grizzly kills hunter

geeze,,,,,,,

>>>It is illegal to kill a grizzly bear, which is listed as threatened in the Lower 48 states. It was not immediately known if the hunter who shot the bear will be charged with a crime.<<<<

Oh great!!!
And I leave for my AK brown bear hunt Monday morning.
Can we please refrain from posting such things until
I'm on the bush plane sometime Wed?
FREAKIN ME OUT!!!!!!

WHO THINKS ITS TIME FOR A GRIZZLY SEASON IN THE LOWER 48????
THIS IS GETTING WAAAAAAY TOO COMMON!!!!!

Prayers for the family and Kudos to the one with the fortitude to do what he had to do and put that 4-legged devil down.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-11 AT 10:29AM (MST)[p]Perhaps some of the facts on this one need to be clarified.

Two guys were hunting BLACK bears. One guy, thinking it was a black bear, wounded a grizz. When they tracked it, the bear killed the other guy, and the one who wounded the bear initially finished killing it.

IOW, he broke the law to begin with. It's unfortunate his stupidity led to his friend's -- and the bear's --demise.

BONNERS FERRY, Idaho ? A grizzly bear wounded by a hunter later attacked and killed the hunter's partner Friday after the two men tracked the animal in a remote area along the Idaho-Montana boarder, authorities said.

Steve Stevenson, 39, and Ty Bell, 21, members of a hunting party from Winnemucca, Nev., were going after black bears when the attacked occurred about 10 a.m. PDT in a mountainous, heavily forested region in Lincoln County, Mont., near the Canadian border.

Bell shot and wounded a young male grizzly, believing it to be a black bear, undersheriff Brent Faulkner said.

"They tracked the bear into an area of heavy cover where Mr. Stevenson was attacked by the wounded grizzly bear," Faulkner said in a news release late Friday.

"Mr. Bell was able to shoot the bear multiple times, eventually killing it," he said.

Bell used his cell phone to call for help but Stevenson died from his injuries, Faulkner said.

The area is extremely remote, with no roads and poor communications, said Ron Aasheim of the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks. Authorities reached the scene in helicopters.

"This is big-time back country," he said. "There are no roads even close to this thing."

Authorities said the two were part of a four-person hunting party going after black bears in the area when the attack occurred. Faulkner said the party had split up earlier into two-member teams.

The incident is under investigation. It is illegal to kill a grizzly bear, which is listed as threatened in the Lower 48 states. There was no immediate word if Bell would face any charges.

This is at least the third man killed by a grizzly since July. In late August, a grizzly bear in Yellowstone National Park, some 400 miles south of here, mauled a Michigan hiker to death. In July, a female bear with cubs in Yellowstone attacked a couple from California, killing the man before fleeing.

This attack comes as Idaho's congressional delegation has proposed amending the Endangered Species Act to clarify that it is legal to shoot a grizzly bear in self-defense or in defense of another person.

The legislation was in response to the case of a northern Idaho man who shot and killed a grizzly cub in May after it and two other cubs wandered onto his property.

Jeremy Hill, 33, was charged with a federal crime of killing a federally protected species, but the case was dropped last week and he paid a $1,000 fine for a noncriminal infraction.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Holy cow!
Did you read some of those responses?

This one for example.....

Quote:

Ive met hunters and every single one of them was a dorkus that gets a charge out of killing animals. Gives them a false sense of superiority to kill. Puts them in a false sense of control. Control freaks is what they are, not men, but giant underdeveloped babies. Wierd wierd bunch I'll tell ya.

Poor judgment in misidentifying the type of bear and in going after the wounded animal in thick brush. Very tragic outcome.

Eldorado

Bell was believing it to be a black bear,

OK come on people if you don't know the difference of the two bears what the He!! are you doing hunting them.Take time and study the game animal you trying to hunt before you go hunting.

The surprising thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools.

The F&G has killed 2 grizzly's here in MT in the last week for minor infractions(raiding chicken coups ect),sure glad the feds arnt running things here like they do in YNP where they let bears who have killed people walk.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-11 AT 11:49AM (MST)[p]>sure glad the
>feds arnt running things here
>like they do in YNP
>where they let bears who
>have killed people walk.

Not quite true. They manage the park bears on a case by case basis. Earlier this year, a sow, defending her cubs, killed a hiker. They left the bear alone because an investigation showed that the sow was doing what bears do naturally.

In a later hiker death, such was not the case:

3 grizzlies caught after deadly attack
Related to mauling of John Wallace
Updated: Thursday, 08 Sep 2011, 1:33 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 08 Sep 2011, 1:33 PM EDT

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) - A Yellowstone National Park spokesman says two more grizzly bears have been captured as part of an investigation into last month's mauling death of a Michigan man.

Park spokesman Al Nash said Wednesday that the adult male bears were captured Sunday in the Hayden Valley area, where 59-year-old John Wallace of Chassell, Mich., was killed on Aug. 25 while hiking alone in the park's backcountry.

Nash says hair samples were taken from the animals for DNA testing. The bears were fitted with radio collars for tracking and released.

Park officials have said they will kill the bear that mauled Wallace if they can confirm its role through DNA analysis. Another bear captured last week also was released after being radio collared.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Some facts left out. The kid who shot the bear is a avid outdoorsman. He knows the difference between a grizz and a black bear. This bear on the other hand had no distinct characteristics of a grizz. It was jet black had a pointed face not a dish like face of a griz and was about the size of a black bear, 400lbs. IDFG even said it looked like a black bear. So goes to show you that this could happen to anyone. It's a real tragic incindent and my prayers go out to the family.

I can understand mis-identification of a bear in heavy timber on occasion, but it is just that. Maybe a shot shouldn't have been taken. But... a JET BLACK grizzly bear? Forgive me TruIdahoan, but until I see proof, no way. mtmuley

MT requires black bear hunters to pass an on-line ID test before picking up a license. Likely didn't take the time to make proper ID, likely part of why it was a bad wounding shot. Obviously they didn't know it was a griz by the fact that they tracked it. A careless mistake. But the poor guy paid the price with his life... Isn't that enough? People make mistakes that cost lives driving too...

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-11 AT 02:35PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-11
>AT 11:49?AM (MST)

>
>>sure glad the
>>feds arnt running things here
>>like they do in YNP
>>where they let bears who
>>have killed people walk.
>
>Not quite true. They manage the
>park bears on a case
>by case basis. Earlier this
>year, a sow, defending her
>cubs, killed a hiker. They
>left the bear alone because
>an investigation showed that the
>sow was doing what bears
>do naturally.
>
>In a later hiker death, such
>was not the case:
>
>3 grizzlies caught after deadly attack
>
>Related to mauling of John Wallace
>
>Updated: Thursday, 08 Sep 2011, 1:33
>PM EDT
>Published : Thursday, 08 Sep 2011,
>1:33 PM EDT
>
>BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) - A Yellowstone
>National Park spokesman says two
>more grizzly bears have been
>captured as part of an
>investigation into last month's mauling
>death of a Michigan man.
>
>
>Park spokesman Al Nash said Wednesday
>that the adult male bears
>were captured Sunday in the
>Hayden Valley area, where 59-year-old
>John Wallace of Chassell, Mich.,
>was killed on Aug. 25
>while hiking alone in the
>park's backcountry.
>
>Nash says hair samples were taken
>from the animals for DNA
>testing. The bears were fitted
>with radio collars for tracking
>and released.
>
>Park officials have said they will
>kill the bear that mauled
>Wallace if they can confirm
>its role through DNA analysis.
>
Another bear captured last week
>also was released after being
>radio collared.
>
>
>
>
>TONY MANDILE
>
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

>How To Hunt Coues Deer

Bla Bla Bla
One bear kills a hiker and the FEDS decide to let it go,another bear eats a few chickens and BANG,another gets into trash cans after being relocated BANG,both killed by MT F&G,and they didnt wait 2 months to start looking for them.Obviously their idea of case by case is completely founded in BULLSH I T.MT F&G thinks the bears MIGHT hurt someone so they kill them IMMEDIATLY,the feds let a bear go AFTER it already killed a hiker and then make a big deal aout looking for it a month later!You can defend their idiotic decisions till your blue in the face,it dont make it any less idiotic to let a man killing grizz go free in a park full of tourists.Everyone knows its too late to catch that bear,they waited over a month to even start looking for it.Why even test boars?They know it was a sow RIGHT?Its another BS govt attempt to cover up a huge mistake they made,nothing new.

Young grizzlies look an awful lot like black bears especially when wet. I have 7 brown bears,grizzlies out my back window I watch almost every night.Had the local judge tell me one night as they fishing, that they were blacks until their mother showed up.We have had 3 bears killed here in the last week by our local cops.Too bad about this, but he is now a good grizzly.

>Bla Bla Bla
>One bear kills a hiker and
>the FEDS decide to let
>it go,another bear eats a
>few chickens and BANG,another gets
>into trash cans after being
>relocated BANG,both killed by MT
>F&G,and they didnt wait 2
>months to start looking for
>them.Obviously their idea of case
>by case is completely founded
>in BULLSH I T.MT F&G
>thinks the bears MIGHT hurt
>someone so they kill them
>IMMEDIATLY,the feds let a bear
>go AFTER it already killed
>a hiker and then make
>a big deal aout looking
>for it a month later!You
>can defend their idiotic decisions
>till your blue in the
>face,it dont make it any
>less idiotic to let a
>man killing grizz go free
>in a park full of
>tourists.Everyone knows its too late
>to catch that bear,they waited
>over a month to even
>start looking for it.Why even
>test boars?They know it was
>a sow RIGHT?Its another BS
>govt attempt to cover up
>a huge mistake they made,nothing
>new.

Whoops, I made a mistake assuming you at least knew the basic facts behind the two separate park incidents, such as when each one happened and other already known facts. Apparently not the case. Sorry about that.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I kind of wonder about most people commenting on this site, does it turn most of you on to hear about a wounded animal? do most of you think every wild living thing should be shot,wounded or eliminated? This supposed exceptional hunter made a poor, non lethal shot, wounding the wrong species of bear, then apparently followed it into cover,getting his partner killed, and now its the bears fault? What a bunch of city slicken morons.

Thanks for making my point Piper!

And by the way, You yourself win the complete Moron award for underestimating the concern and passion that "most" MM members have for all wildlife. Those blinders you seem to have on are ugly finders as well as seeming to allow you such a limited view.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those involved!

Joey

Yea I notice, "now he is a good bear" or its the governments fault and they should kill all the bears, reminds me of the people that say, its the governments fault, when someone falls off a cliff dragging someone else with them, reminds me of that famous slogan,"the only good indian is a dead indian".

Well, yeah, but you're trying to lump everybody or "most" of us on this site as that way. We're not and i suppose that you're not either.

Just a terrible set of circumstances, some of which were definitely avoidable, that i'd not wish on anybody.

Joey

I see the govt is now blaming the hiker that got killed in YNP for the attack," he shouldnt have run away when the bear charged,and he shouldnt have screamed for help when the griz was chewing on him"Obviously his fault.....

For GODS sake there are a bunch of PC pussies in this world!

piper, help me understand you better.

Do you ever purchase any animal products. ie; fish, beef, pork, poultry, leather, feathers, baseballs, footballs, soccer balls, gloves etc.?

Never mind, I already know your answer. Yes you do, whether it be intentionally or unintentionally.

Some humans (farmers) raise animals for consumption on farms, large and small. Other humans (sportsmen) raise wildlife for consumption. The ONLY different is sportsmen raise wildlife in a larger, less confined pen but make no mistake, we raise them for consumption as surely as farmers raise domestic animals for consumption. Folks like you raise animals for wildlife parks, zoos and you laps (so they can lick your face). We have no problem what you do with the animals you raise for your purposes and you sure as hell consume either farm raised animals or wild raised animals, so grow up, wake up and get a dose of reality in your convoluted one tracked mind. Humans raise and consume animals, your human and your consuming them right along with us.

And if your a vegan, your still consuming animal life. You think you can grown plants without killing animals to do it, your wrong again. Anytime you put a plow in the dirt, your killing some kind of animal that inhabits that spot.

We all know who the morons among us are.

DC

Interesting turn in the story, They now say Ty Bell accidently killed his hunting partner by shooting him in the chest as he was being attacked by the wounded bear, sad deal

This is back in the news today, since another hunter was mauled by a bear near Jellystone Park today.

I guess we are just going to have to concede this season to the bears.......

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom