cheap pillowcase works fine, with some string to tie off the top.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I have been told a pillow case or sheet will not breath enough to allow the meet to cool? No first hand knowledge just what I have been told.

+1 on the Alaskan game bags, we've dragged meat in them, lasted several seasons and they weigh a whole lot less than the canvas quarter bags!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom