Governors tag for deer in Colorado, any suggestions where to go?

M

mabundis

Some how I got really lucky and won this tag. It allows me to hunt from Aug. 27 till Dec. 31 in any Unit in Colorado that I want. I was thinking unit 61 or 21 4th season? Any recommendations to find that once in a lifetime buck?

Thanks in advanced

Unless you have time to hunt for 2 months or so hire a well known guide to help you. That is a once in a lifetime tag and you don't want to waste it by just hunting one or two units for one season. Spend the money and get some help.

Man I hate you right now!!! You need to understand that you don't have to hunt any specific season you can hunt whenever you want, any weapon you want anytime form the start of archery season until January 31st. I would get the word out and start letting people know you have the tag. Hiring an outfitter could be a good option for you, but you might get the satisfaction of doing it yourself being you have nearly 4 months to figure it out. The last years gov tag buck game out of the gunnison basin in area 54 and the previous year came out of area 43 just outside of Glenwood Springs were I live. If you are interested in hunting the gunnison basin area where last years deer was taken I currently work for Tenderfoot Outfitters (tenderfoot-outfitters.com) and we have lease on both public and private land in area 54 and I would to help you take a buck of a lifetime.
Coloradoboy

I would give 21 a hard look the last 2 weeks of November and as said before December may be even better. The nice thing about 21 is that 10 is just across the river also known for some good bucks.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com

Giving unit 21 some serious consideration and your right about taking a peek at unit a 10 since it's right there. I talked to two different outfitters and they mentioned that the 08' winter kill was really tough and that the 30 inch plus bucks are much harder to find in unit 10. Both of these guys stated that I was better off in unit 21. The CO wildlife Rep. that called me about my tag suggested unit 54-55 and 44. I was looking at the hardest unit to draw for and it still looks like unit 21 and 61. I can only take two weeks off of work to make my dream hunt happen. Tks for the help!

I saw a 190s buck come out of 1 of those units last year that would have been hard for someone to pass up even if they had a self-imposed 210" minimum.. that buck has phenominal mass and carried it from its bases to the tips of its kickers.

WOW!!! you must be living right. I would do your home work and plan on hunting sometime after November 10th.

Colorado anywhere in he rut after everyone else is done and home, what a dream come true. Get the information out as stated before that you have this tag and check with some of the guides.

You have a great hunt to look forward to!!! Can't wait to see the photo's of your trohpy.

Mabundis, your 2 weeks need to be 11-26-11 to 12-09-11, as stated before your raffle tag
Is a great gift best hunt of a life time? Enjoy!

Coloradoboy. Did one or both 2010 RAFFLE tags die in 54?
I know both auction tags were killed in two other units not 54.
What's up?

Yes, But cant share. Hoping someone else can?
You would think CMDA and MDF who sold them could
use them to addvertise. Same with last years raffle
Bucks? I would like to know some thing about the 2010
raffle bucks I have heard nothing.

Horns are now getting some good mass.unit 61 holds some good promise.Are you looking for a total hunt? or someone to find it and tie it up for you? What kind of experience do you wish for? To me the hunt is as exciting as the size of the kill.

I agree about the hunt, but I really want to get a buck in the 200 class this year. This maybe the only chance I get untill I draw a good tag in 10 more years.

That was supposed to be my tag!!! LOL Good for you. What a great tag to have. Good times ahead.

Two years ago a friend of mine drew that tag. I helped him for 5 days in unit 21......I think that unit sucks! That's just my opinion. He spent more than 25 days there himself and also had friends looking. I'm not a fan of 21 or of waiting until December to do most of your hunting.

I believe that more than half of the big bucks are dead each year before late November rolls around. So, if you wait that long then you're limiting yourself some.

Also, unless you are willing to pay, finding a giant is hard. There just aren't that many around. Expect calls from people all year offering help. Some will know where a big buck is, but most will want a pretty penny to give it up. Remember too, most are wild goose chases. Don't get roped into chasing down all the "biggest deer I've ever seen" stories. There are lots of them.

Pick a unit or two and go hunting. If two weeks is all you have, then maybe hunt some place early for a week and do a late-season hunt too. I love hunting in the snow, but again, many of the bucks are dead by then, unless you're hunting a spot where the deer venture off private ground late in the year.

I had a good time helping my buddy a couple years ago, but I sure would have rather been in areas I had more confidence in. But, I was just along to help someone who had done so much for me. A great guy.

Anyway, good luck on your hunts. If you want help, shoot me an email and maybe if everything lines up I can tag along and do a podcast.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Agreed Founder,
Not alot of true giants in 21 it seems. Had the tag a few years back now and it was a chore just to find a deer in the 170 plus range. The 09 Gov buck was taken just outside my home town in area 43 and last years came out of the Gunnison Basin. Its really anyones guess as to where the biggest and baddest buck is going to come out of and it seems no unit produces these bucks year and year out. Its just Sh#t luck as far as running into one. The best bet is hunt a LE unit and spend as much time possible looking. Don't count out Eastern Colorado...
Coloradoboy

Like others, you need to plan on harvesting your buck early! With so many road closures later on, the early season might be best. Pm me if you need more info.

What are your real objectives? Will you pay- either a finder's fee or guide? Do you want (and WILL NOT shoot) anything less than xyz net typ or xyz gross non-typ? Why would anyone in their right mind hunt in a season when the next day they have it to themselves? One week after 4th closes bucks come out of the woodwork that seemingly were not there just the week before. Your season starts the day after 4th ends if it were me. (assuming you can't hunt from 9-1 till 12-31!) If you saw this buck on 11-20 (with a month to go ) would you shoot or not?
DSC00522.jpg

Remember all that really matters is you have fun and satisfy yourself that you did what you want as opposed to what others tell you to do. There are lots of big deer choose wisely. If you are lucky you'll get a choice like this.
K1900C2619_1000976.jpg

With your tag you may get this choice or even better if you put in the effort. Good luck.

I would be happy with either one of those non-typical monsters! If someone wanted a finders fee, I would gladly take the money off my credit card for a once in a lifetime shot at a deer like that. Really trying to find a non-typical 34 inch+ buck. Thanks for the great pic's and info! PM me please if you know of anything...

Tks

Nate good to hear from ya. Yes that is the 2010 auction
deer. He is something. There are so many fish in the creek they are slowing the stream flow when are you coming over?

Can you hunt any unit on August 27th? I think I would hunt a timberline area that did not have an early rifle season for a week then come back and hunt late in early December for a week. Sounds like fun.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom