Henry Mountain Mule Deer

Jdan9

It appears that Utah will be offering non residents a chance to draw an archery tag and a muzzleloader tag in 2009 for this unit, how good are these hunts?
jd

The Henry Mountains are as good as it gets probably of the top 5 trophy mule deer units in the nation -world class in my opinion- These hunts would be unreal Good luck drawing a tag though you might be 70-80 years old by the time you draw.

I'm a non-resident with 14 points & would love to draw the Henry's archery hunt. Wonder what the odds will be because I can't wait too many years unless I can use a wheel-chair!!!!!
David

I had a friend that hunted the
archery hunt in 07, he spent all
3 weeks there, he said you can not
comprehend the number of bucks that
he seen, he had several chances at
smaller bucks, but he was chasing
a monster, and came home empty handed.

You probably have a better chance of hitting a large jackpot in Vegas and purchasing a conservation permit.
The odds will be out of sight I'm betting..

You can bet that every hunter application service will recommend the area. With the new change allowing a non-ressy to apply for every species, I expect the draw odds will be at least 2500 to 1 (if not much higher).

What if you had 15 NR points? There is only one NR with 16 and 20 with 15, do you wait for the rifle tag or try archery or muzzle?
jd

There will more than likely only be 1 non-ressy tag. Therefore, it will be a random draw tag. Your points will help you slightly, but wont guarantee you a tag. Same situation as trying to draw a non-res sheep tag in Utah.

The only odds I can find for last year were for any weapon. If you had 15 points, you had a 100% chance. With 14 points, you had 0.5%. Pretty steep drop.

That said, 14 might be close to drawing an archery tag. By opening up more options, they have spread the high points people around a bit more. I would probably have to give it a try if I had 14 instead of 3!

The thing to remember though is that when you figure your odds, you can't really put 14 in and think that will give you an accurate reading. Remember that all the people that had 14 last year are still ahead of you, so you have to figure you will have the same odds at the people with 13 last year.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

TX,

The reason 15 points had 100% draw is because there were 3 non-res permits, ensuring 1 permit would go to the applicant with the most points (a bonus permit). Since there will more than likely only be 1 non-res permit for the archery and muzzy hunts, it will strictly be a random draw for the tag.

My understanding is because there is one NR with 16 pts, who will get a Henry MT rifle tag as the max pt holder, they rest of us will be in the random draw for the 2 remanining rifle tags and the one archery and the one muzzleloader tag. So I can assume as of now my 15 NR pts won't help me a lot.
jd

Thats right. But, the one with 16 points may decide to use the muzz. I hope so.

I have 15 NR points, my buddy has the same, there are 18 others, anybody else on this sight have 15?
jd

points don't matter on a 1 tag only draw!
every ones odds are the same!
gen draw treatment.
rm

RACK
THAT NOT TRUE, IF YOU HAVE 10 POINTS THEN YOU HAVE 10 NUMBERS IN THE DRAWING IF YOU ONLY HAVE 1 POINT HTEN YOU ONLY HAVE ONE NUMBER IN THE DRAWING

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-09 AT 07:17PM (MST)[p]>RACK
>THAT NOT TRUE, IF YOU HAVE
>10 POINTS THEN YOU HAVE
>10 NUMBERS IN THE DRAWING
>IF YOU ONLY HAVE 1
>POINT HTEN YOU ONLY HAVE
>ONE NUMBER IN THE DRAWING
>

Rack is talking in real world odds. In a one tag drawing for the Henry's, having max points would raise your odds from about 0.05% to about 0.5 %.

You definately have better odds of drawing with max points, but does raising your odds all the way to a 1 in 200 chance (0.5%) seem like that much of a leap? Surely nothing that you can take to the bank for having max points.

And of course, when you have 10 points you have 11 chances to win and 0 points you have 1 chance.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>RACK
>THAT NOT TRUE, IF YOU HAVE
>10 POINTS THEN YOU HAVE
>10 NUMBERS IN THE DRAWING
>IF YOU ONLY HAVE 1
>POINT HTEN YOU ONLY HAVE
>ONE NUMBER IN THE DRAWING
>

"that not true", if you have 15 points, you have 16 numbers in the draw. If you have 0 points, you have 1 number in the draw. If you have 1 point, you get 2 numbers in the draw.......

Andy

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom