HELP WITH TRANSPORTING CAPES

• Thread starter never_satisfied
  • Start date
N

never_satisfied

Ive tried a dozen times on antelope and deer and cant seem to ever get the cape off the skull without hacking it up.
I have a hunt planed in a good area this year in Wyoming for both deer and antelope and have to get something figured out.
It will possibly be 5-10 days after we shoot are animals before I can get the capes to my taxidermist.
So I'm planing on capping them out this year to the base of the skull and then putting the cape with the antlers attached to
the skull in a cardboard box with news paper and dry ice
Has anybody tried this or anything else
Any suggestions would be appreciated

It only takes about 5 minutes to get the cape off the skull. Then another 20 minutes to flesh it, turn the ears, lips and nose. Then you can salt it down, dry it out and be done with it. Get a hold of your local taxidermist, preferably the one you will use to mount your animals and get him to show you how to properly cape an animal out. It will be one of the best things you can learn to do. Gives you peace of mind when you are on that drop camp or wilderness hunt and can't get out for several days.

Colorado Lion Hunt:

Mineshaft Lion Hunt:
http://trophyroom.com/video/lls8ViwJcT

If you don't want to learn to cape out the face then I suggest wrapping the chilled head in an old down military sleeping bag. Put dry ice inside.

I agree with fullcryhounds. If you are planning to hunt for many more years take the time to learn how to properly cape an animal out. It will be worth it in the end.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom