Has this ever happened to you?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
It's only happened to us twice. Once there was mud in the barrel and once a wad got stuck in the barrel from one of my famous reloads.

POS SAVAGE!

Can't Remember,it was a 300 RUM I Think?
POS Savage 300.jpg

Back in the late 70's my older brother had a Rem. 870 with awad sticking out the end of the barrel. Upon closer inspection he saw a small bulge in front of the bead sight near the end of the barrel. We figured it had happened before. Reloads...

Happened to a friend of mine many years ago. He was duck hunting when he tripped and fell. On his next shot, the end of the barrel blew open. Damn thing looked like a blunderbuss. He apparently had a clod of mud in the end of his barrel. He ended up cutting the barrel down and using it for a home defender.

Happened to me duck hunting when I was 16. Snow in the barrel of my over and under. When I shot a piece knocked my cap off.

A friend I was duck hunting with raised up to shoot at a wood duck and his gun said click instead of boom then I heard a boom but the duck jet swinging to my side so I shot it. He got pizzed at me saying I muzzle blasted him, but i hadn't shot anywhere close to him.

He looked at his gun (actually his dad's favorite 870 wingmaster) and saw that when he had stupidly tried to eject the misfires round it was actually a hangfire...blew the carrier off of the bottom and the ejector claw off of the side of the bolt. Lucky neither of us were hurt.

Both of our incidents were a product of stupidity. My brother crippled a duck, so I rowed him to shore to chase it down. When he got out of the boat, he fell and stuck his gun in the mud. When he shot at the crip,it blew a hole out the side of the barrel.

Mine was just as dumb. I sculled on a flock of birds and the first shot was a dud. It went "pop", and I could see the BB's roll out the end of the barrel. I had been having that trouble for a while and about half the time I had to take a rod and drive the wad out. This time I was just pissed so I jacked another one in and shot. It put a big bulge in the barrel but didn't blow out. That's when I bought a new barrel with the screw in chokes.

Had a similar incident as eel. Pulled the trigger on my shotgun with reloads. There was a soft boom and bbs went about 15-20 feet and land in the water. A little later pull up and go boom. About 6 inches of the barrel blows up, peels back and the end of the vent rib comes back and taps my hat. Don’t know if I forgot powder on the dud or if powder got wet, but it was just enough to lodge wad in the end of the barrel

Years ago I tripped and dropped my shotgun in the water while duck hunting. Took off barrel, shook out water, checked. And there was no mud or trash in barrel, reassembled and shot at the next duck that came by. My barrel bulged almost to the point of splitting right behind the screw in choke. We figured it was due to ice forming in the tiny gap at the threads. Scared the xxxx out of me at what might have happened. Sawed that barrel to 20” and used it for quail and other short range targets.

I knew a guy who blew his eye out accidentally loading a muzzelloader twice
everything else is guy’s blowing up shotgun from reload bluper shot

Not to me but Ive seen it happen. Older guy, pretty short with a bit of a speech impediment. Creeped up on a rabbit and didn’t realize the rabbit had stuck his fingers in the end of his shot gun. Blew up right in his face. A series of comedic calamities and banter followed but everyone seemed to make it out ok

Alot of Years ago I Was PLINKING With My 22 Revolver!

I Capped One Off & Sounded Like a DUD!

Figured I'd Better Take a Close Look!

Sure Enough,The Bullet Lodged 1/2 way Down The Barrel!

I Don't Know If a 22 Long Rifle Bullet Would Blow The Barrel Up Or Not?

But There'd Surely Be Some BLOW BACK!

Buddy did it 2x! First time in either a 243 or 260. I think there was no powder, just a primer. He thought it sounded funny, like just a pop. Second round split the last 6 inches of barrel down the riflings. Other time was hand loading OO buck for coyotes in his 10 gauge. He got powder and shot sides mixed up in his press because he was hand counting pellets. Split the receiver open on his BPS and stuck the rails in the ground. Luckily he shot from the hip and it just bruised his abdomen and burned his hand. He's since passed away. I have his reloading equipment.....and a fair number of unused reloads.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom