Gun to Buy

mossback50cal

Very Active Member
Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a rifle. I already know I either want a 7mm or 300. The caliber is not what I am asking. I am asking what brand and model. I have looked over a few, a Remington Model 700, and a Weatherby Vanguard. What has been your best rifle?

Winchester M-70 w/controlled feed/extractor (always a top choice), Tikka (smoothest factory trigger), or Savage (don't knock the new ones).
There is a nice 300 WSM M-70 Winchester on the Classified bulletin and the price is pretty right.
Happy New Year,
WyMo

I have always shot Rem 700's but I'm starting to think Tikkas shoot just as good or better. The last gun I bought was a Tikka and it shoots sub moa groups and has a decent trigger and it was cheaper than a Rem.

Lots of good choices out there. Wish I could have one of everything, but in my opinion, it's hard to beat Tikka for the overall value. I have two T3s: a 7mmRM and 300WSM. Before you make a decision, if you know someone that has a T3, get them to let you shoot it. I stumbled on my first (the 7mm) almost by accident--the price was good and the guy behind the counter swore up and down (as all salesman do) that I'd be thrilled with it. At the store, the gun just felt good in my hands and I figured for that price it was a low risk worth taking. For once, the gun's performance actually matched the hype.

If you have money to burn, step up to a Sako.

Buy a Rem 700, bed it and put a break on it, then shoot it to see what you have. You can then build off that action if you want to go custom.

My suggestion is Tikka T3.
I own 3 of them & my hunting partner has one, they all shoot extremely well out of the box & even better after bedding.

Another buddy bought a really goregous Winchester in 300 WSM and has sent it back because it just won't shoot, the replacement rifle that Winchester sent him is no better - best it can do is like 3" groups at 100 yds with any ammo. This tells me that Winchester being brought back is no better than making them in china.

You can't go wrong with the Tikka, plus they are very affordable.

P.S. - stick with the 7mm or totally change your mind & get a 338 yellow bastard!!

^You sure it was the guns Gambler? ;)

My bud's 60 inch Polo from last spring...FN manufactured M70 in 7WSM shooting the 139gr Hornady GMX

3877polo_i.jpg

One shot through the top of heart at 642 rangefinder yards...deaded.

He also smokes the hell out of 'yotes with it at ranges up to 8-900

I think all of the guns listed will do a great job. One of the reasons I started using Tikka is that I was told they have a 1 MOA or less guarantee. I take that anytime. TK

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-12 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]haha! Yep I'm sure.

The first rifle I grab if I have a rifle tag to fill is my M70 stainless w/BOSS in 7mm rem mag, with a bedded H&S stock shooting the same bullet as your buddy with his AWESOME polo ram at 3326fps. This of course is the original Winchester. I don't think FN has the quality control they should. I'm sure they produce a few one holers, but not that I've seen.

If I ever won the lottery that would one of the first hunts I would go on. What the heck do they have to eat? All the video's and pics I've seen of Marco Polo sheep show what looks like nothing but rock.

** edited typo's **

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-12 AT 00:15AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-12 AT 00:04?AM (MST)

^Hey brother, guess I gotta admit that I wasn't exactly playin' fair with ya...the thing (stainless) has been fitted and bedded in a Wildcat Composites stock, and rebarreled with a Gaillard. Though I have heard a few sob stories about older (proper) Model 70's accuracy, but I'm pretty certain them fellers must've not been quite the straightest of shooters

I still like the new Winny actions, and will most likely build my next rifle off of one...

For now, I still rely on my old work mule: a Ruger M77 in 7 rem mag. Had my buddy Christian up in Trinidad perfect that horrendous factory trigger (an absolute necessity on many older Mark II) to just over 2 1/2 lbs pull, with no take up, minimum creep, and close to zero overtravel...prints nickel sized groups @ 100 with good loads

I don't apply for (much less draw) many rifle tags, and I've never shot at any big game animal over 486 yards, which was a one shot kill on an elk cow with the above-mentioned Workhorse topped with the ol Zeiss 3.5-10x44. Took a range, cranked elevation, held on, and let 'er rip. Through the lungs...deaded.

Mossback, I do agree with these guys that the Finns make fine guns as well, and the venerable Remy 700 has a rightfully wide following...I just don't prefer either of them.

I'd also strongly recommend against the installation of a brake (per someone's above suggestion)...if recoil is ever a big enough bother as to negatively affect your accuracy, there is absolutely no shame in stepping down in cartridge. Hell, the .06 and -08 families have been righteously responsible for killing more Western big game than the all the fancy magnums combined!

Anyway, cheers and Good luck in your search. You'll know when ya find 'er...she'll shoot straight and feel just right ;)

Gambler man, I think them Polos must augment their diet of rocks with plenty of snow and ice, and drink Frozen Wind cocktails after dinner! Seems like the dang moon up there from all I've heard and the pics I've seen

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/9674tajik_1.jpg

my crazy canuck bro ese Kamloops Pete's ram on the far right, before he ruined the poor ol dude's whole afternoon with the Winchester:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/8892live_polo_1.jpg

**edit---damn photos! this place sure does make it challenging for a techno-tard like me to post pics...been messin with this stupid thing for an hour...ah hell! :)

We have shot 10s of thousands of rounds with 7mm and 7mm stw. They will geter done. If your planning on going out yonder,(500+) its the right choice! If your just shooting 500 yrds and under, I would choose the 300 or 30 caliber over the .284.
I have seen so many guns (win, rem, browning, just to name a few!) shoot there arses off in this caliber with factory ammo. They are a dream to reload for, and are not near as finicky as the 7.
I don't own a 300. I have 4 in 7mag and one in stw. The stw is my baby. But I sure do wish I would of started with the 300. I would of saved so much money.
JMO

Thanks all,

I am looking at the 7mm since I have some lingering neck injuries from a car accident. Anything too much bigger will result in me having a migraine for a few days after shooting. My dad says he may give me his 300 wsm though, so this all may be a mute point. He was injured in the same car accident, and has it ported, so it does not kick very much at all.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom