GPS grids

F

Firsty

Has any one here used a grid/scale to find waypoints on a topomap then put them into there GPS? If anyone could explain to me how to use these or what kind to buy it would be appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-04 AT 09:35PM (MST)[p]I learned a different and better way of finding location or plotting where to go in the military. While working for the BLM it was all we used (I am not sure if efficent and BLM maybe should not be used in the same sentence!) Anyways, UTM grids are much more user friendly than long/lat. And all modern GPS units will easily enable you to pinpoint your location much easier and exact way. I almost forgot, UTM cord. are located on almost if not all 7.5 min. maps. A 4 digit UTM would get you within 1000 m. A 6 digit UTM would get one within 100m. The first 3 digits would be easterly, and the last three would be northerly(for N. America). With a little practice this system is much easier to use IMO.

First off you need to get grids that match the scale of the map you will be reading. It is easiest if you draw vertical and horizontal lines connecting the UTM markings on the sides of your map. Next find the point you need coordinates for and place the grid reader on it and read the corresponding distances to the next grid line. OK, I know how to do it, and that explanation confuses me! Try to do an on-line search, I can't remember is www.maptools.com will tell you how to do it or not, but they have examples and downloadable grid readers on there. I learned from reading a little pocket book, that I picked up at Sportsmans Wharehouse. It's not hard to learn, just takes a minute.

Rut

Its a little tough so I wimped out and bought software. Now I download everything then print the Maps I made on mylar paper!
It works great!
Jack

Firsty,
You may want to visit your local map store. Ask them if they have UTM scales. A good store will have a few selections. The one I use is about 2" by 2" clear plastic square with reticles similar to the crosshairs on a scope. The reticles have have tick marks and numbers that allow you to determine coordinates. Basically, you place this scale on a USGS map (scale fits into UTM squares) and read what the coordiantes are. You then enter these coords into the GPS.
-Raptor

A couple of years ago, I stumbled across a video that explained how to calculate GPS coordinates. It even had a clear plastic ruler included that, when used correctly, would tell you the coordinates. I've tried it and it is surprisingly accurate. Most map stores will probably have it or atleast be able to point you in the right direction.

Ghost Hunter

I've used the UTM overlay and it's good. It will get you very close. The web site mentioned maptools.com has a good explanation on it. When I bought my utm overlay it came with instructions, you should be able to buy one at any map/survey supply store.

Randy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom