HELP!!!!!!!

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Ok, I finally got my elk back from the taxi and I gotta say, he looks AWESOME!!
The problem is that the wife says he STINKS!!!???!?
I think she narrowed it down to the horns but all I can smell is dirt and tree sap there. Anyone else had this problem and if so can we do something about it? She says she can't stand the smell and we're going to have to fix it or he has to go......

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-09 AT 07:06AM (MST)[p]Take him out side and give him a bath..use regular scented liquid fabric softner mixed with hair conditioner...hang him on a pole, take water hose and get him wet..try not to get alot in the ears, its gonna happen so dont sweat it much, just dont stick hose in his ear..(ears probly were smell is coming from, i see them piss right on their own head)...lather him up good, all over...just be fast about the bath..you won't rehydrate his cape if you are fast...now if you soak him with the hose for 30 minutes you may have problems..dont scrub around eyes/mouth/or nose...thats the painted parts...
if he does rehydrate,it would most likley happen at the ears, and one may drop or change positions...just put it back to the position it was in(tie to antler or any means to hold its position, 1/8 steel rod in the ear) until its dry...

another option is take him back...he should have been deoderized by your taxi from the start...I know you have 800 invested atleast.

The problem with this curtis...if the smell is coming from the cape and not the horns, one of two things is going on..1)i doubt your taxi had your cape wet tan comercially, scent would be gone if he did...2)its more than likely been done with dry preservitive or a in house tan/home tan...the in house tan would be ok, but the dry preserve I would be pissed about..The cape has a good chance at cracking (especially with wood heat/electric)in time, when done with dry preserve. I and most taxi's in my area wet tan everything now a days.

Curtis, have her give it a couple of months. If you really think it is the antlers and she does not want to wait dampen a rag with pine sol and wipe the antlers down. You cant hurt them. Then when they are dry wipe them down again with lemon oil.

What is the smell she smells? If the taxi just finished in the last couple weeks there may still be some moisture in the cape. That would give it a slight chemical smell. It just has to dry out. I never found that to be an unpleasant smell.

Maybe she just doesnt want him in the house?

You can always hang it at my place and I will let you come visit :)

I have been boiling heads so everything else smells good to me.

Cookie,

I noticed ours smelled a bit at first. I think it was the horns and they smelled like elk spuzz/urine? It goes away fast. WD-40 gives horns their shine back and may help eliminate the smell? Use it sparingly though. A little on the rag and wipe them down. Dont spray the horns from the can.

You may try that. I wipe mine every 6 months to a year. I think the smell is normal with a big stinky!;-)

I think the smell is coming from the mane but not too sure. Sprayed him down pretty good with febreeze before I left for work. Maybe it'l air out soon and I won't have to decide who gets to move out!!!!!!

Option 1.)As I recall you've got a nice shed out back right???

Option 2.) Call step daughter in c-bad and ask if mom can move in since she lived with you for so long.

Option 3.) I have 3 spare bedrooms and your elk is lonely and would love to join my herd!

All options above lead to your overal happiness, any other desicion will lead to your demise! :)

He who stomps the greatest stinky wins!

Here's a couple of shots but I live in a damn trailer so I can't get far enough away from him to get a good shot!

49cf06675d4d21f6.jpg

49cf06975e1d0439.jpg

Now stop cussin' me Vinny!!!

Elk looks great!! Now post up a pic of the wifey and we'll let you know which one should go... ;-)

Move her chair to the other side of the room. I think you have it figured out, Febrezze it for awhile and see if in a month it still stinks.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

First off.... Littlemonster, it ALREADY smells like a pine tree!!
She won't let me post her pic because she says no matter how good she looks you guys are gonna go with the elk!!
Stinky, you're herd looks like it could use a little thinning. I really don't think you're pasture can take another one, what would he make it....6?

heheh...smart woman, we are kinda weird that way... ;-)

I have five different heads hanging on my walls and planning to add another elk and deer in the very near future. The wifey has already delivered her ultimatum that if something new goes up, then one of the others has to come down... :-(

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom