Gunwerks???

betterlucky

Before I totally piss the wife off and bite off the price just wondering if they are worth the price? Looking at building one but my wife has a hard time with the $8300 price tag. I hope to nothing but good things so it is a little easier to order. Thanks for any info Andy

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-10 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p]Not saying they are not good. You could have a variety of the best smiths in the country build the same type of gun for about
Action 900
trigger 200
stock 400
barrel 300
bedding 150
chambering 150
total 2100
scope of your choice say high end $1000
mounts heck I will go high and say $100
Lets say you blow a few hundred more on reloading and shooting your gun your self and getting the ammo it likes.
Thats $3500 same gun made by some of the best there is.....You decide.
Again not saying anything bad about there stuff, except WWAAYY over priced.
Check it out your self. I am pretty sure they use a stiller predator action, jewel trigger, Mcmillian stock, barrel pick from the best(Krieger, Bartlien, Broughton, Rock, Hart, Shilen, Brux, etc) and most on of the gunsmiths listed on Benchrest.com 6mmbr,com
I guess I will edit that if you want there scope add $700 to my price and $200 max for Cerakote.

Wow, those guys must be really proud of their stuff. Not sure how they justify the cost of one of their rigs but if you like it go for it. For that kind of coin there are many other options that IMHO would be a better put together rifle and have better parts.
Two that come to mind are a full on build from Jim Borden on one if his actions, Stiller not even in the same league, or a GA Precision rifle with one of their actions.
Both can be had for less and will be at least as good as these.
Good luck on your choices!!

A buddy of mine checked into their product after he already had a gun built (has had nothing but problems with it) but included in the price is working up a load for the gun and shooting it out to 1000 yards I want to say 100 times so they can have the turet marked. all that takes time and time is money.

Again not saying there product is not good. The smiths names I would give some one stand behind there work. I had still think you are better off doing that shooting your self to learn the gun and for practice. Then send your data to say Leupold and they will make you turrets for not very much. Best of The West does a great job of marketing and also make a good product. If they can sell there product for that much good for them. I just think there are better options as to how to spend your money.

+1 Bogey -several companies (swaro, zeiss,leupold)will make turets to specs/data you send. Learning your weapons capabilities as well as its feel by sighting in your own weapons is a better way to insure not having problems later with any unit someone else has calibrated. Besides, its more fun.
-Sig

I am having a gun made right now. Here's the specs and the price and you can decide. I for one think that price is insane, you can have the same gun for thousands less.

Jim Borden Timberline action
Krieger fluted barrel
Jewel trigger
McMillan stock
Vias muzzlebrake
HS Precision bottom metal with removable clip
Falcon coating on all metal parts
Leupold VX III 4.5X14 with a 30mm tube with custom turret

$4005.00

This is all being done by Kevin Weaver out of Colorado Springs. His website is: www.weaverrifles.com He won't let the gun leave his hands until he has put 3 shots in the same hole himself several times. And he is willing to help you work up the best load for your rifle.

I had a custom turret done by Leupold for my .280 Browning (no custom work done to it) and it pops milk jugs at 800 yards every time. Spend time behind you rifle keeping all the stats you can and send that into Leupold and it will be spot on.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-10 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]WAY overpriced as are most custom rifles that are accompanied with a ton of marketing hype. You can have a custom rifle built with the best components for a lot less. I'm having my second custom built now.
Borden Timberline action $925
Bartlein barrel $450
McMillan Remington Hunter stock with Edge technology( all inletting will be preformed by my gunsmith) $365
Jewell trigger $200
Holland comp recoil lug $30
Wyatts magazine, mag spring and follower,PT&G floor metal $160
custom PT&G reamer throated for the Berger 168 VLD $185
custom PT&G head space gauge $30
Gunsmithing work ie; inletting stock, pillar bedding, installing recoil pad, chambering barrel, $1550
Check out http://longriflesinc.com/
A couple links to Chads work
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/bedding-question-52589/
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tired-seeing-single-shots-yet-53213/
Wes

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom