Help with Book Cliffs LE any weapon hunt.

Timberbuck

My friend drew this tag and after his first 5 day scouting trip he is not seeing many elk at all. He has never hunted this unit before and is looking for any advice that anybody may have.

I realize there are guides operating in this area and I am not looking for their honey holes. I do not see a problem asking for advice from past tag holders as this is basically a one in a lifetime hunt.

His hunt starts mid september.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jon

They are are there in just about every drainage holding water! They just become very nocturnal this time of the year trying to stay away from the heat in thicker stands of cover! You can catch them very early and again late evening!! But it will be real spotty through out the day, unless you go in after them, and you don't want to do that yet!! But really don't worry for your friend he will do just fine when his hunt comes around! Especialy if he puts in his time and learns the area and where water sources are, and tell him not to be afraid to look into areas away from roads and close to thick cover with feed and possibly quakees some where close. This will prove to be well worth it!! And remember where he is finding cows now, he will find the bulls there by the time his hunt comes around!!
I haven't been there since a year after the fire accross the top, I wonder how that area would be now? Might be something to look at!!
Good luck to him and post pictures and tell us how he did!!

Work to hunt!! Live to hunt!! And the rest spent keeping the wife happy!!

Tell him to be patient. When my dad had this tag we went scouting in mid August and didn't see much at all. We went back around Labor Day and it was a totally different story. There were elk everywhere and in just about every canyon we glassed. The bulls were bugling, herding cows and very active. When those bulls get that lovin' feeling, they will be a lot more visible and accessible.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom