Gun shots during Archery season

12gauge

How many of you archery hunters heard gun shots during archery season?

I know there are ranchers or land owners that might be scaring off coyotes or what have you. We were in northern NM, on two different days, we heard two consecutive shots very near us. One of the days, we were actually on a spot and stalk and couldn't believe the elk weren't spooked. I feel it did put them on edge and they eventually headed out of the area.

Just curious if it happened in other units.

Not this year, but back in 2013 we had several shots near us in 16B. No doubt it was poachers. The funny thing the only other guys near us was the outfitter.......

We had the 2nd archery hunt this year which ended on 9/24. In years past this hunt ended on 9/22 and bear hunters could run dogs after archery season ended. Not sure if NMDGF forgot to update the regs for the bear hunters with the new archery dates or if the bear hunters just missed it, but, we had dogs running through the woods the last two days of the hunt. Never really affected us but I am sure it did others.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

well I hunted the 2nd archery season and took my shotgun with me.... it's dove season. I of course did not hunt dove where I or anybody else for that matter would be hunting...... Public Lands

I'm guessing you were in 49??? The grouse hunting from the locals in that unit is off the wall. There must be a lot of grouse in that unit or they were just shooting up the mountain for fun because I didn't see any! Very discouraging when they spook everything on the mountain with a shotgun for a little bird!

rabidrattlesnake - poachers was my first guess for this unit. it almost made me want to stop hunting and head toward the shots.

teryn - i was first archery, didn't see any dogs. i have been on a rifle hunt and actually saw dogs pursuing a bear. what a sight!

mozey - i too carry during archery season. it is illegal, but i rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...

tinemaster- unit 51, definitely discouraging when you hear shots fired...

Ya in my case we were in elk and they were screaming. We were 3.5 miles in and I am guessing they thought they were the only guys for miles. Not to mention the sun was almost down. I have a good idea who it was, but no way to prove it. We were maybe 300 yards from the shot. After the shot they knew we were there so they got real quite real quick.

what is illegal during archery season? carrying a firearm? where does it state that? I carry a sidearm everywhere I go, everyday, archery hunting or just to drive down the street. when i go out into the field, I always take my AR-15 with me, it may stay in camp or my pick up but I do take it with me, is that illegal too?

buglejunky - prior to me making the switch from rifle to bow, i called NMDGF to ask if you could carry a firearm during archery, just like i do when i rifle hunt. they stated absolutely not! i too cannot find it in the proclamation, but as terynitup stated earlier, there are probably a few things they forgot to include in writing.

you are right, NM is like the old west. you can carry a sidearm on your hip walking down the street, as long as it's view-able.

>buglejunky - prior to me making
>the switch from rifle to
>bow, i called NMDGF to
>ask if you could carry
>a firearm during archery, just
>like i do when i
>rifle hunt. they stated
>absolutely not! i too
>cannot find it in the
>proclamation, but as terynitup stated
>earlier, there are probably a
>few things they forgot to
>include in writing.
>
>you are right, NM is like
>the old west. you can
>carry a sidearm on your
>hip walking down the street,
>as long as it's view-able.
>
>

12 gauge, I would agree that some people do indeed use the "LONGBOW" during archery season, and I too feel that is completely as low as it goes. Just so you know it is ABSOLUTELY %100 LEGAL to Cary during archery season. Idk what the officer you spoke to was thinking. It's a constitutional right! I myself carry, I know outfitters who Carry,.

Just to add my two cents--I took up archery five years ago and also inquired about carrying a firearm for protection. I was told that they don't like it, but they can't tell us not to. That may have changed since then, but if so, it's news to me. I tried a word search on the latest proclamation and came up empty, but if anyone can point to something definitive, I'd definitely like to see it. I wouldn't like it, but I'll comply with whatever is the stated law.

Maybe I'll have to start carrying samurai sword... ;-)

I spoke with a game commissioner (my dad, Commissioner Espinoza) about this matter. He says they have had this discussion before, it is 100% legal to OPEN carry any firearm you want to on any day of the year, while holding any type of licence. If you conceal carry, you must have a concealed carry licence. BUGLEnmIN is correct, it is our constitutional right here in NM. The department can't change NM law.

buglejunky - thank you for reaching out and clearing that up for us.

last year, when i spoke to the G&F officer, he also stated, what's to stop me from using my sidearm to harvest said big game animal? the proclamation says "bow only," not "bow w/sidearm only." so i took his remark to be gospel.

i will be more at ease on future hunts knowing i can carry. to come back to the original question, "hearing gun shots during archery." i guess there could be numerous situations that might arise when you hear one.

I grouse hunt allot during Sept. They are VERY TASTEY... But try to go during the middle of the day when bow hunters are napping.
Shoot one and spin it on a stick over a fire... Not much better eating!! Especially if they have been eating berries.
Jack

Heard gun shots all the time during archery season in unit 53. Even the game warden told me ahead of time the locals hunt archery with a 300 win mag compound bow!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom