Gun stories

John_The_Bastard

Hello Gentle men,
Elk Asassin and others are doing their best to keep the site alive and fun! I would like to add to the mix! I was born poor in Southern Illinois and grew up loving to hunt for food and sport. As a teen ager I sacrificed and worked enough to buy a brand new 16 gauge browning shotgun.... $185.00 my brother a year younger bought a Remington. We hunted that fall and got thru the winter. Next spring we decided to sell our guns as I needed a car to move on. We took our guns to our grandmothers nephew. His name was Boone Chase. He sold guns out of his bedroom in a small poor town known as Stonefort. It was a mecca for young men like us. Lots of cool guns and pocket knives. His mother was my Aunt....Belle Chase. I bought the car and drove away and began to go to college. That fall we headed south to Boone Chases bedroom with hopes of finding a couple of guns to shoot rabbits and quail We had lots of both at the time in Southern Illinois. When we arrived Boone laid out his best selections of what he thought we might like. You guessed it. Both guns were the ones we sold him about 6 months earlier. He was pretty confident he had a sale as he charged us $5.00 more than the purchase price.Of course I still have the gun at 67 yrs of age. Tell us your gun stories MMR's
I remain......John_The_Bastard

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-14 AT 03:26PM (MST)[p]

About 30 years ago I did a Job for one of the Cedar Rats out in the PJ Forrest!

When I got done I seen the Guy packing a couple of Guns & for a Minute I was a Might Nervous!

Then He starts SPLAININ He really would rather Pay me with 3 Guns rather than Cash,He at least offered the Cash but the Gun Trade is what he really wanted to do!

I ended up with a Savage/Anschutz .22 Magnum!

Turns out to be the Most Accurate Gun I'd ever own!

Who knows how many Rounds have been Fired through it?

It's got more Notches(literally!)on it than all my Guns Combined!

If you miss with this Gun,Just kick yourself,there are no other Excuses!

I kinda needed the money at the time more than I needed another Gun!

But that's one Trade I'm Glad I made!

EDIT:

Forgot to mention it came with a WEATHERBY 4X Scope that has the Rings/Mounts/Scope that's all one Piece & Rock Solid!

I've Used & Abused the Gun for many years & Never Ever knocked the Scope off one time!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

The 2nd shotgun I owned was a Sears JC Higgins 12 gauge pump. To this day I can't remember how I came to own it. It was about three steps up from the 16 gauge bolt action which was my 1st shotgun.

Over the next six years I killed hundreds of ducks and geese with my JC Higgins. I loved that gun. All my hunting was done in salt water, and that gun really took a beating. It wasn't long and all the bluing was gone. I used to dunk it in the bath tub to get all the salt out. After it would dry, I used steel wool to get the big chunks of rust off.

It got so loose that you could push the forearm release and the forearm would fall to the open position. This made it extremely quick to fire all 3 shots. I could put 3 shells through that gun faster than any auto loader ever could.

The Game Warden confiscated it one day, and the Judge refused to give it back.

I still miss that old gun.

Eel

Hey Eel?

Rest of Story?

Warden?:D

One too many Brandt?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

one too many Brant? You were close Bobcat. You only missed it by 4:)

One shot fired, 9 brant dead. Limit=4. Lesson learned.

Eel

>one too many Brant? You were
>close Bobcat. You only missed
>it by 4:)
>
>One shot fired, 9 brant dead.
>Limit=4. Lesson learned.
>
>Eel

LMAO!

I'm not huntin with you!

You're way better of a shot than me!

More than 2 Limits with one Shot!:D

Mighty Fine Shootin there Eel!

LOL Eel!

One shot fired, 9 brant dead. Limit=4. Lesson learned.

Eel

But they were on the Judges pond on the Judges ranch. Now you know the rest of the story!

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Back in the early 1960's sometime, My Uncle's brother bought a new 264 Winchester magnum. My understanding of this rifle was that it shot so far and flat, that you didn't need to hold over the deers back as long as you could see him with your naked eye. The gun also said to have amazing knock down power, could shoot and stone dead deer over a 1000 yards away. None of us knew just how far 1000 yds was as rangefinders hadn't been invented yet but we just knew our old guns were useless when compared to that 264 Win Mag!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Did you girls see the thread about nocturnal emmisions???

1283eagle_government.jpg

Two from me.

My uncle thought about going hunting once. Bought a pre-64 M70 .338.

After years of hounding him he finally gave it to me in 1987. NIB.

In the mid 90s, my BIL asked me to help him help a female acquaintence of his (they had a similar interest in Siberian Huskies) sell some guns. Five guns safes full. So, I headed over to the central CA coast. I really wasn't prepared for what I found. The back story...her hubby died not long after the 1989 World Series/earthquake. None of her kids had an interest in his hobbies. BIL/SIS were at her house looking at Husky puppies when BIL asked what kind of hobbies.

And that is where the five gun safes come in to play. It took us a week to catalog the guns, take pictures, etc. and assign values. Then she asked which ones we were interested in. Then she insisted we take what we wanted at half the book value.

Keep in mind, his guns were very nearly untouched and un molested, some were NIB.

The highlights of my shopping trip included two NIB M57s, one NIB M29 Nickel plated and one M1 Carbine. I got the carbine for $175. And all the ammo/magazines were included.

I WAS JUST WONDERING....WAS THERE A CORVETTE SPLIT WINDOW COUPE IN THE GARAGE AS WELL......JUST KIDDING YOUR STORY SOUNDS A LOT LIKE A DREAM!
j_t_b

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-14 AT 02:02PM (MST)[p]JtB,

Does your dream go like this?

edit; Feddock, that's quite a story. You find cans full of old coins in the Garage, Safes full of unwanted guns, and who know what else. A charmed life there guy!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

On my 12th birthday my Dad took me down to the local hardware store and bought me a 20 gauge Coast to Coast master mag. The first year I shot one pheasant. I was better on the ducks as we had a corn field for a back yard and there were enough ducks to turn day to night. I would have to guess there were several thousand ducks came into our field that evening. I set up at the top of the field in the ditch. They landed in the bottom of the field and started jumping each other up the field. as they came in and landed about 20 yards from me a Greenhead spotted me aiming down the row, he raised up and quacked really loud. As the flock raised their heads the 3 inch mag number 4 went off. When I showed up at home with 9 dead ducks from that one shot my Mom wasn't as happy to see me as I thought she would be. After I plucked all 9 of them, I vowed to never shoot another duck on the ground. And 36 years later I have kept that commitment. I kept track of a lot of numbers and I reloaded over 10,000 rounds that I shot through that gun. When I was sixteen my Step Dad took it away from me and give me a 12 gauge side by side (a real man?s gun). He took mine to a pawn shop and sold it to them. A week later I told him I could not hit anything with the new gun and wanted mine back. I still remember walking into the pawn shop and seeing it on the shelf, I was so happy it had not been sold. It had a tag on it for $20. So my Step Dad made a deal with me that I would hunt birds with each gun and shoot a box of shells out of each and see how many birds I killed. The 12 gauge went first and I got 6. With the 20 I got 24, one took two shots. I might have cherry picked a bit. That year I killed 69 pheasants and over 100 quail and 100 chucker.
I was asked to shoot skeet one time at work. When I got there and pulled out the old 20 gauge I got a few laughs. They all had really expensive over-n-unders. They explained to me how it worked and that they usually went a dollar a bird. Not sure what that meant I asked and they explained it to me that everyone shot their round of 25 and the one with the best score got a dollar a bird over the other guys score. So I said the worst is it could cost me $25, yep, so I was in. After I shot 24 in a row I said why do I still have one more when I'm done? Joe said that usually when you miss one you ask for it again. So being cocky I asked which one was the hardest to hit and he said the one you just broke. So I asked for the low one to come right at me and missed it. Bummer I shot 24 out of 25. Needless to say I left with more money in my wallet. That is the only skeet I have shot.
I went to a Turkey shoot once and shot some trap. After I won three Turks in a row they came and asked me what I was shooting. When I told them it was a load of 7 and a half, loaded with Blue dot, they excused me from shooting. I didn't know it wasn't cool to shoot mag loads at trap. I did wonder why there shots sounded so wimpy. I still have the old gun. Not much bird hunting these days but she still works just fine when needed. Thanks for the post as this brought back lots of great memories.

DZ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom