Guide refunds/discounts?

JPickett

Long Time Member
Seen a few threads on here reviewing a guided hunt where no tags were punched or really no opportunity to , and another comment of a client that went 5 straight trips not harvesting a goat and it got me thinking.

Now I’ve never been on a guided hunt and as long as I’m able to pull my own weight up a hill I never will. Would just feel too much like a cuck, but I know a lot of you guys are into that sort of thing so here’s my question

If a guide has the ole “trophy fee” for shooting an animal above x , which I’ve seen a lot in advertisements. Should they not offer a discount for not getting you on an animal at all? Or sub par for what they advertise so nothing harvested?

Any of you guys been in that situation? Had that conversation?

Now I’m well aware it’s hunting, but the “trophy fee” thing had always made me laugh. I suppose this question is reserved for that particular scenario

What do you think? Big shot guide can’t get you your trophy does he owe you money like you owe him if you shout too big a buck?

I’m with you, it makes me scratch my head. I was looking at an outfit who guides near a friends place and looking at prices and it laid out the price and then there was 1000 dollar harvest fee… why not just include it in the price?

I personally don't like guided hunts with xxx$ trophy fees for sizes. Why pay more to get lucky? Unless they worked exceptionally hard, or did a heck of a lot more work, why pay it? Most of the time, pay by the inch hunts suck!!

In 60 years of hunting, I have only gone on two guided hunts in the US, and it was a matter of access to private land only. No extra fees were asked for, and the one resulted in an B&C animal. African safari hunting is an entirely different thing altogether.

Well Pickett!

They Ain't Doing This SShhitt For Fun Or Practice!

You Wanna Play?

You're Gonna Pay!

And Sometimes Pay A Little More!

Seen a few threads on here reviewing a guided hunt where no tags were punched or really no opportunity to , and another comment of a client that went 5 straight trips not harvesting a goat and it got me thinking.

Now I’ve never been on a guided hunt and as long as I’m able to pull my own weight up a hill I never will. Would just feel too much like a cuck, but I know a lot of you guys are into that sort of thing so here’s my question

If a guide has the ole “trophy fee” for shooting an animal above x , which I’ve seen a lot in advertisements. Should they not offer a discount for not getting you on an animal at all? Or sub par for what they advertise so nothing harvested?

Any of you guys been in that situation? Had that conversation?

Now I’m well aware it’s hunting, but the “trophy fee” thing had always made me laugh. I suppose this question is reserved for that particular scenario

What do you think? Big shot guide can’t get you your trophy does he owe you money like you owe him if you shout too big a buck?

HINT Pickett:Just Cuzz You Paid Umpteen Thousand Dollars Doesn't Make It A Guarantee!
You don’t say. What I’m asking is what skin does the guide have in the game. Like the guy on here a while ago talking about his 4th season Colorado premier super best deer tag ever where the guide told him about all the big bucks they’ll see and saw nothing but dinks for a week straight hitting the same four spots over and over again.

I’d call that at least a false bill of sale and probably even a failure of services. But it was still full price for that guy. Pretty good racket

You don’t say. What I’m asking is what skin does the guide have in the game. Like the guy on here a while ago talking about his 4th season Colorado premier super best deer tag ever where the guide told him about all the big bucks they’ll see and saw nothing but dinks for a week straight hitting the same four spots over and over again.

I’d call that at least a false bill of sale and probably even a failure of services. But it was still full price for that guy. Pretty good racket
For some reason I thought the guy stated 2nd season... in a "migration" area. It would have to be a hell of an early winter to get them migrating 2nd season, but I guess possible.

Well Pickett!

Life Ain't Always Fair!

And I Don't Agree With Alot Of The BS That Goes On!Let Me SPLAIN Something-Else To You Since You Seem Kinda Secluded!

Ok!

The OutFitters Book Up!

Some Outfitters Make Offers After Being Booked Up!

If You Shy From The Offer?

Who Do you Think Is Gonna Be Hunting The Better Animals?

It Won't Be You!

No!

I'm Not Saying It's Right!

But It Happens!

If You & Me Book With The Same Outfitter That Is Guiding Jimmy John?

Do You Think Me & You Will Be Hunting The Same Animal?

You See What I'm Sayin?

I speak very limited utard but, yes, I’m picking up some of what you’re saying through the Mountain Dew slur.

Here’s what I’m saying. If I were ever to go on a guided hunt ( and I won’t) this would be the only arrangement I would see as reasonable. You get me that 190 buck you say you can , I pay you an extra 2k . You dont get me on him that’s 2 k off. Insert dollar amount you want but that’s the jest.

The fact that there is no incentive for a guide to produce I’ve always found stupid. But again, I’m not a client and if you’re waking into that kind of arrangement I don’t have a lot of sympathy for you. My question is of course hypothetical.

That last ones a big word for a utard so I’ll wait while you google it

Hey Pickett!

While You're Wanting SPECIAL DEALS From Said Outfitter He Just Said F'It & Booked Somebody-Else!

And You Want A Guarantee On a 190" Buck In Today's World Or If You Don't Get a 190" Buck You Want A F'N Refund?

GOOD LUCK With That!

Do You Want WLH Or MOSSBACKS Numbers?

You Remind Me Of Another Hunter/MM'ER that Asked A Few Years Ago:

When Are We Gonna Run Out Of Hunters Willing To Pay Them Kinda Prices?

HINT:

We Ain't Ain't Running Out Of People With More Money Than Brains!

You be the judge.
I’ve been on a few guided hunts. Some required guides (Africa). Only a few hunts were on public land that were stateside. I went on a sheep hunt which was worth every penny as it was in rough terrain, required a boat and I did not know the area at all.
A few years back, me and a friend decided we wanted to have a chance at a giant bear. We decided to book an Alberta bear hunt. I spoke with a reputable booking agent and did research on the guide. It looked okay.
In my opinion, the hunt was not cheap but given the bears they were killing, we decided to go ahead with it and send our deposits. Covid hit and we decided to wait it out and told the outfitter to hold our deposit and we would hunt there at a later date. All seemed well and before the hunt, we were informed that the guide was raising rates by $500. Although it bothered me, we still went ahead with it.
The guides would drop us off at stands and they told us to not shoot anything under 6 1/2 feet. That was fine with me.
I never saw a shooter bear. My friend might have seen one but it was too dark to tell.
In their defense, we did have bad weather for most days. However, I still did see a lot of small bears.
The guides and outfitters did not seem like they wanted to move a lot or talk too much about what they were seeing on their other trail cams, at other sites.
One guy in camp shot a 6’ bear, me and my friend and another hunter did not kill a bear and the other guy in camp shot a great bear on the last day.
Below average food and accommodations but not a big deal.
We never complained and hoped that they would invite us back and possibly offer a discount on the next hunt. We left a tip for our guide and thanked them. They did not say much and I was glad to get back home. The owner said he was real busy and to not call him until after the season If we anted to come back.
After getting back home and thinking about it, I decided that I would likely never return.
I might be wrong in expecting a “discount” as it is hunting and you never know.
I would rather go DIY and try to draw tags. I’ll likely never do another guided hunt in the states again unless it’s with Randy Johnson and I’m hunting sheep.

Last edited:
You be the judge.
I’ve been on a few guided hunts. Some required guides (Africa). One was a sheep hunt which was worth every penny as it was in rough terrain, required a boat and I did not know the area at all.
A few years back, me and a friend decided we wanted to have a chance at a giant bear. We decided to book an Alberta bear hunt. I spoke with a reputable booking agent and did research on the guide. It looked okay.
In my opinion, the hunt was not cheap but given the bears they were killing, we decided to go ahead with it and send our deposits. Covid hit and we decided to wait it out and told the outfitter to hold our deposit and we would hunt there at a later date. All seemed well and before the hunt, we were informed that the guide was raising rates by $500. Although it bothered me, we still went ahead with it.
The guides would drop us off at stands and they told us to not shoot anything under 6 1/2 feet. That was fine with me.
I never saw a shooter bear. My friend might have seen one but it was too dark to tell.
In their defense, we did have bad weather for most days. However, I still did see a lot of small bears.
The guides and outfitters did not seem like they wanted to move a lot or talk too much about what they were seeing on their other trail cams, at other sites.
One guy in camp shot a 6’ bear, me and my friend and another hunter did not kill a bear and the other guy in camp shot a great bear on the last day.
Below average food and accommodations but not a big deal.
We never complained and hoped that they would invite us back and possibly offer a discount on the next hunt. We left a tip for our guide and thanked them. They did not say much and I was glad to get back home. The owner said he was real busy and to not call him until after the season If we anted to come back.
After getting back home and thinking about it, I decided that I would likely never return.
I might be wrong in expecting a “discount” as it is hunting and you never know.
I would rather go DIY and try to draw tags. I’ll likely never do another guided hunt in the states again unless it’s with Randy Johnson and I’m hunting sheep.

A real man would hunt doves with Randy Johnson😉

And You Want A Guarantee On a 190" Buck In Today's World Or If You Don't Get a 190" Buck You Want A F'N Refund?
See, ya gotta lay off the dew. It’s clouding your eyes.

Did not say guarantee. Said get me on him, I pay more. Don’t I pay less. It’s called being paid for the service you do.

I’m in construction for example. I don’t make my schedule I get hit with LD’s regardless how hard I tried, I still failed. Should I still get paid like I didn’t?

Sometimes it's not the guides fault they didn't put the hunter on a good animal. The hunter shows up 50 pounds over weight smoking 2 packs a day. Not much a guide can do with that. I suppose it depends on the species you're after and the location.

I'll SPLAIN IT I GUESS:

You Want A GUARANTEE To Have Them Get You On a 190" Buck Or You Don't Wanna Pay!

I Asked:

Do You Want WLH Or MOSSBACKS Phone Number?

See, ya gotta lay off the dew. It’s clouding your eyes.

Did not say guarantee. Said get me on him, I pay more. Don’t I pay less. It’s called being paid for the service you do.

I’m in construction for example. I don’t make my schedule I get hit with LD’s regardless how hard I tried, I still failed. Should I still get paid like I didn’t?

Hey Eel?

They Can usually Even Do It With Them Circumstances For A NOMINAL F'N FEE That Pickett Doesn't Wanna Pay!

Sometimes it's not the guides fault they didn't put the hunter on a good animal. The hunter shows up 50 pounds over weight smoking 2 packs a day. Not much a guide can do with that. I suppose it depends on the species you're after and the location.

Um.

If I take a job and it's framed by a blind moron, I don't get to cash the check then say, "the framer sucked". That's my risk.

If you don't want the risk, don't take the reward.

They Ain't Blind Hossy!

They Don't Give A RATS ASS!

The Taper Will Catch It!:D

Um.

If I take a job and it's framed by a blind moron, I don't get to cash the check then say, "the framer sucked". That's my risk.

I'd Guess In Your First Phone Call & Mentioning A Discount Or A Refund You Might Have Issues With Somebody Answering Your 2nd Call!

Hey Pickett?

If you Ain't Planning On Hiring A Guide?

Why You Worried About It?

And If You End Up Doing It?

And They Do Get You On a 190" Buck?

How Much You Tipping Them?

How Much you Tipping Him If He Shows You How To Do It Right?

Or How Much Of A Rebate You Gonna Demand If He Does It Wrong?

You got one thing right at least.

Like I said to me it’s just like telling a guy come show me how to bang my wife cuz I can’t figure it out.

But They Work That Trophy Fee To Their Advantage!

Which Can Go Either Way!
I think it makes it seem cheaper in the event a “trophy” is taken. Easier for the guide to not work to hard and shoot a more average animal.

I’d rather pay more for better access or private land. So packed in far or exclusive terrain to hunt.

Top Notch Guides Are Gonna Be Top Notch Cost!

They Know What Brings The BIG Money In!

I think it makes it seem cheaper in the event a “trophy” is taken. Easier for the guide to not work to hard and shoot a more average animal.

I’d rather pay more for better access or private land. So packed in far or exclusive terrain to hunt.

Hey Pickett?

If you Ain't Planning On Hiring A Guide?

Why You Worried About It?

And If You End Up Doing It?

And They Do Get You On a 190" Buck?

How Much You Tipping Them?
I guess my question is why is the concept of standard business negotiation and fees for or refunded for lack of services rendered is such a hare brained idea when it comes to this industry

I tip pretty good at the coffee stand. Because I got the coffee they said they’d get me. I suppose i would apply the same concept to a buck to answer your question. But if I order a coffee and get a empty cup I’m asking for my money back, I suppose paying for the cup I got wouldn’t be totally out of line but it sure wasn’t what the barista told me she would do

Last edited:
If a guide has the ole “trophy fee” for shooting an animal above x , which I’ve seen a lot in advertisements.

What I’m asking is what skin does the guide have in the game.
I've seen trophy fees in Africa and for add-on animals in Alaska, but didn't know they were used elsewhere.

But I feel like the "skin" the guide has to produce a big animal is the fact that he makes more money if he guides the client to a trophy.

To me, that's maybe even a more "skin in the game" arrangement then the guide getting paid the same regardless of success. 🤷

Um.

Don't you look at the plans before you bid? Can't you go to the contractor and say you threw me a curve? I charge so much a sq.ft. but you didn't say it was a curved circle.

Life’s too short to worry about how people spend their money on their vacations. But for conversation:

I’ve had two clients not get animals guiding.

The first was the classic brown bear client. Books the hunt with no research and bought a new gun just for the hunt. Showed up out of shape and no idea what spring bear hunting is. Wanted to walk all over. First day of the hunt I spot one of the biggest bears we’ve ever seen. Mile long stalk and wind was perfect. I video the bear coming in and he’s less than 100 yards away. He never pulled the trigger. Wasn’t comfortable with his gun and honestly scared of bears. Bear’s 6th sense kicked in and he was gone. Reviewing the video we had the bear under 100 yards for 1 min 30 secs. We spent the next 9 days passing up little bears and seeing one more shooter but he gave us the slip. Hunt fulfilled right? We did our part he didn’t do his part. But the outfitter decided to let him come back the next year for 50% off (18k). Prime dates and back in our prime spot. At the time I was ok with it because he hunted hard the first year. But the weather was unusual the first year, hot and sunny. Anyone that knows spring bear in AK that is not how it usually is. 2nd year it was normal, wet and cold. He stayed in his tent the whole time. He hates rain. Once we spotted a bear we would shake his tent flap and ask him if he wanted to look at it. He said if it wasn’t a shooter he didn’t care. Day 5ish we saw one and got him to 130 yards. Again he froze up when the bear was broadside. After some very choice words he finally shot and killed the bear. Even though he blew it the first year I felt terrible he didn’t get an animal. He hunted hard and nothing worse I’ve experienced than coming out of the field unsuccessful. But the way he acted the 2nd hunt? After day two I was on the bears side. But I knew if he killed a bear we could GTFO of there. Little side note, after he killed his bear he wanted extraction ASAP. I called the pilot and it was his daughter’s graduation and he mentioned a storm was coming and we would be stuck there two days. I begged for him to get the client which he did. Pilot was right, I was stuck there for two days and the client was gone to lower 48 before I got out. To this day the only client I’ve blocked/ghosted/lost contact with. Outfitter had instant regret once we got out letting the guy come back for 50% off.

Second client to not get an animal was a guy who booked a mountain goat hunt because we average 97% success. He had been on 5 previous unsuccessful goat hunts. When he got off the plane he was wider than he was tall. We instantly knew the spot we had to take him. Our easiest spot is normally reserved for 65 year old + hunters. This guy was mid 40s. Born on third base but thought he hit a triple. We got to spike camp with no problems. Woke up the next morning and walked the mile to the goats. We got above them and had them dead to rights. But he didn’t want to walk any further. That’s when he told us he’s never made it to day 3 on a goat hunt. Always gives up. We went back to spike camp that night and he seemed in good spirits. The goats were even an easier spot in the morning but he said “boys I want to go home”. As mountain therapists we tried to talk him out of it. But he wouldn’t have it. Said he’s been a quitter his whole life. Before we got off that mountain I sent the outfitter a message not to offer a reduced price to come back.

I know most legitimate outfits want all their clients to be successful if they do their part and usually try to offer a reduced price to come back to achieve their goals etc. it’s not always feasible if it’s a draw tag in an hard area. But I can’t relate JP’s coffee analogy to guided hunts. Generally you’re not selling them an animal you’re selling an experience. This is not in reference to gov tags or PLO hunts where they provide you pics of animals etc.

For me I have no interest in killing another sheep, goat or bear etc But nothing beats seeing the excitement of others achieving their goal in getting one of the above. Especially the blue collar guys who saved for years.

3 more months and be back to helping people chase their dreams. 🤙

I can't imagine bidding a job, then showing up hanging the board, taping the board, finishing the board then telling the customer I'll need to charge a fee to sand it.
Customer paid for a completed job, they get a completed job.

The more I hear about the guide industry the better I feel about the drywall industry.

I can't imagine bidding a job, then showing up hanging the board, taping the board, finishing the board then telling the customer I'll need to charge a fee to sand it.
Customer paid for a completed job, they get a completed job.

The more I hear about the guide industry the better I feel about the drywall industry.
You don’t have inclusions and exclusions in your bids? Wow interesting. Do you include paint? Primer? Interesting! Show me a contract where a guided hunt guarantee success? Then your analogy make sense…

Last edited:
Hey SS!

He Tries To Cover Up The PISS POOR Wood/Lumber Of Today!

And Alot Of Times That Same Wood Was Stood Up With The NO GIVE A SSHHITT ATTITUDE!

You don’t have inclusions and exclusions in your bids? Wow interesting. Do you include paint? Primer? Interesting!

They roof.

But if they were thinkers they'd charge the trophy fee.

"Yeah, um theirs 6" of snow on your roof. We bid you a shingle job, but if you want the snow shoveled off first that's a trophy fee"
Most companies that have exterior projects have a different unit rate they bid for winter. What’s surprising when it comes to deck contractors and roofers I’ve the seen the price lower. When I’ve inquired they wanted to keep their guys busy.

Roofers are 3 months behind right now in alaska. 3 months out. They are all working. Doing repair jobs and shoveling snow off roofs. @Bluehair

Hey SS!

He Tries To Cover Up The PISS POOR Wood/Lumber Of Today!

And Alot Of Times That Same Wood Was Stood Up With The NO GIVE A SSHHITT ATTITUDE!
Hahaha. You want to see terrible lumber packages I swear to god they send all the chit wood to alaska.

It’s foolish to try to even compare drywall to guiding. But it’s winter so why not? 😂

I Think That's Where JUNK Wood Comes From Is Alaska!:D

Na!

It's Everywhere!

New Quick Growth!

Most Don't Even Know What Kiln Dried Was!

And This Beetle Kill Wood Won't Even Hardly Burn!

Hahaha. You want to see terrible lumber packages I swear to god they send all the chit wood to alaska.

It’s foolish to try to even compare drywall to guiding. But it’s winter so why not? 😂

You don’t have inclusions and exclusions in your bids? Wow interesting. Do you include paint? Primer? Interesting! Show me a contract where a guided hunt guarantee success? Then your analogy make sense…

I'm not a painter.

No.

If we contract a level 4 finish, we produce a level 4 finish.

Level 5 means level 5.

Done means done.

And if their is a customer complaint we remedy it to the level they purchased.

If there is a change, change orders are done in advance

I'm not a painter.

No.

If we contract a level 4 finish, we produce a level 4 finish.

Level 5 means level 5.

Done means done.

And if their is a customer complaint we remedy it to the level they purchased.

If there is a change, change orders are done in advance
Do you come back if the customer punches a bunch of holes in the drywall and fix it for free?

Do you come back if the customer punches a bunch of holes in the drywall and fix it for free?

Depends.

Years later? No.

Prior to closing, yeah. That's the "risk" of doing business. The goal is repeat buisness

We(I) also put in backing where needed. If we see an issue we know will cause a problem long term we make sure it's addressed.

On most gc jobs, if I tried to change order after I did the job, they'd enjoy the laugh. Buisness gets paid for or contracted in advance so everyone knows what to expect.

We(I) also put in backing where needed. If we see an issue we know will cause a problem long term we make sure it's addressed.

On most gc jobs, if I tried to change order after I did the job, they'd enjoy the laugh. Buisness gets paid for or contracted in advance so everyone knows what to expect.
Yeah I think its pretty acceptable (within reason) to put some backing in places by the drywall contractor.

FYI change orders are usually submitted before the start of the work requiring a change order. And definitely not after you did the job That may be why they are laughing ; )

The people that bash guides and the hunters that hire them are the same people that drive a '78 Granada and hate those with a new Platinum. jealousy is as old as time itself.

I've used outfitters on hunts where it was required, and on draw hunts I knew were once in a lifetime and I wanted the best results possible. some of the best hunters I know use outfitters most of the time out of state, not because they're incompetent but because they're successful people with limited that want a successful hunt.

on one Canadian moose hunt the weather was so bad we couldn't even get into the main hunt area and the outfitter offered us a discount to come back the next year. I didn't but I thought it was very fair of him since he had no control of the weather. I've found all the outfitters and guides I've been around to be hard working good people and they had no reason to offer me a refund and I had no reason to expect one.

Life’s too short to worry about how people spend their money on their vacations. But for conversation:

The first was the classic brown bear client. Books the hunt with no research and bought a new gun just for the hunt. Showed up out of shape and no idea what spring bear hunting is. Wanted to walk all over. First day of the hunt I spot one of the biggest bears we’ve ever seen. Mile long stalk and wind was perfect. I video the bear coming in and he’s less than 100 yards away. He never pulled the trigger. Wasn’t comfortable with his gun and honestly scared of bears. Bear’s 6th sense kicked in and he was gone. Reviewing the video we had the bear under 100 yards for 1 min 30 secs. We spent the next 9 days passing up little bears and seeing one more shooter but he gave us the slip. Hunt fulfilled right? We did our part he didn’t do his part. But the outfitter decided to let him come back the next year for 50% off (18k). Prime dates and back in our prime spot. At the time I was ok with it because he hunted hard the first year. But the weather was unusual the first year, hot and sunny. Anyone that knows spring bear in AK that is not how it usually is. 2nd year it was normal, wet and cold. He stayed in his tent the whole time. He hates rain. Once we spotted a bear we would shake his tent flap and ask him if he wanted to look at it. He said if it wasn’t a shooter he didn’t care. Day 5ish we saw one and got him to 130 yards. Again he froze up when the bear was broadside. After some very choice words he finally shot and killed the bear. Even though he blew it the first year I felt terrible he didn’t get an animal. He hunted hard and nothing worse I’ve experienced than coming out of the field unsuccessful. But the way he acted the 2nd hunt? After day two I was on the bears side. But I knew if he killed a bear we could GTFO of there. Little side note, after he killed his bear he wanted extraction ASAP. I called the pilot and it was his daughter’s graduation and he mentioned a storm was coming and we would be stuck there two days. I begged for him to get the client which he did. Pilot was right, I was stuck there for two days and the client was gone to lower 48 before I got out. To this day the only client I’ve blocked/ghosted/lost contact with. Outfitter had instant regret once we got out letting the guy come back for 50% off.

Second client to not get an animal was a guy who booked a mountain goat hunt because we average 97% success. He had been on 5 previous unsuccessful goat hunts. When he got off the plane he was wider than he was tall. We instantly knew the spot we had to take him. Our easiest spot is normally reserved for 65 year old + hunters. This guy was mid 40s. Born on third base but thought he hit a triple. We got to spike camp with no problems. Woke up the next morning and walked the mile to the goats. We got above them and had them dead to rights. But he didn’t want to walk any further. That’s when he told us he’s never made it to day 3 on a goat hunt. Always gives up. We went back to spike camp that night and he seemed in good spirits. The goats were even an easier spot in the morning but he said “boys I want to go home”. As mountain therapists we tried to talk him out of it. But he wouldn’t have it. Said he’s been a quitter his whole life. Before we got off that mountain I sent the outfitter a message not to offer a reduced price to come back.

I know most legitimate outfits want all their clients to be successful if they do their part and usually try to offer a reduced price to come back to achieve their goals etc. it’s not always feasible if it’s a draw tag in an hard area. But I can’t relate JP’s coffee analogy to guided hunts. Generally you’re not selling them an animal you’re selling an experience. This is not in reference to gov tags or PLO hunts where they provide you pics of animals etc.

For me I have no interest in killing another sheep, goat or bear etc But nothing beats seeing the excitement of others achieving their goal in getting one of the above. Especially the blue collar guys who saved for years.

Glad to hear you have easier spots for some of us old farts. 😎😎😎

It must be quite a letdown when it's all coming together and the hunter checks out mentally. What's supposed to be a high turns into a bummer.

Yeah I think its pretty acceptable (within reason) to put some backing in places by the drywall contractor.

FYI change orders are usually submitted before the start of the work requiring a change order. And definitely not after you did the job That may be why they are laughing ; )

You haven't bid many jobs, especially commercial apparently. Finding areas on plans that are obvious change orders are big buisness for some companies.

Bid it cheap knowing there is a bunch of change orders down the line.

It's why I hate commercial, it's a game, similar to the trophy fee deal.

I worked for a law firm that masqueraded as a contractor.
IMG_3126.jpeg

You haven't bid many jobs, especially commercial apparently. Finding areas on plans that are obvious change orders are big buisness for some companies.

Bid it cheap knowing there is a bunch of change orders down the line.

It's why I hate commercial, it's a game, similar to the trophy fee deal.
You’re talking out your butt and that’s ok. We primarily bid commercial and industrial. You’re the one getting laughed at for submitting change orders AFTER the work. No one does that and stays in business. You better stick to residential where you have to work harder for less money. And always be up against Jose and the jalapeños.

To compare trophy fees to CO is laughable. I needed that today. Thanks!

It must be quite a letdown when it's all coming together and the hunter checks out mentally. What's supposed to be a high turns into a bummer.
It really is. Normally we can talk them through it. But it sucks coming out early unsuccessful when a client gives up. There’s always a gap between the next hunt so you’re stuck in a place you don’t want to be.

In a perfect world every hunt would go to the last day for harvest. Getting an animal day one is almost as bad as not getting an animal. But it is what it is!

You’re talking out your butt and that’s ok. We primarily bid commercial and industrial. You’re the one getting laughed at for submitting change orders AFTER the work. No one does that and stays in business. You better stick to residential where you have to work harder for less money. And always be up against Jose and the jalapeños.

To compare trophy fees to CO is laughable. I needed that today. Thanks!
I didn't say that, better go re read.

Well, here's a heads up, DAW, Standard, and every other large drywall company, pays good money to estimators to find future change orders.

Good money to their foremen who walk through and pick them up as well. Preconstruction meetings are just subs listening to a super, identifying up coming changes based on other subs upcoming changes.

As to wages. Always fun when we'd pick up a big apartment project and bring in guys from outside that worked hourly.

Just keep telling folks residential don't pay, it's good for buisnes

I didn't say that, better go re read.

Well, here's a heads up, DAW, Standard, and every other large drywall company, pays good money to estimators to find future change orders.

Good money to their foremen who walk through and pick them up as well. Preconstruction meetings are just subs listening to a super, identifying up coming changes based on other subs upcoming changes.

As to wages. Always fun when we'd pick up a big apartment project and bring in guys from outside that worked hourly.

Just keep telling folks residential don't pay, it's good for buisnes
Hey if it makes you a living I’m happy for you! As far as I’m concerned you’re doing the lords work. I hate drywall !

I'm a DIY guy, and have only taken one guided hunt. It was a flat fee, no trophy fee. The bull I killed was the largest taken in camp, and ended up being the guides Christmas card bull. So I consider that the best the area/tag had to offer.

I can see myself taking a couple more guided hunts in the future, and it won't be with a trophy fee adder.

I kinda see JP's point, and agree with him. If I'm gonna pay an adder for a guide doing a very good job (or getting extremely lucky), then the guide should put some skin in the game as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom