Grassy Mountains Ram, SCI Score

T

TMas

Hey, I'm usually not one to post much about my hunting, but some great guys on this forum stepped up to give me advice and Yelum even took some time from his busy schedule to hunt. Rutnbuk was a great buddy to have along and hunted with me almost every day until I found the ram on the second to last day. I thought you guys would find this stuff interesting.
After the 60 day drying period I got my Ram officially scored by a master measurer from SCI. He scored 182 1/8. I don't have all the measurements right her in front of me, but if you took the unharmed (smaller) horn and double it he would still score about 174, which means that the larger (bent) horn had about 8 total inches mass/length more than than the unharmed horn. According to the SCI Online Recordbook, my ram should be the #5 all time California Bighorn!
For those who didn't see the old post, this ram had quite a life story. He was transplanted from antelope island as a 2 yr old ram in February, 2003, to the Newfoundland range. I have received some photos from a great guy who guides for sheep, and got to see some great pics of him up until 2010 as a beautiful ram, with two undamaged horns. He later showed back up with some life changing event that had kinked his left horn down against his face. I was unbelievably lucky and obtained a depredation tag for the bighorn who had apparently migrated from the newfoundlands, over to the south end of the hogups, down onto the lakesides and the Hill Training Range, and finally out to the grassy mountains. A report came in of him being sighted out on the grassies about 2-3 miles from where a flock of domestic sheep were. The dwr contacted 3 hunters from the depredation program who all declined the permit, and I jumped on and took the opportunity. By the time my hunt started the report was 9 days old and weather did everything it could to try and stop me from finding the ram. Well after 3 days of pounding the roads, ridges, and cliffs, snowdrifts and rockslides, rutnbuck and a couple of my other friends who helped came up completely empty, no sign of hide nor hair, or even a track. After taking christmas eve and day off to spend the time with my wife and young daughter, rutnbuck and I returned out there and found the ram late in the day. I had one day left to hunt and knew we had to make it count now. A solid hit and a quick follow up shot put down the coolest/strangest looking big old ram I've ever seen. Still to this day I am in shock about the whole experience, and the score of 182 1/8 doubled the amount of shock I have, I expected him to be in the mid 170 range.

8739submission_pic.jpg

283submission_pic_2.jpg

Thing is bad ass! I got your story through an email awhile ago, and I must say you guys did VERY well...great story about a surprise hunt for a super ram!

I remember some time ago the writer Bob Robb killed a Dall with a 'melted' horn like that...think he called him Chernobyl Ram?

Dan Smith III killed a Wheeler ram with Mick Chapel oh 10 or 11 years ago that had his left horn crushing his eye socket, but he wasn't really 'melted', just crooked...will dig up a couple pics of an example of same genetic of a much more recent recent ram I call Twister if ya want

Very cool, thing's a damn Hammer! Would also love to see more pics!

Cheers'

Adam

Tmas,
I too heard some of the story and reveived some pics of your great ram.

I'll say iy again, WELL DONE MAN!

That thing is awesome and you did the wild sheep herd a favor by removing him before he could potentially spread disease.

He's one of the coolest looking rams and the high score just adds to your whole experience.

Thanks for sharing. It's the kind of story that should be told.

Congrats,
Zeke

That is the TMas ram for sure! (TMas=Total Mass) LOL.
Very good story and one that will not soon be forgotten.
I know there were some tag holders who knew about that ram this past year but either couldn't find him or chose to not go after him. That was their loss and your gain.
congrats again.

Here's a couple more...

3728imag1662.jpg

You can see here the left ear was pinned straight back....
4049imag1659.jpg

8389dsc03948_-_copy.jpg

Sure was a lot of fun Thom thanks for having me along. And working me like a rented mule.

Hey Robb don't go getting any ideas about my jacket would you like to barrow it?

Rutnbuck

Here is another interesting couple of pics. These are X RAY images of the good horn and the bad horn I shot today. It does appear that there was a fracture of the actual horn bone, not the sheath, and there was regrowth of a calcified material of sorts between the old bone. We were able to x ray and find where the tip of the original bone ends, and the tip on the broke horn was 6" farther from the skull than the intact horn, which makes sense that the left horn is 6" longer than the right, because the bone inside isn't what usually grows as the ram gets older, but this new growth was filling in space as the horn in a sense "fell" because of gravity. Once the horn hit the side of his face it wasn't pulling so hard and then the growth straightened out.
Anyway, just a theory, one of many that i've heard. I'm going to have a Vet look at the images and see what he thinks.
Good Horn, at the base:
3391ram_009.jpg

Bad horn: Here you can see that the old healthy bone looks like it could fit together like a puzzle piece, making me believe it fractured right there and filled in with the "white" looking bone.
9788ram_004_-_copy.jpg

Love the ex-rays! I was thinking it had to be a disease that softened the bone to droop, but I can now see how an actual break could do that.
Thanks for sharing!

Excellant recap, of a great hunt. What a beast. Cool about the final score. They say records are meant to be broken, but Utah will have a hard time producng another 180 Cali ram.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

That is amazing! I thought it was in the mid-170s too when I saw it in the back of the truck. I mainly thought the horn length was shorter.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-14 AT 10:30PM (MST)[p]T-mas, thanks for putting up the Xrays...very cool to see. I think a fracture along the the axis of the core and the subsequent 'slipping' makes a lot of sense in how that dude got his 'melted' horn...maybe a very hard, glancing blow would deliver such a trauma

I've never seen a ram in person like that, but have seen several with one side broke off, probably from a hard direct impact that caused the core to fracture pretty much perpendicularly to the horn axis

Anyway, one of the coolest lookin rams I've ever seen for sure

Heres the pics of the weird crooked genetic we've got around here, no apparent fractured 'melting', just a wacky horn set on these dudes

Dan Smith's 2003 ram (from Mick Chapel's website photo gallery)

3686_medium_newmexico-elkhunting_68848.jpg

And my crap pics of Twister from last summer

8774img_4367.jpg

9193img_4368.jpg

8099img_4370.jpg

Pretty much the same ram, 10 years apart!

Strange and interesting stuff

Anyway, thanks for posting up your crazy horned Brute! Many congrats again, VERY well done on the whole deal man

Cheers'

Adam

Thom, another interesting thing to note.
When I was hunting in 2010 and on Nov. 5th, when we found that ram on the Lakesides. We all thought it had an orange ear tag in it's right ear. Here's a very short, shaky video of it.
Then the next day (Nov. 6th) when we found it again about 1/2 mile from where we last saw it the day before. It clearly had a red ear tag with white markings.
there has been debate between us that there may have been two separate rams of the same size or that the red rear tag just looked orange in the bight sunlight.
Ty told me that he knows for a fact that the ram he saw the year before had an orange ear tag.
So it may have been your ram before he broke his horn.

Interesting Koby. I can tell you that in fall 2010 my ram did already have a kinked horn, based off the pictures I've received i believe the injury to his horn happened summer/early fall of 2010. But, there had been another orange tag #118 that hung closely with my ram until 8/2010 and wasn't seen again after that. He could have easily been the one you saw down on the Lakesides that year. It was definitely a good looking ram that you filmed that day! I think it's safe to say there has been at least 3 different Rams roaming the Lakesides(at least the northern part) for several years. I wonder if anyone has since seen the red/white eartag ram, he'd be getting pretty old by now based on how large you said he was!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-14 AT 11:29AM (MST)[p]greatwestern...
Those are some GREAT pictures! That's very unique to have the crazy tight twist like that. Thanks for sharing.
oh and when you say "around here", what state are you refering to?

Twister's got a pretty serious blinder on his Left side. I'm guessin' he has hung with "republican" rams to warn him of "democratic" danger LOL!

*****UPDATE*****
I received a call from the measurer when he realized that he measured my ram incorrectly. He used the 1/4 measurements from the short horn to lay out the mass measurements, instead of the long horn. He came down and re-measured the ram, and this time it put the score much closer to where we all thought it would be. 175 5/8.

I'd take 175+ any day! Still one heck of an animal and I am very glad he was harvested instead of dying out there by himself.
Thanks for the update TMas! Some guys would have left the original numbers out there but you are obviously a class act to disclose the scoring error.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom