HELP WITH WY DRAW SYSTEM

huntinguy

Looked over the non resident big game application booklet last night and am very confused on how the draw system works. It seems that there are regions and subunits within those regions that allow for different types of hunt opportunities. I get that "special tags" are easier to attain if you pay the extra dollars.

I guess my question is does a person apply for a whole region or for a subunit? I just want to

I would like to hunt mule deer around Evanston, being from Utah, and just don't quite get how it works.

On a side note is there some good public land in Southern Wyoming over by Evanston?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-11 AT 01:24PM (MST)[p]Deer areas are made up of regions. Some areas with a region may be limited quota, in which case you'd have to apply for that specific area if you wanted a shot at the license. Otherwise, apply for the region, but you can't hunt the limited area if you draw the regional license, with few exceptions (some limited quota areas you can hunt on a general tag, though there are limited seasons for that specific area). Special draw doesn't gaurantee a license, nor does it gaurantee to be an easier draw. It typically is easier, though, if you pay the extra money. As with any general region in the state, you will have to work hard to find a nice buck.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-11 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]In addition to what was mentioned, all antelope licenses are issued by individual units. There are no Regional licenses for them like there are for deer. For elk you are generally going to find the same thing, as the majority of the units must be applied for separately. However, there is also a general tag that usually requires 1 PP for a nonresident to draw it and it is good for a number of units throughout the state. You just need to do your homework and look at all the maps, along with the season dates and individual restrictions. I think Wyoming is pretty simple after you study things for awhile compared to a state like NM that drives me nuts trying to figure things out! I have to take my pointer out for his daily run right now, but I'll try and get back on this thread this evening to help you out on your last couple questions.

huntinguy---I looked over the draw odds, as well as the public land in the southwest part of Wyoming on my CD ROM and here is what I came up with. First off , you would need to apply for Region K in the draw. There are no individual Limited Quota Units in that Region, so the tag is good for that whole area. However, you have to go way over to the eastern half of Unit 132 to have any amount of public land to hunt because most everywhere eles is private land. Also, the odds for 2010 show that in the Random Regular Price draw there were 401 people who applied as a first choice for the 73 tags available, so the chances of drawing the tag aren't too good. In the Regular Price PP Draw those with one PP had a 92.21% chance of drawing the tag. I didn't check into the higher priced draws. I would say that unless you want to pay that higher price to have a real good chance of drawing this year that the way to go would be to apply for Region K in the Regular Draw and buy a PP. If you are lucky and draw the tag, the G&F will refund your $40 PP money. If you don't draw the tag this year, you should be able to draw it with your one PP in the 2012 season. I hope that helps you a little and good luck in whatever you do!!!

WB---I guess NM isn't really that bad after you get into their system a little bit. I have been doing Wyoming for so long that any other state seems difficult I guess, LOL!!!

Topgun that was over and above anything I could have expected in my asking for help. Great great info. Thank you so much!

No problem! A guy has to have something to do to get through all these winter days up here in Michigan, LOL! If you need any other help, just give a shout, as I have a lot of fun on the computer doing this kind of research to help others.

There is a considerable amount of "walk-in" hunting in the Evanston area on private land.These areas can be very good hunting,as road hunters are eliminated.

Great advice nontypical! I wanted to get that post up on the BB last night after the game for him and forgot all about looking in the WIHA and Hunter Management sections in the G&F website to see what that area contained.

How is the deer wintering in region k this year around Evanston? I may try to put in my 12 yr old foer a region tag. He is not ready for region G or H.
Thanks.

Ditto what has been said. Most of the country north of Evanston is chedkerboard, public/private. But if you go online after you draw you can get access, free. Just don't wait.

I took my wife and son on their first mule deer hunt in "K" in 09. It was only 3 days since I had to get to NM to hunt elk. They both had shooting opportunities and I'd never hunted the area before. Actually passed on forked horns. Their lack of success was my fault since I didn't prepare them well before the hunt. When you are pushing deer in canyons, taking 10-20 seconds to find the animal in the scope doesn't add up to success.

We're going back when we have enough points to draw antelope there too. Hoping for a nice combo hunt. Sept 25 antelope and Oct 1 deer.

Deerlove---According to the 2011 Application Booklet, all four units in Region K open on Oct 1 and there is a 3 point antler restriction in unit 132, which is the eastern most unit.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom