GPS

P

papadew

Hey Topgun what kind of GPS do you have? Also what PC program have you got?They seem to always give you and everyone on here good help. Thanks Papadew:

I just upgraded recently from an old Garmin Legend to a new Garmin Legend HCx that I bought on amazon.com for $153 to my door, which was cheaper than my old one. Then I bought a Wyoming microSD chip for it for $79 from hungtinggpsmaps. The PC programs I use are the Wyoming BLM CD ROM from Maptrails that is no longer sold, as well as the North America Topo 9.0 DVD from DeLorme that covers the entire continent. I got it for $99 from Cabelas. The GPS I bought is nothing fancy, but is all I need, even acquires satellites indoors, and has the same buttons as my old one, so I didn't have to learn a new gizmo.

Good choice Mike. That Wyoming micro chip is THE answer. I don't know what I ever did without it. I'm not technical by any means and its very easy to use. Works with any Garmin. I have a 60gsx which I love.

I love the micro chips. I have one for almost all the western states now. They make it so much easier to hunt where there is a mix of private and public land. I also have the garmin 60gsx and it works great.

Delorme software does not show private in-holding in National Forest and Grassland properties. It does show private in-holding in BLM properties. Found out the hard way. Should have bought a Garmin.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-12 AT 11:09AM (MST)[p]No, I didn't get a trespass ticket. Found out about Delorme's not including private in-holding in NFS/Grassland areas by researching potential areas I was wanting to hunt. I had purchased the Delorme based on the idea you could download maps and aerial photos from their map library. I have called Delorme but they have not said they would fix the problems. Just don't depend on Delorme info to keep you from trespassing in and around NFS properties. BLM info is good as far as I can tell. Delorme won't allow third party chips access to their units either, I tried to purchase a chip but found out they are no good in Delorme units.

Just be careful with the Wyoming chip. The hunt area boundaries are not always accurate or labeled correctly. I've also notice a couple of land status mistakes. Always double check with a map....

Glad to hear you didn't get a ticket. I would just as soon the chip didn't have those hunt boundaries on it because as far as I'm concerned it's just garbage on there that I don't need.

Liontamer---As far as the land status mistakes that you think you've found, a guy on another website said that if you contact them with possible errors they will look into and if they find you are right they will makes corrections and exchange chips with you so the new one is accurate.

You are right and I've already made the contact. My fear is that folks won't update their chips often enough to keep them out of trouble. I plan to update mine yearly, but I still don't really trust it. Thanks for the info.

When you guys use those chips, is it possible to use your PC to view the public boundaries as well? I just got my first one for an Iowa scouting trip, but did the download version. It helped me immensely, but I'm still learning features. Anyone know if it's possible to view the public boundaries on an aerial image somehow? I have the Garmin 60CSx. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-12 AT 07:53AM (MST)[p]Zim---You can't use the PC with the chip. To go back and forth between your PC and GPS you have to get the download version like you said you bought. I can't answer your last question, but if you just go onto the website and either email or call them, you'll get an answer quickly.

In regards to the other member's statement, I think they are much more accurate than you are giving them credit for. Other than an occasional booboo that a couple people have found, I think you'll find they are accurate within a few yards of the actual property lines. I will still make maps with critical waypoints using those PC programs. Then using this new GPS with the chip and using the tracks feature I can easily show anyone right where I was to prove I didn't trespass.

Here is one I found on Craigslist. I don't know anything about this guy, ANYONE in GJ Colo.area that can check this guy out, would love to buy a couple chips for my Garmin 530HCX radios/Gps, But don't know if he a scammer or not.I would need some-one to do a face to face for me. Thanks

I have for sale a MicroSD Memory Card that will work in any Garmin Handheld or Car GPS unit..It comes with 24K TOPO for all 11 Western States. The states included are Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon, and Washington. Retail this would cost around $500 for these 11 states Jonathan 97Zero Six4Zero 44Six1

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-12 AT 08:23AM (MST)[p]I bought a google map overlay of public property for $30 once and it works pretty well, I would make some changes if it were me, but not too bad. If you are not used to google earth it could be a little hard to use. You either have to make the overlay transparent or go through and make the fill clear with a thick border. Or you could just turn the layer on and off... It is not a big deal if you are just looking at a small area, but when you are looking at the entire unit every piece of public that is not connected together is basically in there as its own parcel, so it is time consuming to change them all around. Probably still worth it, but they should have just put all of the state ground together as one layer and the same with BLM and forest. You basically need a BLM map while you go through and make changes because it can get somewhat confusing if you are trying to do the borders.

I think I got it here in the middle of the page:

http://www.kmlers.com/GPSlandboundarymaps.html

I'd highly suggest doing the download, because I never went afield without studying the public land overlay on the topos in the morning. That was invaluable evaluating parcels.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm going to get a Garmin along with that wyoming sd chip.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom