Gunnison Basin

jbendy

The current 2009 Big Game brochure does not list any 4th season hunt codes for mule deer. The 2008 winter must have taken its toll.

The hunt codes are set in January, Number of tags in May. Take Gunnison, in 07 there were 15 tags in each of the 5 units for forth. in 08 after the die off they cut them to 3 per unit. They would have dropped it all together but the Code was printed?3 was reasonable IMO. 09 DOW killed all doe tags and the 4th season hunt code for Gunnison in December. To have a 4th season buck hunt the unit has to make DAU buck to doe ratios for 3 years. We all know Gunnison will not make it post hunt 2008. So the hunt code is gone. Good job DOW. Also DOW got some collars on deer in December. Gunnison is getting our own mortality study. Again Good Job DOW. I'm just disappointed my wife saw a collared deer before I did?. She will tell you about it too?.

Tomichi,

How is the winter this year in gunnison? here in N. Utah it seems pretty mild and the deer look great.

It's been a mild winter. We haven't had the week of -20, -30 temps that we usually have. Not much snow since December either. Deer and elk herds should fare well.

Dry Boot ?Waygoner is right. Good winter for the game. The storm cycle we are in right now
is not much. Road kill is increasing but not terrible. More then I like but folks are unconscious!
The month of death is coming though. MARCH is tough on our deer. The coyotes pack up then.
They drive our deer off the South West ridge tops (Wind Blown and bare) into the bottoms. There are fresh coyotes in the bottom where the snow is deep. The blood and hair spots are all on the West side of the stream just as they start up hill. This takes place in every drainage North of 50.
I just applied on line for the 6 species I'm eligible for in 09?$669?.
Point only for deer. Will have 8 for 2010. Gunnison will never be like 2004 ever again but I bet we reach the DAU plan of 40 to 45 bucks per 100 does post hunt 2009? Limited Licenses is the only way to manage wildlife. Over the counter licenses are obsolete!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom