Grand Mesa Archery Question

Chow_Hound

Looking for an archery hunt to take my 15 year old son on. Looking for high numbers of deer and elk, don't care about trophy quality - a rag horn or small 3x3 or 4x4 would be perfect. Will be hunting on foot and don't mind walking or spiking out, but don't want killer terrain.

I am focused on 41/42/421 and 411/52/521. First, will these units fit the bill? Second, is there any real difference between these units - I need to decide on which deer tag to apply for (we have points so drawing either won't be an issue)? Any suggestions on which specific unit or area to focus on would be appreciated. Feel free to pm me.

Thanks!

For the quality of animal you're after every unit you listed is equal. The mesa is very forgiving but can also be as much of a challenge as you would like to make it. As far as elk, as long as you get a mile or more from the road you will find good opportunity.

if your willing to walk a decent amount you more then lickely will get into them. quite a few elk but a lot of hunters good luck

I can see the Grand Mesa from my back door. It is a great place for trout, becoming a great place for moose, is an awesome place for record size mosquitos (seriously bring the highest deet repellent you can buy). Its is another Colorado Parks and Wildlife success stories when it comes to Deer and Elk. Because of intense and concerted wildlife management strategies this area is known for a dwindling deer herd, a low bull/cow ratio and poor hunter success rates. Just like the other otc units it is barely worth the license fees.The Grand Mesa is another embarrassing feather in the cap of the CPW. I say this in all honesty, I too have kids that will be hunting in a few years and I worry about the quality of the experience. Feel free to pm me and good luck!

I spent a week in 41/42/421 on a muzzle deer tag. looked for high and away and encountered only few elk , a bear and my partner seeing a small buck. Qoite few hunters with various tags. What deer we did see were in private down near the hay ground--so changed gears and beat on a few doors with ok results. Killed a decent 3x4 and was grateful to all that helped. In fact-they may come and hunt in Iowa with us. If i were u, i think you may might try for a tresspass fee hunt?? Sorry i9 cant help more

Riggo

I just came across this thread and have to reply. I have killed a 6x6 every year for four years running. Just 280 to 310 bulls but I have got a some beasts I have been watching. A guy shot a 348 this year, I think he took it to darryls taxidermy in gj. We hunt away from all roads and live off our backs and we have s blast.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom