great article

mntman

Long Time Member
I so agree with this article! There are many forms, ideas, traditions in the hunting environment that I do not necessarily agree with; however I sure won't be out there telling them to stop!

We all grew up in different places with different ideas on how to hunt. Sure some may be more/less challenging but so what, its all still hunting. Simply sad the people that talk crap about bow vs rifle, bait vs stalking, etc... Heck I would NEVER hunt high fence but still stand with the people that do. They are still part of the hunting community.

People keep doing it and one day we will all get to talk about back in the day when we could hunt...

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/ou...s—and-why-its-dangerous-all-us?src=SOC&dom=fb

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

As Franklin said before signing the Declaration of Independence, "We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."

Agreed 100%. Very good read and something more people should take to heart. There may be hunts that I would not enjoy, but as long as someone else is doing it LEGALLY I will support them as I expect they would me. One of my favorite lines in the article that people should really think about when degrading others is "My conclusion is that?whether from ignorance, jealousy, or some other reason?some folks feel the need to disqualify others as hunters, because they see only their method or interests as pure or ?real? hunting." I think that sums it up perfectly.

Unfortunately, as usual, this article and the replies miss or ignore the REAL reason for the problem. The differences in hunting methods and philosophies NEVER stay in the field nor in the casual/social conversations. They ALWAYS end up in the game management rules, regulations, laws and policies through proposals, ideas and deals with those who make the rules. And the group or groups with the most money and/or power or influence will prevail at the expense of the individual hunter. As long as that continues to happen there will continue to be contention.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-16 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]I've never had a lot of money. always lived in the "lower middle class" designation and since I retired, I've dropped another notch or two, so far as my monetary status.

For the past thirty years I've listened to a handful of people speak poorly of wealthy hunters, who hunt as their monetary capacities allows then to, the same as I did, as my monetary capabilities allowed me to. Which was never as often and never has as "good of tags" as the wealthy could afford.

I never once resented the wealthy for their capabilities to hunt differently then I could, any more than I resented their vehicles, their homes, their vacations, their health insurance, their clothing. etc. Freedom and free enterprise has always represented wonderful things to me. Knowing that the potential for growth and prosperity was available for everyone, based on personal ambition.

For the first 50 years of my life I listened to others complain about the wealthy and their "stuff" and it never had much effect on me or my attitude toward the fortunate or the less fortunate. However, as I have watched an listened to the less fortunate whine and complain and b!tch and point fingers of accusation and ridicule, it has finally sickened me.

The poor and less fortunate have sickened me to the point that I have found myself detesting every thing they say or every thing they do. Because of their constant complaining and b!tching, I have come wish the worst for them, including the sportsmen who are represented on these public forums.

You make me sick.

DC

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-16
>AT 09:51?PM (MST)

>
>I've never had a lot of
>money. always lived in the
>"lower middle class" designation and
>since I retired, I've dropped
>another notch or two, so
>far as my monetary status.
>
>
>For the past thirty years I've
>listened to a handful of
>people speak poorly of wealthy
>hunters, who hunt as their
>monetary capacities allows then to,
>the same as I did,
>as my monetary capabilities allowed
>me to. Which was
>never as often and never
>has as "good of tags"
>as the wealthy could afford.
>
>
>I never once resented the wealthy
>for their capabilities to hunt
>differently then I could, any
>more than I resented their
>vehicles, their homes, their vacations,
>their health insurance, their clothing.
>etc. Freedom and free
>enterprise has always represented wonderful
>things to me. Knowing
>that the potential for growth
>and prosperity was available for
>everyone, based on personal ambition.
>
>
>For the first 50 years of
>my life I listened to
>others complain about the wealthy
>and their "stuff" and it
>never had much effect on
>me or my attitude toward
>the fortunate or the less
>fortunate. However, as I
>have watched an listened to
>the less fortunate whine and
>complain and b!tch and point
>fingers of accusation and ridicule,
>it has finally sickened me.
>
>
>The poor and less fortunate have
>sickened me to the point
>that I have found myself
>detesting every thing they say
>or every thing they do.
>Because of their constant complaining
>and b!tching, I have come
>wish the worst for them,
>including the sportsmen who are
>represented on these public forums.
>
>
>You make me sick.
>
>DC

Well said! You make my point exactly. Focus on the differences, attack me personally, and ignore or sluff off the manipulation of the system that results from those differences.

My only regret is that most of those you resent don't get it either and basically do the same thing and thus don't show up to the meetings (Open houses, RAC's, Wildlife Board, Legislature) where the manipulation takes place.

2Lumpy said, "... However, as I have watched an listened to the less fortunate whine and complain and b!tch and point fingers of accusation and ridicule, it has finally sickened me.

The poor and less fortunate have sickened me to the point that I have found myself detesting every thing they say or every thing they do. Because of their constant complaining and b!tching, I have come wish the worst for them, including the sportsmen who are represented on these public forums.

You make me sick."

I find it interesting the 2Lumpy complains of people who "whine, complain, and #####" yet that is exactly what he is doing. Another way to look at it is that he's just voicing his concern and opinion, but, that too is what others are doing, from money or not, when they see the future of hunting in these States quickly becoming "different" from the way it has been in our lifetimes, voicing their opinions, and would like to see things reverse or at least slow down a bit.

I judge a man by how he takes care of his Family even through the worse, how he handles himself when faced with tough tasks day after day, and if or not he thinks he's better than others because they are less fortunate. Money or privilege has never been a factor and my friends well know this.

So should we stick together? Yes, but we also need to police ourselves from the runaway commercialization of OUR Wildlife and i believe that is exactly what is happening that merits concern and comments. They want it "their way" and no feedback from others, especially from the whiny, complainty, less affluent type like myself, and that's just not going to happen in a open Forum like this.

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-16
>AT 09:51?PM (MST)

>
>I've never had a lot of
>money. always lived in the
>"lower middle class" designation and
>since I retired, I've dropped
>another notch or two, so
>far as my monetary status.
>
>
>For the past thirty years I've
>listened to a handful of
>people speak poorly of wealthy
>hunters, who hunt as their
>monetary capacities allows then to,
>the same as I did,
>as my monetary capabilities allowed
>me to. Which was
>never as often and never
>has as "good of tags"
>as the wealthy could afford.
>
>
>I never once resented the wealthy
>for their capabilities to hunt
>differently then I could, any
>more than I resented their
>vehicles, their homes, their vacations,
>their health insurance, their clothing.
>etc. Freedom and free
>enterprise has always represented wonderful
>things to me. Knowing
>that the potential for growth
>and prosperity was available for
>everyone, based on personal ambition.
>
>
>For the first 50 years of
>my life I listened to
>others complain about the wealthy
>and their "stuff" and it
>never had much effect on
>me or my attitude toward
>the fortunate or the less
>fortunate. However, as I
>have watched an listened to
>the less fortunate whine and
>complain and b!tch and point
>fingers of accusation and ridicule,
>it has finally sickened me.
>
>
>or every thing they do.
>
>
>You make me sick.
>
>DC

are you referring to me???
If you are I have no clue how you figure I am whining and crying about rich people having hunts that I don't... In reality down that path no I don't care about them having more hunts than me. I am jealous but wouldn't stop them from going, I think some states offer too many tags for auction but that is a different subject. I don't give a dam that somebody has the money to buy a $50k tag every year and I don't. Good on them, they worked harder than me, however I still have many memories from my cheap hunts/trips I go on each year.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

EFA-- Every group has their own opinion and proposal as to what should or shouldn't be included in regulations. Some of them do get included in final regs etc. But, I think it is na?ve to think that any of us would be okay with going back to the old days where all decisions, were made soley by the wildlife managers. The very reason we have many of the conservation groups, is because the PUBLIC wanted some say in the decisions that were made, and that precipitated folks getting together, so as an organized group their voice would have more leverage with the big game managers. The fact that some groups have benefitted financially from this-- was and will continue to be a the reality. You should know this by your own experience with UWC. It takes money to get things done. I'm certainly not always comfortable with the influence that some groups have but its the reality of the system that needs to be in place to raise the kind of funding needed to accomplish much of the beneficial wildlife projects that we hopefully will all benefit from as hunters.
Could you explain what you mean by "...deals with those who make the rules." Is there some sort of underhanded dealings going on? If there is, then I would be the first to stand up against it. If you're referring to the Expo thing-- its been beat to death-- I haven't seen anything that says it was done illegally-- maybe ethically tainted in some way-- but I can't see anything illegal yet.
There will always be a balancing act of opportunity vs quality. That debate could go on forever, hopefully there will continue to be "opportunity" for those who are looking for big mature animals and "opportunity" for those who just want to see a buck of any size. For me, its always a treat to see a big mature buck. I may be wrong but those bucks represent healthy strong herds in the future because maybe they will pass on the genetic traits that will make it possible for our deer herds to survive the next thing nature may throw at them and survive. I know-- even yearling bucks can pass those genetic traits on, but natures process is set up so that the biggest and strongest will pass those traits on to their offspring-- The does are the ones that choose the sire. According to Geist- they will always choose the buck that is the strongest and biggest and with the biggest headgear.If the only thing around is a spike, it becomes ,-- perpuation of the species 101.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-16 AT 02:51PM (MST)[p]12000 said, "The does are the ones that choose the sire. According to Geist- they will always choose the buck that is the strongest and biggest and with the biggest headgear.If the only thing around is a spike, it becomes ,-- perpuation of the species 101."

Huh? The doe in heat does not choose, she will stand for any buck with the inclination. In a healthy herd, there will usually be at least several available Bucks there to do the deed. The healthiest, biggest, baddest buck that can intimidate or run the lesser bucks off will shortly return to do the breeding unless another buck has stepped in while he was momentarily away. The doe cares not.

I've watched this hundreds of times myself, if your expert says that does choose, then he's no expert.

Joey

>EFA-- Every group has their own
>opinion and proposal as to
>what should or shouldn't be
>included in regulations. Some of
>them do get included in
>final regs etc. But, I
>think it is na?ve to
>think that any of us
>would be okay with going
>back to the old days
>where all decisions, were made
>soley by the wildlife managers.
>The very reason we have
>many of the conservation groups,
>is because the PUBLIC wanted
>some say in the decisions
>that were made, and that
>precipitated folks getting together, so
>as an organized group their
>voice would have more leverage
>with the big game managers.
>The fact that some
>groups have benefitted financially from
>this-- was and will continue
>to be a the reality.
>You should know this by
>your own experience with UWC.
>It takes money to get
>things done. I'm certainly not
>always comfortable with the influence
>that some groups have but
>its the reality of the
>system that needs to be
>in place to raise the
>kind of funding needed to
>accomplish much of the beneficial
>wildlife projects that we hopefully
>will all benefit from as
>hunters.
>Could you explain what you mean
>by "...deals with those who
>make the rules." Is there
>some sort of underhanded dealings
>going on? If there is,
>then I would be the
>first to stand up against
>it. If you're referring to
>the Expo thing-- its been
>beat to death-- I haven't
>seen anything that says it
>was done illegally-- maybe ethically
>tainted in some way-- but
>I can't see anything illegal
>yet.
>There will always be a balancing
>act of opportunity vs quality.
>That debate could go on
>forever, hopefully there will continue
>to be "opportunity" for those
>who are looking for big
>mature animals and "opportunity" for
>those who just want to
>see a buck of any
>size. For me, its always
>a treat to see a
>big mature buck. I may
>be wrong but those bucks
>represent healthy strong herds in
>the future because maybe they
>will pass on the genetic
>traits that will make it
>possible for our deer herds
>to survive the next thing
>nature may throw at them
>and survive. I know-- even
>yearling bucks can pass those
>genetic traits on, but natures
>process is set up so
>that the biggest and strongest
>will pass those traits on
>to their offspring-- The does
>are the ones that choose
>the sire. According to Geist-
>they will always choose the
>buck that is the strongest
>and biggest and with the
>biggest headgear.If the only thing
>around is a spike, it
>becomes ,-- perpuation of the
>species 101.

Thanks for a sensible and calm response. I, and I think others, appreciate it.

First, I may be nieve in some areas and on some issues, but certainly not enough to think we could (or should) go back to the point where ALL decisions were made solely by the DWR wildlife managers and I've NEVER proposed we should. In fact, it would be foolish of me if I did, because I wouldn't have a say either. Please don't read things into my post that aren't there.

Second, I think it's great that there are sportsmens' wildlife conservation organizations around. I would never have it otherwise, and yes, they do a great deal of work that benefits all kinds of sportsmen. While there may be some, even in UWC, that think we have no other option and would shut some of them down, I think we can still work together on most projects and proposals. But where we differ, I'm willing to say so and I'm not intimidated by the labeling, name calling, insults, negative references to my family or lifestyle or attempts to shut me up. Say or call me what they will, I know who I am and I figure that the problem is theirs, not mine. I also know that the labeling, name calling, insults, etc. are nothing more than an attempt to compensate for a weak position. If the position were strong enough to stand on its own, those emotional arrows wouldn't be needed.

Third, Yes, I suppose there will always be a balancing act, but right now it's more toxic than it needs to be, in part, because the trophy crowd isn't happy with the current General Unit buck to doe ratios, even though ALL units are at or above the Mule Deer Plan. And this isn't the first time the balance has gone beyond necessity and/or reason. Overcrowding, loss of statewide archery, increasing LE hunts, shortened seasons and antler point restrictions are all policies designed to reduce opportunity and have nothing to do with increasing or maintaining populations. The balance has shifted drastically toward commercialization and the pursuit of trophies and people are noticing that they are being dis-infranchised and are on the outside looking in. They don't like what they see!

Fourth, Not all deals are secret or private, but that doesn't mean they still aren't deals. However, I have no idea, and neither do you, how many unpublicized local napkin meetings have been held. Additionally, SFW, BGF, and others openly have hired lobbyists to get laws passed by states and feds and those lobbyists aren't confined to making deals in open, public meetings. A lot of lobbying goes on in hallways, offices and restaurants.

Fifth, As for the breeding of does, you, like many others who prefer trophies, assume that all the mature/older bucks will be killed and none will be left to breed does, but that isn't true. It's amazing who comes out of the hidey holes and shows up when the does get hot! There won't likely be a case where the only thing around is a spike. But even if there is, that spike has viable genes, DNA, and sperm adequate for the job. And the does will end up pregnant. Sure it's fun to see mature bucks, but let's not go so far as to change the management of the unit from opportunities to trophies.

Yes, let's keep the balance, but let's keep it proportional to the numbers of ALL hunting types, even those who don't show up at the meetings.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]>

>or every thing they do.
>
>
>You make me sick.
>
>DC

So, how far exactly are you willing to take your wish? I, for one, would like to know what I'm up against.

Thanks for posting. Definitely some good points. Getting rid of the opportunity system would probably be the best first step in getting rid of a lot of the competition that divides us.

Yeah, what 2Lumpy is wishing for, "the worst" is possibly the meanest thing that i've personally ever read in these pages.

Well, i care. Even though we often have opposite views, I've always had the greatest respect for the Man, hope 2Lumpy was just having a bad day or for some reason wasn't on top of his game when he wrote out the above with poison pen. Life is way too short to be carrying around those kinds of ill wishes for people just because some differ on a internet topic or Forum.

lol, but, if it will make your day 2Lumpy, i've been spending some time this past week with Drs. and a Cardiologist, they don't have much good to say about the functions of my heart other than it's nice and big.

Joey

Thanks for posting that article. It was an interesting read.

I agree that we should be careful about criticizing other hunters because they choose to hunt with a different weapon, utilize a different tactic, hunt a different season, choose to hire a guide over a DIY hunt, etc. I also have no problem with sportsmen that have the finanical means to buy the best equipment, hire the best guide, apply for NR tags in multiple states or travel to far away places to hunt exotic animals. Congratulations and more power to you. Please share you experiences with the rest of us on these forums. I don't view myself as rich but to some folks I may be considered wealthy. Wealth is a relative term. Regardless of where we find ourselves on the wealth spectrum, as hunters and sportsmen, we need to stick together and support each other on the core issues underlying our sport (right to bear arms, opportunity to hunt, right to own private property, right to hunt public property, etc.).

However, I refuse to sit back quietly and ignore issues and problems that I believe are threatening the sport of hunting and the opportunity for average sportsmen to hunt. Does that mean that I despise or criticize a wealthy individual who draws a LE or OIL tag and uses his resources to have the best hunt possible? No. Does that mean that I am jealous of those who have the time and money to go on multiple out of state hunts each year? No. But it does that mean that I will speak out against the commercialization of hunting, the abuse/waste of public resources, and efforts to push individuals out of this sport in the name of trophy hunting rather than science.

Ironically, when you raise an issue or concern along these lines, some of our fellow sportsmen accuse you of being jealous, spiteful, sickening, narrow-minded, anti-hunting, etc. For many, it is innappropriate to question the DWR or a conservation group. The leaders of the groups often point to a success over there to justify a problem over here. I believe that hunters and sportsmen can stand together on core issues and still have a robust internal debate about conservation and management issues. After all, we should be asking questions, expressing concerns and policing ourselves as sportsmen and hunters rather than waiting for the anti-hunters to do so.

-Hawkeye-

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]>Thanks for posting. Definitely some
>good points. Getting rid
>of the opportunity system would
>probably be the best first
>step in getting rid of
>a lot of the competition
>that divides us.

There you go, folks. Any questions?

(Notice it's only the first step. Care to know what the second, third, fourth steps are to get rid of a lot of the competition that divides us?)

Sage- do you know who Valerius Geist is ? He's considered somewhat of an expert on Mule Deer. You ought to read his books on his study of Mule Deer.I was only stating what he has stated concerning Mule Deer behavior-- I think I would trust his knowledge on the subject a whole lot more than your opinion. Seeing actual deer breeding, hundreds of times though is pretty impressive !

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 12:01PM (MST)[p]EFA-- I never said YOU would propose going back to the old days of no public involvement.
I never call you names-- I respect your efforts and applaud your stance on "opportunity".
No doubt I would much rather harvest a mature buck deer than a yearling --- to the extent that I have only harvested one buck deer in the last 25 years... My decision , my choice and I hunt every year. I always encourage my grand kids to find and harvest the buck THEY want, but mostly to enjoy the work it takes to find the buck they are happy with.
For you to "assume" that I believe that all the mature/trophy bucks will be killed and won't be around to do any breeding is laughable. They didn't get big always making poor choices in predator avoidance tactics.
I have to agree with Geist on the fact that it is Natures way in the preservation of the species drive, that dominant bucks doing most of the breeding will most likely assure that the best and strongest genes are passed on. That will most likely enable the herds to survive even the harshest conditions they face. I think that is why the whitetails in Alabama seem to be just a wee bit smaller than the bruisers found in the harsh conditions of Alberta or Manitoba. Having big mature deer populations DO matter in Mule Deer populations-- We just have to allow, to a large extent, Natures natural selection process to be involved.

Elkfromeabove,

We can talk about these steps if you would like. Start a knew thread and we'll take it up over there?

Keep an open mind though.

Hawkeye-- what do you consider the "science" of Mule Deer management? If it only takes 5-6 bucks /100 does to perpetuate the species every year-- is that the science/biology that needs to be adhered to? What about the part of the "science" that says that any mule deer population is healthy if there is a wide range of age class structure within the breeding population. You know what I'm getting at-- the distance between what is the minimum to perpetuate the species and the other end of too many male deer vs. female deer on a given range - e.g 50-60 bucks/100 does, the gap here is a social issue. The MD Committee plan wasn't really guided by the "science". It fell well within the scientific parameters and was an attempt to balance the "social" aspects of hunting.You know that is the part we have our opinions about. I'm not sure exactly where most of the hunters fall in this area, but I would bet that its somewhere in the middle of it all.
Remember-- the more bucks the higher opportunity there is to fill your tag-- hopefully that is part of the opportunity we all want too.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 12:42?PM (MST)

1200, No, i don't know the guy or have read of him but if he says that Does Choose, i'd call him out to his face that he's certainly no expert, at least on that aspect.

Believe who you want, i have no reason to lie or try to deceive, but if you doubt me, i'd ask others like myself, who have spent untold seasons in the field during the rut watching deer physically breed. Ask them if a Hot doe chooses her mate or gets taken thru the baddest boy, or sneakiest, gets the spoils. Like many other animals, when she's hot and gets to the point of standing, she doesn't care who's behind her.

Joey

Rich-

As I have told you and others before, I recognize that there are a wide range of views when it comes to the issue of opportunity v. quality. I personally fall somewhere in the middle. I love to hunt big bucks but I also like to hunt regularly. As a result, I generally apply for units where there is a chance for a big buck but you don't have to wait a lifetime to hunt. That is a personal choice of mine. I think the DWR has done a pretty good job of balancing the interests of these two camps.

As you know, my issues with the DWR and some of the conservation groups go far beyond these social issues and relate to concerns such as lack of accountability and transparency with public assets and failure to follow their own administrative rules. Sportsmen should feel free to express concerns about those types of issues without being accused of cannabalizing their own.

-Hawkeye-

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 12:58PM (MST)[p]Nebo, better go back and read Mule Deer Country by Geist. He does not say a doe chooses antler size. They choose the dominant buck or any buck if the dominant buck is busy. He goes on to say the largest antlered bucks are usually not even active fighters and breeders. The old "5-6 bucks" line. Hawkeye desires the herd to be managed to the set parameters and out comes the old standby argument that the guy must want the deer herd to be compromised and taken down to "5-6 bucks". Political red herring at its finest.

>Elkfromeabove,
>
>We can talk about these steps
>if you would like.
>Start a knew thread and
>we'll take it up over
>there?
>
>Keep an open mind though.

I'd love to, but I think it's better to wait until after November 4th when my wife gets through with her chemo and radiation treatments and we get her newly diagnosed diabetes under complete control and I have a little more free time to do some research. I'll be quite busy with everyday stuff until then. And, after all, we wouldn't want to disappoint DC, would we, since he's on a roll!

Thank you 2_point, again i'd be careful of the term, "they Choose". My findings are that the only thing that the Does choose is what basin or area that they want for mating. The bucks come to them. Often Does will use the same "breeding Basins" year after year. Some Basins have no or few deer and the next one is literally cluttered with deer, most of them engaged in the process.

Now, who or what a doe chooses to hang with the rest of the year, i suppose that's up to her.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 03:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 03:21?PM (MST)

Hawkeye hit the nail on the head with his response.
I am not rich by any means. Id guess im in the lower middle class bracket. Ha!
But I will ask you a question
No matter what your financial situation looks like, if you had to stand in a long line for years....with possibly hundreds or thousands of people standing in line ahead of you, even where you can't see the front of the line, would you be happy or excited to watch several people butt in line in front of you all the time or jump to the front of the line? Maybe it would make you frustrated and grit your teeth. Maybe it would piss you off. Maybe you'd blow a gasket as you watch every year, more and more people butt in front of you. Noticing that youre not even moving anywhere. Youre still standing in the same spot. Even though you have some guy walk down the line each year, holding his hand out to collect your money just so you can stand in line. Think about how many folks would be ok with that.

Think about the last REALLY LONG line you waited patiently in. Maybe it was at Cabelas open house. Maybe a concert. Maybe leaving the parking lot at a Nascar race. How did you react when you seen a person jump in line ahead of you with their friends? Or how did you feel when that car cut you off in the Nascar parking lot that you've been waiting literally hours in just to leave?

I've seen fights, road rage over these questions. Look at Black friday shopping. Dear Gawd! I'll stay home!
To say the majority are laid back and don't care if others butt in line ahead of them... is a false.

Maybe the words of the North American Model speaks volume to me and a little differently than most. Or....maybe Im just like everyone else.

I've read this article before. I agree with most of it. But I can easily see the situations or circumstances that can cause people to turn away from hunting altogether, or give hunters a bad name.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

Irony at it's finest.

Hunters arguing about hunters arguing.

LOL.

Divide and conquer. We have met the enemy and he is US.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-16 AT 11:06PM (MST)[p]When it comes right down to it, isn't all this arguing and bickering more about the vast difference's we all have in Hunter Ethics and conservation practices. I know that's what causes most of my hate and discontent. One more thing, to me these big money auction tags. Seems like someone paying a lot of money to legally poach the biggest Bucks left that year. After a gang of Deer Scouting thugs, search and find it. Then watch it until the shooter gets there. Wow, I would feel good about that.

One tag equals one dead deer. No more seasons. No more game laws outside the realm of public safety and accounting. Your ethics become your own and another man's hunt or kill becomes as insignificant to you as anything else. THAT is how this gets fixed. We thought regulation could make this better and all it does is strip us of our freedoms and unity.

Great article. Even though I've been accused of not being your regular Joe hunter and a fake conservative, I can attest to the fact that I have seen many does who are ready to receive their nutrients, actually kick and butt smaller bucks out of the way as she shimmies her willingness to a different buck. And, not always the biggest in the herd. Go figure.

He says the dominant buck usually has the biggest headgear. But he does say the does do make a choice in the matter if it is between a large dominant buck and an inferior buck with small antlers. If there isn't a choice it doesn't much matter-- perpetuation and survival of the species is paramount. I agree the most dominant buck doesn't necessarily have the biggest headgear but generally speaking they do have a pretty substantial set. Geist also says that it is a primary factor in what a doe looks for-- it indicates a buck that has the kind of genetic factors that will more likely help the species to survive. Anyone who doesn't believe that this kind of behavior is not instinctive in the species would do well to do a little reading and studying of books written on the subject by biologists with a lot of data to share on the subject.

>He says the dominant buck usually
>has the biggest headgear. But
>he does say the does
>do make a choice in
>the matter if it is
>between a large dominant buck
>and an inferior buck with
>small antlers. If there isn't
>a choice it doesn't much
>matter-- perpetuation and survival of
>the species is paramount. I
>agree the most dominant buck
>doesn't necessarily have the biggest
>headgear but generally speaking they
>do have a pretty substantial
>set. Geist also says that
>it is a primary factor
>in what a doe looks
>for-- it indicates a buck
>that has the kind of
>genetic factors that will more
>likely help the species to
>survive. Anyone who doesn't believe
>that this kind of behavior
>is not instinctive in the
>species would do well to
>do a little reading and
>studying of books written on
>the subject by biologists with
>a lot of data to
>share on the subject.

So, that being the case, why are some of you folks so intent on scouting for and killing the ones with the biggest headgear, while slamming those of us who are content with killing the dinks? Am I missing something or is it that you just don't want us shooting ANY of them?

The big bucks won't get killed every year. Most guys that hunt for bigger mature animals eat tag soup. Mature bucks are more of a challenge to hunt-- for some its about the challenge and experience than it is about the actual kill. I think that's your feeling about why you are content with killing younger deer too, if that is what you choose. Personally, I could care less about whether you are happy with killing younger age class bucks. If it fills your bucket, that great. Hunting is something we choose to do, not something we have to do. That's why hunting is so great-- we can try as hard or as little as we want. What makes you happy won't necessarily be what makes flips my cookies.
I'm not sure who is slamming you about killing "dinks", certainly not me-- I could care less if you do. The current system is an attempt to balance both.

>Hawkeye-- what do you consider the
>"science" of Mule Deer management?
> If it only takes
>5-6 bucks /100 does to
>perpetuate the species every year--
>is that the science/biology
>that needs to be adhered
>to? What about the part
>of the "science" that says
>that any mule deer population
>is healthy if there is
>a wide range of age
>class structure within the breeding
>population. You know what I'm
>getting at--
>the distance between what is
>the minimum to perpetuate the
>species and the other end
>of too many male deer
>vs. female deer on a
>given range - e.g 50-60
>bucks/100 does, the gap here
>is a social issue. The
>MD Committee plan wasn't really
>guided by the "science". It
>fell well within the scientific
>parameters and was an attempt
>to balance the "social" aspects
>of hunting.You know that is
>the part we have our
>opinions about. I'm not sure
>exactly where most of the
>hunters fall in this area,
>but I would bet that
>its somewhere in the middle
>of it all.
>Remember-- the more bucks the higher
>opportunity there is to fill
>your tag-- hopefully that is
>part of the opportunity we
>all want too.

Science is only as good as the data put in, and those who interpret it. You must also keep in mind there are nearly zero grant dollars available to someone to say, "no problems". Follow the money, find the results. Or is that only true in Global warming/climate change, but in mule deer it can't be manipulated.

I am fine with the attempted manipulations that take place in the RAC or open meetings. Its those meetings that require a registered lobbyist to conduct that should concern all of us. The simple reality is a very tiny minority have decided to dictate, and spend a ton of time and money doing so. And for some unknown reason they seem to spend a bunch of time lecturing the rest of us that we should all just go along and get along, of course while they are doing neither.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom