Have you ever been lost?

oldmossback

Have any of you guys ever been lost and had to hunker down for the night? Post your story and what you did.

I have came very close once in a new area but managed to find a pack trail then a road.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-11 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-11 AT 08:21?PM (MST)

Daniel Boone was ask the same question. His answer was ..... No but I was a might be wildered for two or three days.
So I guess my answer no ! I have always stuck to it and found my way out.
I have a few good stories of lost people we have found on the mountain. I just dont type well enough , so maybe I can tell you around the camp fire sometime.

I HAD A BUDDY THAT WAS LOST IN A SNOW STORM, SO HE BUILT A SHELTER & HUNKERED DOWN FOR THE NIGHT. ABOUT 3 HOURS IN TO THE NIGHT A TRUCK CAME DOWN A ROAD ABOUT 30 YARDS FROM HIS SHELTER, HE WAS FOUND, BUT FELT PRETTY STUPID......WHO KNEW THAT ROAD WAS THERE.......I WAS LOST HE SAID !!!!............YD. (LMAO).

I got caught in the fog once and was following a trail that I had been on before. I came up on an old stump that looked familiar. Funny thing was it was on the wrong side of the trail. It took everything I had to turn myself around and go the wrong way all the way back to my truck. Which brings up a good point. For those of you that only carry a compass, watch where you lay it when you get home. I laid mine down by my TV once many years ago, and later, just before I entered a big pine ridge, I checked my compass just for the heck of it. This time I was not turned around, but my compass sure was. It was pointing completely backwards. I guess being close to the TV had completely reversed it's polarity.

Lost? Not really, maybe a little disoriented, but had a good idea of where I needed to go, just was not sure how far it was to get there.

On Jan 3rd last year, I turned loose on a lion track at about 7 am. The lion went out of that canyon, and into some rim country with no trees. I stayed on the track, and followed it into the next canyon about 2 miles away. I could see where the dogs all stayed on the track into the canyon. I could also see a lot of deer tracks down in the bottom. I could hear one young dog barking down below.

I started down the canyon and (steep and rocky, more like a bluff going in), and fell. I hit my knee, and bruised it. I could not put a whole bunch of weight on it, but I could hobble along ok. I caught up with the one young dog and took about a two hour rest. Last I heard my lead dog was at the top of the mountain another mile or so away. I had no idea where my other 3 dogs were.

So, I started walking out with that one young pup. Problem was the canyon went farther east than south and took me away from the canyon my truck was in. When I got into the flat, I turned south and started that way.

Just before sunset, I stopped and made a fire. Ate some oatmeal, and got some water from the snow. I then took a compass reading just before dark, put out the fire and started walking again.

I stopped about 1 1/2 hours later, made another fire and warmed up again. I then made one more treck, and had to stop about 9 that night. I made a fire, and a makeshift shelter under a cedar tree, and got as comfortable as I could. At about 1030, my lead dog showed up. He gave up on that cat at some point, and trailed us out. We spend the rest of the night there, and I woke up around sunrise. I was up and down all night putting some wood on the fire, taking a nap, getting cold, and repeating the process. It was cold, but not super bad.

After sunrise, I began walking towards the canyon where my truck was, and as it turned out, I was a little better than half a mile from the road my truck was on, right near a ranch. I was able to get a ride to my truck from the cowboy.

The other 3 dogs showed up about where I turned loose around noon and I headed home.

That is the first time in 12 years of hunting that I was ever forced to spend the night. Sure made it worth it carrying a 20 or so lb pack with me all the time.

Later,

Marcial

When my little brother and I were quite young, I was 15 and he was about 11. We were backpacking up in the high uintah wilderness. The camp was for a scout camp. My dad and the rest of the group packed in monday. We had baseball or something going and could not go up until wed. We rode up with an older gentleman who was going to walk in with us and his kids.
The lake was about 8 miles back in from the trail head. After about 4 hours Kenny and I got a burst of energy and decided to head in faster than the rest of the group.
Long story short we got separated from the group. We were just young kids in the middle of the mountains. We decided the best thing to do would be to set up camp and try to force feed ourselves. We had no tent so we just laid our bags out on the dirt.
I was trying to make a game plan for the next day when I thought I heard my dad yell out our name. I jumped up and sure enough he found us at dark. We were a couple of scared kids in the middle of nowhere. I can honestly say I was never more excited to hear my dad yelling, This time it was for me and not at me. Overall the trip turned out to be a good one, The fishing was awesome.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

This story is about the worst day of my life. I knew that I would be doing all my archery hunting this year solo so I bought a gps just for this reason. I felt pretty safe as where I was archery hunting I could get one bar of reception from my cell when I made it to the top (12,500 ft.) I always carry a surefire flashlight and a head lamp and extra batteries. But with my qps and headlamp using the same batteries I didn't worry about extras. About an hour or so before dark I decided to head back slowly to the truck and hunt as I went because I had heard some bugling that direction earlier. On my way back and just before dark I found the bull I had been chasing the whole season. So I detoured a little to get the wind right. Well not long after the blown stalk it was pitch black and about another mile to my truck. I took my pack off to get my lights to find that my surefire had somehow got turned on in my pack and was completely dead. No sweat I have the head lamp. I turned it on and the batteries were almost dead and allowed only enough light to see right in front of my feet on a moonless night. I was above treeline and everything in the dark looked the same. No sweat, I have a gps now. I pulled it out to find a dead gps. I reach for my cell phone in my zippered pocket on my pants to call my friend to let him know my delema and to let him know where I was and the zipper was open with no cell phone. I am panicking now. I don't have any warm gear and I'm pretty sure I will be spending the night up here above timberline with no wood for a fire in sight. I took the barely live batteries out of my head lamp and put them in my gps. It turned on for about 5 seconds, long enough to get a heading to my truck and died. I started walking in that direction and after about another hour and a half I ran into what I thought was the trail to my truck. Luckily for me, it was. It was a pretty scary feeling. That would've been a LONG, COLD night for sure. I didn't get home that night until 12:30 and I was so tired that I just left all my gear in my truck and staggered into the house and climbed in bed. I woke up that morning to see that the window of my truck was smashed out and every bit of hunting gear I own (about $8500) was stolen. I can't think of a worse day in my life.

Moral of the story......batteries are worth their weight in your pack and no matter how tired you are, secure your stuff!!!!!

Can't say that I have ever been lost. Except for a night in Vegas trying to find the sam boyd stadium and ended up at a del taco in northeastern vegas. Which was scary!

I've never had to spend the night on the mountain, but I did get a little lost while scouting for moose last summer. I tried to hike out of a rough area during a downpour and 45 minutes later I somehow ended up right back where I started. I guess I got turned around and didn't realize I was just making a big loop. I had a little better luck on the second time around.

I've been totally lost twice. Once hunting Cabin Creek down the Gallatin in Montana in a snow storm in 1983. I got turned around and would have bet the farm the trail head was "that" way. After an hour or so the clouds broke and I was another mile or so the wrong way. I got lucky that time. From that day on I ways had a compass in my hunting pack.

I climbed El Cap in Yosemite in 1985 and got lost on top in the fog after we finished a 5 day climb. We spent the night out in a rock slide in the middle of now where. Who brings a compass up a 3000' face? Turns out instead of going north to Tuolumne meadows and our ride out, we went west around the rim of the valley. We spent the night in the rock slide that had blown out that old road and they'd never rebuilt it. As the fog lifted the next morning we were 1/3 mile from the bottom of the valley and less than a mile from out camp. Again lesson learned, if you don't know where you're going stop and sort out a bivy and the warmth of a fire. Again I got lucky and ended up close to where I wanted to go.

It's a pretty amazing feeling to really be completely lost. Building a fire and relaxing really helps calm the nerves when it gets tense in a situation like that.

Epic adventures are what make for the best stories. As they say, fondly remembered, but not so fondly done :)

Cheers,
Pete

funny you should ask

this year, got super turned around, walked 2 mile's north looking for the road when I thought I was walking east......dont ask me how and everyone at camp laughed. you will never know how but snow sure screws with the mind or the mind screws with you. the snow saved me..I was the only one around, I followed my prints back since the snow was light.......it was two miles based on after assesment of the map.

Here's a story I posted on the Bowstie several times in the and past and I will just copy and paste it here for times shake.

I've got turned around a time or two and I have spent a few nights out because of it. Here's the story of one of those nights.

Way back in the mid 60's, a buddy and I decided to go on a backpack deer hunt here in Utah. We drove an old two track road as far as we could and then hiked in about 5 miles from where we parked the truck. By the time we got where we wanted to be, it was late afternoon.

So we set up a small two man tent, grabbed our bows and headed out. Although I was just a youngster then, I was still the old man as the kid I was with was about 8 years younger than me. In those days I just hunted with a pocket knife. I never even carried a pack of any kind in those days, and neither of us had a flashlight.

We had hunted a few miles from camp and it was getting late so we knew we better get back to camp before it got dark on us.

It ended up getting dark before we got back to camp. But we pushed along in the dark and when we got to where I thought camp was we found ourselves in very thick deadfall. By now you could not see your hand in front of your face. It was pitch BLACK!

I finally told my friend that we were going to get hurt and it would be best we clear a small area and spend the night. It was Labor Day weekend and at our elevation, it was very cool. Neither of us had a coat or jacket and the downfall was so thick you could hardly run in place to keep warm.

We cleared a small area about the size of a small utility room. I told my buddy I sure wish we had some matches. That made him remember that his dad had placed three "waxed" matches in his wallet for some situation just like this.

He pulled out his wallet and felt until he found them. I took lots of time and gathered all the small stuff I could as fire starter. He struck the first match and all you could see was an orange glow and you could smell the sulfur, but it never broke into flame. He went to his second match and low and behold it lit and we got a small fire started. My buddy soon bent over and started to blow on the small flames to get it going better and blew out the fire.

Now we were down to his last match. I felt around and found my bow and took an arrow and with my knife whittled the whole cedar arrow into kindling just in case the match lit. It did and soon we had a good fire going.

My buddy slept as I fed the fire that night, wondering all the time how I got so screwed up in losing camp. As soon as the morning sky lightened, I told my buddy I was going to go find camp.

It didn't take me long to find it, as we had spent the night less than 60 yards from our tent.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

Have a good one. BB

Here's another I posted on the Bowsite that some guys got a laugh from. It was on a rifle hunt the very early 1960's

Here's one experience that happened to me when I was just about 20 years old. Most people like it when I tell the story, so I will try to keep it short and hope you enjoy it.

In the early sixties a large group of us rifle hunted elk every year in my home state of Wyoming. On this particular year we had 14 hunters. On the second day of the hunt, which happened to be a Sunday morning, we woke up to a very bad snow blizzard. There was almost 12 inches of snow on the ground and it was really coming down. The area we needed to access for elk was way too far from camp to walk, and too steep to get there, under these conditions, by vehicles without 4 wheel drive. So we all decided to head down country and hunt the lower, flat, country for deer.

When we arrived at our hunting area the storm was so bad you could hardly see 20 yards. One guy who was a good Mormon, and didn't hunt on Sunday, was just driving the truck. He was worried that some of us would get lost, but we all wanted to go hunting. It just happened that he was the only one with a compass. So he made us all stand and point, at the same time, to north. There were 13 norths! I happened to be the only one who got north correct, and I was by far the the youngest guy in camp.

Again he tried to talk us out of going, but we all said we would be careful. So off we head hunting deer, all in our own direction.

An hour or so later a couple of guys meet up with me. Boy were they happy to see me. They had not a clue where they were. In several hours all 13 guys were in a group and all suggesting 13 different ways we had to go to get back to the truck.

After some discussion, and realizing that I was the only one that felt definite where the truck was parked, and being I was the only one who had pointed to north, they said, "take us to the truck Bill."

I told them to follow me and I headed up this canyon, and came right out to the truck. Boy were they impressed with this young guy. Especially a close friend, of the guy who didn't hunt on Sunday. And on the ride back to camp, he told his friend how impressed he was with me, knowing north, and in being able to take all those guys right back to the truck.

His friend, then told him on the ride back to camp, told him, after he (Neil) finished talking, "That I got worried about you guys, and I had moved the truck two miles!"

It ended up I wasn't quite so smart after all, but they all had a great laugh and we all got back safe.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

Come on Andymansavage tell us your story of being lost. You know the one of you on the radio "this is Andy and Im lost."

Buhaahahha!

ahhhh yes i got so desperate i sleeped in my elk quarter bags one night. go ahead it was funny. i was totally turned around when i woke up i was less than 500 yards from my truck !

another time a work buddy took me to his turkey honey hole. somewhere i had never been it snowed about 8 " i wondered around for about 9 hours before i made it back to camp. everyone thought i was a hard core hunter !

yes i was never lost just missplaced.........

Yep.. been disoriented once when the fog rolled in so thick you could only see about 20ft ahead of you and I was tracking a big buck which kept circling the same direction and then I came across my off breed boot tracks and thought to myself"some other hunter is up here with my same boots!" then I realized I was walking in circles and I backtracked and got back to the pickup with about 3 inches of snow on the ground and got the hell outta there for the day! I thought I was walking in a straight line the whole time..
In "85" we left home at 4:30 pm with a horse trailer to Boise Idaho. I was alright on directions until going from Boise to Lowman and when we unloadeed the next morning at daylight I thought the sun was rising in the west instead of the east...that was a weird feeling..stayed on my buddies butt for 2 days until..I figured where the heck I was at..

Once, and I can guarantee that it will never happen again with the number of batteries I now carry for the GPS and flashlights, as well as having a couple backup flashlights in my pack "just in case", LOL!!!

I can't guarantee anything, but I keep a compass with a lighter and waterproof matches in my pack along with extra batteries for my gps and an extra flashlight and an extra knife plus a leatherman plus a space blanket and a few other odds and ends.

So far I've never spent a night out due to being lost.

I was lost twice in my life, the first time was when I asked my wife to get married and the second was when I found myself standing next to her in front of the pastor...

I don't understand how people get "lost" in the woods, that is the best place to be. Don't have to worry about other people bothering you and all you have to do is hunt and fish, that is what we all strive for right??? maybe one day I will get lucky and not come back out to my truck ;-)
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I did the same as Longun & walked in circles in the thick fog but thought the tracks in the snow were someone elses I could follow out, hey there's another dumass way down here in this hell hole, till I recognized the same trees & realized they were my own. Then I got on the radio to have the guys shoot so I could tell which way to head, no gps or compass. the shot echoed so it was really no help. I had to go down hill to get back up. then see a nice buck & shoot it. Crap, which way do I drag it. Getting dark I have it gutted & tie my drag rope to a tree. I don't know why but it paid off. ended up getting out just at dark. Then when we came back the next day to get the deer & was partially eaten by some cougars.

I went into a fog bank in AK with my boat. Figured the GPS could still get us where we needed to go find the halibut hole. Once we got into the dense fog though the on board GPS unit just turned blue. I would zoom in and out to try and find the boudaries of the channel we should have been in. Finally just ignored the gps and used the compass to get my heading in what should have been approximately home.

Problem was we nearly hit a small island that "should not" have been there. Turns out we had been in the fog for nearly 3 hours, and basically done some big spirals. I was in the biggest part of the bay and had just circled this island in one of the spirals. Being in the big bay was why the standard zoom on the on board GPS could not find my boundaries. That also meant the wakes we had been cutting across thinking they were some other boat ahead of us were really just our own wake!

Went to the gps menu and pulled up a zoomed out version of the charts, and finally found myself. Funniest part is that once we went maybe 1/4 mile, the fog was gone and it was a sunny day out. The rest of the day we fished within 1/2 mile of that fog bank and it never lifted off the bay in that area.

My cousin and I went deer hunting above Wallsburg (back before cell phones and radios). It was early morning and we were hunting along a ridge heading South East. We split up and were going to meet back at his truck for lunch. I was back at the truck at about 1 pm but, my cousin was not there yet. So, I waited and waited and waited. A couple hours after dark a sherif SUV came up the road. As he pulled up and stopped my cousin jumped out of the SUV. He said thanks and the sherif drove off. Obviously, I was a little perplexed so he began to explain.

After we split up that morning he had circled around a hill and began to head back down the ridge. As he went down the ridge he just knew he was getting closer to his truck. However, after walking down the ridge for a number of miles he finally realized he wasn't on the right ridge. At this point he decided to drop down into the canyon to find the road and then figure out where he was and how to get back to the truck. He finally made it to a road and began walking down it. After a few more hours it was starting to get dard a truck finally came by. He asked for a ride back to his truck. When the driver asked him where he left his truck, my cousin said up above Wallsburg. The driver said that Wallsburg was way over on the other side of the mountain. He then told my cousin he was clear down in Hobble Creek. He was given a ride down to Springville where they contacted the sherif department. Who ultimately gave him a ride back to his truck.

I'd forgotten all about this so, I need to remind my cousin about what he did and give him a few jabs.

Smokepole

Been lost many times, never spent a night out but after stumbling round in the dark half the night there's been times I wished I would have crawled up under a boulder and built a fire.

First time was when I was 14. I don't know how many of you have spent much time out on the flat prairie but 50 years ago there were still places that had miles of unfenced pastures. From the back of a horse you can see for miles in all four directions and there are no land marks, not a tree or a hill, or a "nothing" to get your directions from. The sun is all you got to go by. Well, the day was overcast big time, no sun. Drove 15 head of horses 20 miles, 180 degrees in wrong direction, got to a town 30 miles from the ranch. Looked at the name on the grain elevator and said: Oh, sh!t. It was long after dark before I flopped in the bunk-house bed.

Those Ponderous forests south of Winslow, AZ aren't my favorite place to charge out into without a compass or gps either. I've walked passed my outfit more than once in that little piece of paradise.

Course, I haven't been lost in the Durfee's (5 miles from my house) like cannonball has, but it could still happen.

DC

No, I have never been lost or disoriented while hunting. I learned at an early age how to spot reference landmarks so that I could always get back to the pickup(day hunt)/camp.

crextin,
Great advice, works almost every time, but those rare times when it didn't..........long nights. The more times I've you've been lost, the more comfortable being lost gets.

DC

3 or 4 years ago we decided to go horn hunting at a game range that opens up at midnight. So we headed out of town around 6 p.m. after we got off work and headed towards the range. We decided to stop at a little place called Trixies, a small bar/restaurant only about 10 or so miles from the game range, for a bite to eat and a couple beverages. We still had a few hours to burn till midnight so we hung at Trixies for quite some time. Soon we were in line at the gates.
Midnight comes and a line of trucks are making their way into the Grizzly bear infested mountains in search of elk and deer horns. Soon all the trucks have bailed off the side of the road and their occupants dash into the darkness with their flashlights. We had never seen the game range in the light, and had no idea what was further up, but we were sure it had to be good... We were wrong, 4 or 5 miles further than anybody else had driven and we decided to start walking. Since we had spent so much time at Trixies, we had developed un illness... we were drunk. 3 of us blatantly walked in the dark with no clue of where we were going or coming from. Our driver, followed along poking jokes at us the whole way. Soon it was break time and my buddy pulled out 3 budweisers for "break time" Hours later we found the road we were parked on. I was sure we had to go left, while my other buddy knew we had to go right. We went left and walked down the road for miles only to find it was the wrong way. So we had to take our now totally sober dragging bodies and force them to walk the few miles back to the truck.
Needless to say, we all learned many valuable lessons that day.
1. don't spend to much time at Trixies.
2. When tromping around Grizzly country, be sober... we were sitting ducks for a bear
3. Make the driver lead you, since he was the sober one.
4. Don't go further back than everyone else.. they knew where the horns were... we didn't find jack.
In recent years we've found the spots to go in these areas...
"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

I must be really out of touch. What is a game range, and why does it open at midnight? I have never heard of anyone, let alone of a bunch of ones, going hunting sheds in the middle of the night. Why was the "game range" closed in the first place and why did it not open up in day light hours? I'm probably going to feel really stupid when I find out the answers???

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 10:51PM (MST)[p]>I must be really out of
>touch. What is a game
>range, and why does it
>open at midnight? I
>have never heard of anyone,
>let alone of a bunch
>of ones, going hunting sheds
>in the middle of the
>night. Why was the "game
>range" closed in the first
>place and why did it
>not open up in day
>light hours? I'm probably
>going to feel really stupid
>when I find out the
>answers???

In Montana, all the major wintering ranges for elk are shut down to public use until May 1st or 15th. They just call them Game ranges... Haven't really figured out why they open it at midnight. I think maybe they just wanted it to open up at precisely May 15th? It has made for some fun times though. All of the the other ones open at noon. I have heard talk that they are going to change all the dates to the same date and all will open at noon to keep from overcrowding one area.

www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com

Thanks, Wyoming closes winter ground to motorized vehicles and shed hunting until May 1 also. They just never put a time to it.

>Thanks, Wyoming closes winter ground to
>motorized vehicles and shed hunting
>until May 1 also.
>They just never put a
>time to it.

Basically the same thing, i'd be willing to bet if there is an area where all the big buck or bull congregate in Wyo, people will start hitting it in the dark just to be the first ones there. Pretty much what has happened here... In order to have the best shot to find horns you have to be there as soon as possible.

www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com

Last years spike elk hunt I had to make the search and rescue posse call. My buddy brought his dad down and opening day we got on a heard with three spikes and put them to bed with plans of getting on them the next day. We went back the next day and foun them in the same spot and started our 800 yard sneak down the end a ridge point that had a severe drop off down to the meadow they were in. On the way down, my buddys dad that had bum knees and couldn't side hill or hike up hill (messn our stalk) noticed two big bulls walking to the left into the next canyon. After a little coaxing and letting him know that they were of no use with a spike tag, we continued to get into position. Getting tired of waiting on him, I let them know the exit route if we got broke up. I left him and his son to go ahead of them to see if the elk were still where we seen them last. Several hours into this, I find them, back off and go back to let my friend and his dad know. When I found my buddy, his dad was missing and he did not have the slightest clue where he was and he was not awnsering the radio. By 6:30 that evening, the snow was setting in and still no dad. Long story short, at just shy of midnight, in a blizzard, Sanpete county search and rescue found him toward the top by skyline drive. He had chased those big bulls up into the next canyon and had broken into an old ranger station to get shelter. He was on that mountain for the first time with no food, no matches or lighter, no gps, no flashlight and dead battery's in the radios and wound up six miles up into a whole different canyon bad knees and all.

In the incident below, I wasn't lost, but I did hunker down for the night. This is my LAST SHOT column I wrote about it 20 years ago for AZ Hunter and Angler magazine.

Copyright by Tony Mandile

ONE-DOG NIGHT

Thirty years have passed since my first venture into Arizona's great outdoors. During that time I've had both some good and bad experiences. Thankfully, most have been of the former variety.

One experience I never had was getting lost. Oh, I had times when I was slightly "turned around," but none where I had absolutely no clue as to my location. Consequently, I've never spent a night away from my main camp unless it was intentional -- with at least a basic supply of necessities. Like most of us probably do, though, I frequently wondered how I'd handle it.

My late grandfather indoctrinated me early about the perils of being unprepared if it becomes necessary to spend the night away from camp. So I committed myself to carrying matches, an extra candy bar or two and water in areas where it is scarce. Under the right circumstances a person can live many days without food or water other than in the hot desert. So the candy and water were simply feel-good conveniences. But the matches seemed the most important to me.

We often read stories about people getting lost and dying. These accounts continually upset me, especially when the victim had spent only a night or two in the woods. I always wondered how someone becomes a casualty in such a short time. Yet it happens too many times every year.

Most folks who get lost die of hypothermia, the medical name for exposure. Characterized by a rapid lowering of one's body temperature and uncontrollable shivering, it soon causes disorientation and a loss of energy. Death is the final consequence. Hypothermia frequently follows panic, a common occurrence when a person becomes lost. Of course, it's very disheartening because the tragedy can be avoided if a person keeps his head on straight.

About five years ago on a lion hunt with Joe Mitchell in the Mazatzal Wilderness Area near Rye, I finally found out what's it like to spend a night in the wilderness alone without any food, water or equipment.

Luckily, I knew where I was all the time. But my camera, a .357 handgun, matches, a candy bar, a light rain jacket and one of those small, silver, reflective Space blankets made up my meager supplies. Unfortunately, the flashlight I had diligently stuffed into my small pack remained in Joe?s truck, where I had forgot it. About the only panic I had, though, came with the realization of having only three cigarettes. I knew I had to ration them to make it through the night and part of the next morning.

Mitchell and I had cut a hot track early that morning and stayed on it for six hours. Eventually, that track crossed another track. The dogs, confused by the second track, split into two groups. So I trailed one bunch, while the Joe followed the other. At sunset, my group of dogs were nowhere to be seen. I dropped off the ridge into the canyon where Mitchell had been about an hour earlier. He was gone, too.

Realizing it was at least a five hour walk to camp and thinking I could make it before midnight, I stumbled through the darkness along the meandering trail. It was a bad decision.

With no flashlight, I lost the trail three different times when it crossed the stream bed, got smacked in the face by an unseen branch and had more than one prickly pear cactus deposit its spines in my shins. I decided hiking in the dark without any moonlight was not my thing.

Thoughts flowed readily, but panic was not one of them. Instead, everything I had read or been taught about this kind of situation came to mind.

I began looking for a protected place on the trail with enough nearby firewood to get me through the night. Such a place existed only a few yards up the trail. A downed tree, though somewhat rotten and and a bit damp, offered plenty of firewood, and the light from my cigarette lighter revealed enough dry kindling nearby to sustain the wet wood. After building a fire ring out of rocks on some level ground, I gathered enough small wood to get a blaze started, broke the rotten log into smaller pieces and stacked them outside the fire ring. As the pieces dried from the heat of the fire, I would have a continuous supply of larger chunks to burn.

The warmth from the flames quickly countered the chill from the March evening. Hungry and weary from hiking around the up-&-down wilderness all day, I ate half of my candy bar and saved the rest for breakfast. I then cleared a "bed" next to the fire within easy reach of the drying wood. With my rolled up daypack tucked beneath my head and the Space blanket covering my torso, I snuggled up beside the now blazing fire and savored a few puffs from one of my three cigarettes.

A few minutes later, a noise that sounded like something walking through dry leaves came from the blackness. Just as I reached for my handgun, one of Mitchell 's hounds wandered into the light of the fire. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Here, Jake," I called.

The hound moved warily toward me, then stopped several feet away, moved to edge of some oak brush and laid down on a bed of fallen leaves.

Thinking it was nice to have company anyway, I shrugged and said, "Suit yourself. See you in the morning."

I turned, facing the fire, and tried sleeping again but worried about Joe and what he would think. No doubt he might imagine the worst. Just then, the sound of rustling leaves made me look over my shoulder.

Jake, with head lowered, cautiously crept to where I lay, circled once and then lowered himself to the ground and pushed up against my back. Providing a bit of body heat for each other, my canine buddy and I went to sleep.

Over the next 11 or 12 hours, I woke often to rekindle the flames with a fresh supply of wood from the dead tree. And each time, I lay back down, Jake wiggled his body closer to mine until he finally managed to get under the blanket, as well.

The next morning, after a five-hour, uphill hike, Jake and I reached the main road. I immediately heard the whine of an ATV. As the three-wheeler came around a bend, the driver spotted me and stopped.

"Are you Tony?" he asked.

"Yes."

He then told me he was Mitchell?s dad and had arrived the previous night. "Joe called me and said you might be lost. He drove down to Rye this morning because he thought you might come out that way. Did you have a bad night?

"Well, I could use a cigarette and a sandwich. But other than that, I'm fine. I spent the night with a warm fire in front of me and a warm dog behind me."

The man smiled. "Oh, you had a one-dog night, huh?"

----- 30 -----

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

A few years ago while hunting on the Manti with my friend we were into a few groups of elk calling right before dark. We came down on a finger of a ridge on a rather lightly used trail that unless you were walking down it, it would have been hard to find notice if you stumbled upon it. I split off from my friend continuing to hunt and I had been in the area just one time before. Because of all the elk screaming around me I was having a fun time checking them out but soon came to my senses that it was going to get dark soon and I made my way back to the direction of the trail. I must have missed it and ended up missing the finger of the ridge (which was much easier to hike on rather than going up ridge after ridge to get to the top of the skyline drive north) and ending up climbing out the hard way through downed timber. I felt that panicky feeling when you realize you are in trouble because darkness starting falling rather quickly. I had a flashlight and firemaking materials that I always carry, problem was that I was out of water from my water bladder since I had been out all day.

Now because it was during the muzzleloader it was cold but I knew it wouldn't get below 35 degrees or so, so I began to mentally prepare myself to calm down and make a fire. I must have climbed up about 5 or 6 ridges before I started my fire around 10pm that Sept night, I wasn't that scared at that point that I would die but I was worried my friend's would panic and go call my wife or search and rescue and I knew I could get out without extra help! Funny thing was that as I sat by the fire I thought I could hear tires on gravel and after a time I decided to put out the fire after drying off my sweaty clothes and carry on. I climbed one last small ridge and made my way out to the main skyline drive dirt road completely exhausted but grateful I was out of the timber. I knew which way was east and west but I misjudged how long the finger of the ridge curved and I ended up coming out way south of where our camp was. Luckily around 11 I saw the headlights of my buddies 4 wheelers as they searched the road for me. I learned a lot that day from this experience, first, make sure you have enough water for unexpected situations and second, if you are hunting an unfamiliar area don't split off from the people you hunt with.

I lost my truck once walking out in the dark. Actually ended up to far to the west but once I hit the road it was no biggy. Started taking my gps with me after that, lol

I grew up in farm country in Midwest. Hard to find a patch of timber there you could not hike from side to side or end to end in less than an hour or two. If you walked hard for 4 hours, you would certainly cross a paved road and a few 2-track dirt roads.

I move out West after grad school and a buddy from grad school who knows I hunt and lives out West gives me a GPS. Doesn't weigh much and is a fun toy so I take it on my first hunt in big timber. I will hike in from a forest road through big timber for 3 miles and sleep in a lightweight backpack tent.

I drive up to the mountain for the hunt after work on Friday and pull off to the side of the forest road. I remember to turn on the GPS and mark the location of my truck. I load up my 50 pound or so pack and off to the races. I reach some deadfall in about 10 minutes so have to veer a bit then I need to bail off a ridge then up a ridge then more deadfall then another ridge. Is daylight but can not really see the sun due to big timber. After 45 minutes I stop for a drink of water and decide to check my path on the GPS since feel I may have veered a few degrees off course.

The GPS shows the truck is 150 feet away. "Piece of crap" I think but for giggles I walk towards the "truck" since that is the general direction I feel is towards the camp site I will set up. Imagine the chill I get when I see my truck through the undergrowth a minute later as am walking.

I would have bet anything I had covered over a mile of the 3 mile hike to camp during the 45 minutes. I put down the tailgate on the truck, had some water, and started out again but this time using the GPS which acted up some in the timber but beat the heck out of my "sense of direction" that had served me well in farm country, ha ha.

I fully understood how someone could get lost in timber out West. Whole different ball game than farm country.

Left my phone in the truck to go out into the duck marsh. Later before night fall, i was heading out and noticed a man walking in the opposite direction of the parking lot. we were about 1.5 miles out at that point.
I caught up to him to turn him around and by then the sun had completely gone down and I got turnded around. This guy Had fallen through the ice earlier that day and was a little dilutional to say the least.
After about 2 hours of walking aimlessly through the marsh i caught a glimps of some lights way of in the distance and was finally able to oriente myself. After a quick prayer, I headed towards where i thought the truck should have been. The guy I had found was wanting to camp there over night and rambled on for a while about his family etc. I was nervous that he was going to do something weird.
We stopped and took a short break wherehe had me hold his pack which had 7 boxes of 3 1/2 inch shells but no water nor food and i discovered that he'd been out since sun-up. We resuimed our journey through the toolies only to discover that he left his gun about 400 yards back where we had rested.
I told him that i would go on a little farther and look for something familiar... but I had no hope of getting out of there that night.
Finally though I found the dike and soon thereafter my truck. I called 911 and they sent out two county sheriffs and we found the guy who thought i had left him for dead. haha

They helped me get him back to his car which was another mile+ away but he left his sportear ear muffs in my truck and i have been unable since to locate him to return them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom