GPS for Christmas ??'s

spotnstalkID

I am looking at possibly getting my dad a GPS for Christmas this year. He mentioned he would like to get one but knows nothing about them and he asked me if I did. I have a GPS that is alot more than what he wants for himself. He is just looking for something pretty basic, easy to use more than anything, and will simply get him from point "A" to point "B". The only GPS I have any experience with is mine which is a Garmin 76S (and I have yet to figure it out 100%) so I was wondering what some of your guys' thoughts are on the ones you have used. I have looked at some of the other Garmin models and a couple of the Magellan models.

Any thoughts (pros/cons) you would like to share about brands/models you have used would be appreciated. I am just getting started in looking for one and wondering what you guys think of the ones you have used and whether it was worth its money or not.

Thanks in advance.
Jaxon

I would get him at least a Garmin legend. You can download topo maps on them which shows roads, ponds, ect.

I know you said a basic one but after a using one for a while it does not take long to learn. There is so much more you can do with one that has the topo maps downloaded on to it. I have guided several people over the past 3 years. After they seen what I can do with my GPS - Garmin Vista. They go buy one that is similar - Vista - Legend. Small - affordable and that you can download topo's on.

30incher,

Thanks bud, that is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. I'm not trying to be cheap at all by saying "just a basic GPS", he just wont use many of the features even if he had them. I think with as much as he'll use it, etc. he just needs something that is EASY to use more than anything. I'll definitely look into those models. Thanks again.

Anybody else???

Jaxon

I have both the Garmin Etrex (the yellow one, about $99) and the Garmin Rino 120 (a lot more $). I use the Etrex about 10 times more than the Rino. Very simple to use, and definitely the most cost effective way to "get from here to there."
Avery

I'll second what avery said about the Garmin etrex. Real simple to use, and does 98% of what you want a GPS to do. I got my dad one about three years ago after he got himself lost on an elk hunt and had to spend the night in the woods in November. If my dad can use one, anyone can. Scott/couesbitten

I have heard nothing but good things from Etrex users. I was looking for a new GPS and settled on th Vista color model. All I can say is: Sweet! Someone mentioned the Legend and I would second that as a good all around unit. I'm not saying that your pappy has bad eyes but I would suggest thinking about the color model as it is a little easier to read in general, especially when using some of the mapping programs.

The yellow e-trex is simple and easy to use. As far as an A to B unit, it is perfect. And for 100 bucks, it can't be beat in price. I don't even use all the features on mine. I do carry the quick reference guide in my pack just in case. mtmuley

I have a garmin Ledgend. I love it. Very simple to use. THw lendgend and vista have a atltimiter that I love to use. I like to know how high I am in the hills. The extra memory it has to down load is great. Not a bad price. If you can find rebuilt ones then you can save alot. Also check out ebay. They always have a tone there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom