Henry Mountains Archery Management tag

inarcher

Good day.

Had the good fortune to draw the non-resident archery management buck tag in the Henry Mountains. That's the good news. Bad news, I'm going to miss the first week of season due to a coastal black bear hunt in Alaska. Still, that leaves two full weeks of hunting. Typically, I would arrive the week before season opens, but that just isn't in the cards this time.

To date, the plan is to hunt the north end....starting at Mount Ellen and only work my way south if necessary. Not looking for the biggest management buck in the Henry's, just a solid representative. Will be looking for mass, height and spread...in that order. Viewed several photos of great management bucks taken by members of this site. Hopefully, I can find one of similar caliber.

I've been told cell service is not available and a four wheeler would probably come in handy due to typical road conditions. Truck is a 4X4, so that option exists too.

Will be bringing a base camp, possibly setting up at one of the campgrounds. Also have a good bivy setup I'd like to bring along, as I prefer to hike off the beaten path. The big question mark being, are there enough reliable water sources for that type of hunting? My maps seem to be lacking in that regard...meaning either missing info on the maps...or reliable water sources are scarce.

Getting a feel for water availability is the main reason I started this thread. But any advice from those familiar with the Henry's is appreciated. It has been nine years since I drew my LE elk tag in Utah. If this hunt is half the fun I had in 2010...it will be a great trip!

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Had the same tag last year - shot you a PM - will help you out.

647254ad872b572a49498664cbf3a48b0363.jpeg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-19 AT 04:05PM (MST)[p]Sweet buck barner!
I have the regular archery tag this year inarcher. I'd be happy to share any info on a management buck if we turn a nice one up. There is water everywhere right now. We were over this weekend and bull creek pass is still impassible due to snow. Still about 7 feet deep on the north exposure where is has drifted in. Growth is looking pretty good but make sure to take a couple of spares and a plug kit for your tires. We ended up with two flats this trip.
Also, I'd certainly be appreciative for any advice barner. Looks like you did extremely well!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-19 AT 04:47AM (MST)[p]If ya need to stage anything for your hunt, you are welcome to do so here at my home Paul, even if ya mail it then pick it up on your way.

You would have to come across I-80 and then drop down to the Henries, instead of I-70.

Exciting hunt for ya man

Robb

What great responses guys!

barner07 - Nice buck, congrats! Followed up on your PM instructions. Appreciate it!

Neverdrawn - Great to hear about the water sources. Congrats on your tag! Does that mean you are going to be changing your handle soon? LOL! Sent you a PM.

PleaseDear - Appreciate the offer Robb! If I had only known about this tag before arranging my Alaska flights, that idea would have been great. The way it worked out, I'm going to have to drive from Indiana to Utah after Alaska...so plenty of room for all my gear.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-19 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]Hi inarcher!
this year should be a an absolute stud of a year. I work down on the Henry Mtn and do a ton of exploring down in the area weekly. this year is looking to be fantastic for horn growth and i don't think you should have any issue finding a respectable management buck. to answer your question about water, the answer is yes but really is area dependent on the area. last year was more difficult to hunt this way because many what once was reliable sources of water were dried up. including copper creek on Ellen which usually never dries up. this year will be completely different and water will be abundant in most of the creeks if the run off still holds. as we speak, there is still about 4 feet of snow at the Bromide Basin on Ellen that has yet to run off and probably won't till mid July. most canyons and creek beds should hold pot holes and water sources throughout the entire range. as regarding cell service. you do have some service but it is spotty at best. road conditions are generally ok but bring spare tires. i usually have about a flat every couple weeks when I'm down there because every rock down there is shaped like a knife. I'm gonna continue to be down there a lot. looking and scouting for deer. if you have questions or want to know what I'm seeing down there let me know and i will share anything i get with ya.

Been to the Henry's once on a short trip to experience the majesty of the deer there. We went a couple weeks before the archery opener back in 2016. The hype is real. Without any effort, we saw many 180 class bucks and a couple pushin the 190 mark. That was over just two days. We even saw one giant 3x4 that was well over 30" and if I had a regular tag, he might have been my choice to pursue even though he was a 3x4.

Given that you will be there after the first week, you might find fewer hunters. You will see more bucks than you can imagine, in fact, it will feel like there aren't any does.

You may have the most fun ever on a Mule Deer hunt seeing animals. Also, having the management tag, you may find other hunters (and their guides) a bit more friendly to you. :)

Good luck and I hope to hear more about your hunt and experience. Video if you can. Photos at a minimum.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Appreciate it BrowningRage. The more I hear about the Henry Mountains, the higher the anticipation level. If it weren't for the Alaska trip, I'd spend a month up there!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Alaska....but this is my 3rd trip in eight years....and black bear don't hold a candle to mule deer on my list. This Henry's management tag is likely the best mule deer tag I'll ever draw.

I would put on a set of airbags and a air compressor with a air tank for fill your tires/quad tires/ trailer tire etc on it with a quick disconnect. They are pretty slick. if that is too spendy GET the best cig lighter pump that you can with a long plug or reach all the way back to your far tire.
Sure makes life easier.4 way tool to change out different lug tires. truck & quad and trailer
Get the best plug kit you can and have it with lots of plugs.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom